Sign in to follow this  
gauchoand

You Catch Anything?

So the other day in Snowflake we walk out of a gas station (a Maverick) and this lady sees us in our Camo. Well we had just finished the unit 27 junior hunt after a long and grueling ten minutes into the season.... (I won't post a pick cause its not my buck but those Barnes triple shock copper bullets are hardcore.) anyways

She says

You guys out hunting?

We say:

Yeah!

She says:

Did you catch anything?

Ok here now whats the proper response? Do I say: No we ran out of non-lethal bullets so unfortunatly we had to kill one. Or Yeah we caught one, have him tied up in the back of the truck. Every time I hear that question I can't help but laugh. Now, I know there are people out there who don't understand but Its just funny to me. So what would be the funniest thing to say?

Like for example.

After a long stalk from over a half mile away... we finally got up on him.... and BAM my friend here pistol whipped him.... we got that turd real good he still is knocked out there. of course add all the proper actions in for additional affect.

Additional on the hunt saw a ton of antelope three of them bucks biggest probably

14'' and would have been able to take out two yotes..... If the truck could

accelerate faster. Then spent some time squirrel hunting took out a few, the kids

did.

I wish I had a dollar for everytime someone asked me "did you catch anything"?, I'll just tell them "yeah I caught me a nice deer", goof thing I brought a rope instead of a rifle.

That area you were in has a small herd of Antelope with a few nice bucks, I took some pictures of them last year when I was in there.

Will you be able to post some pictures at some point?

OK i guess i will have to walk down the street and see the deer he got then. I knew he had the right guide for the job. :lol: :lol:

Yea, I've had folks ask me that way before..... :lol:

'What's the proper response?'??? There's not one single proper response IMO.... I generally chalk it up to ingnorance and give them an answer. I know the meaning of what they were asking, whether they worded it right or not doesn't much matter to me. ;)

S.

:)

That ignorance scares me. More so that more and more people have it now a days. Some of you may know that I'm going to school right now studing Wildlife Conservation and Management and I think most people would be suprized at the dynamics of the classes. My Mammal Management course this semester has about 30 people and I would say only about 4 of us hunt. The rest are clueless on a lot of topics. We just had a necropsy lab this past week and I felt like the TA because I had my Javi done in just a few minutes and everyone else was still standing around looking at their animal wonder what to do, so I had to help them all.

I think it’s great that some people want to learn but when I look at some of those people in those courses I don't want them managing our natural resources.

Sorry to vent on here or if what I’m saying seems irrational. I’ve been really frustrated with school. The wildlife program is falling apart with instructors leaving, budget cuts, and the director of the school taking it in the direction of a global climate change school.

I have had people ask that same question and I wonder if they really mean it as catch or not? Are they really asking if you killed something and just using the word catch? It always strikes me as a very odd thing to ask a hunter, but perhaps they mean did you get anything? I don't know...it does kinda irk me though and I don't tend to respond well to it....hehehe

So far, I like the "yes, good thing I brought my rope instead of my gun" answer!

Amanda

That ignorance scares me. More so that more and more people have it now a days. Some of you may know that I'm going to school right now studing Wildlife Conservation and Management and I think most people would be suprized at the dynamics of the classes. My Mammal Management course this semester has about 30 people and I would say only about 4 of us hunt. The rest are clueless on a lot of topics. We just had a necropsy lab this past week and I felt like the TA because I had my Javi done in just a few minutes and everyone else was still standing around looking at their animal wonder what to do, so I had to help them all.

I think it’s great that some people want to learn but when I look at some of those people in those courses I don't want them managing our natural resources.

Sorry to vent on here or if what I’m saying seems irrational. I’ve been really frustrated with school. The wildlife program is falling apart with instructors leaving, budget cuts, and the director of the school taking it in the direction of a global climate change school.

Wow, that's a real bummer. When I went to undergraduate school for wildlife I wasn't a hunter, but most people in the classes were, so it was different than you are describing! Those are the people that will be the wildlife managers in the units too!

Amanda

I don't goof with 'em. To me they are non hunters that are genuinly interested in my hunt. Hunters are in the minority in this country and I try to keep in their good standings........we might need their vote one day.

I get that asked about every weekend when I get back to work.. I belive most people have some sort of personal experience with "catching" fish, so they just think harvest means catch I guess.

I always look at this as an opportunity to foster good relations with nice folks who are non hunters, but are curious. These nice people made the effort to ask and to strike up a conversation, so I do not try to correct them, I just smile, try to make them feel comfortable, and show them whatever is is I "caught". I would never want to offend or alienate them. We (as Hunters) need all the support we can get!

just my 2 cents

TJ

Dang it...and you just had to mention it was in Snowflake right....you couldn't have left that small detail out......but wait....that is critical because "Snowflake" hasn't lost touch with......well, OK, maybe we are losing touch with..........

Sorry about the poor representation from the Snowflake area.......it is kind of like the lady who asked me if we really ate the deer we killed......I asked her where she thought the steak dinner she was eating came from.........

Lots of out of touch people........

gauchoand.....next time you are in Snowflake, holler and I'll go catching with you :lol: :lol: :lol:

I had a similar instance at a Subway shop in Sahuarita last winter....A buddy and myself were out chasing some coyotes along and a we came into grab a quick bite and the conversation went kinda like this with an elderly pony-tailed gentlemen with a nice tie-dyed shirt on....

guy in line: "Are you hunting?"

Me: "Yes were hunting"

guy in line: "What are you hunting?"

Me: "Varmits"

Guy in line: "What kind of varmits."

Me: "coyotes, foxes, and bobcats"

Guy in line: "what do you do with them after you kill them"

Me: " I skin them and sell or tan the fur"

Guy in line: " do you eat the meat"

At this point i look at my buddy and kind of give him the smirk.

Me: "Not usually, why do you wanna try some"

Guy in line: "What does it taste like?"

Me: "Coyote is kinda crappy cause they eat a lot of dead stuff and its tough"

Guy in line: "Are you gonna eat the ones you kill today?"

Me: "Probably not today, but I can bring you some to try if you like"

Guy in line: "Oh no thanks, I'm a vegetarian. I just think it is a shame to waste such precious little animals and not eat them"

At this point I kinda just get move from messing with the guy to thinking what old bag of bones this burned out hippy was and the gag was over. But being the gentleman that I am i left his with one more offer for some coyote steak to which he kindly declined.

I always look at this as an opportunity to foster good relations with nice folks who are non hunters, but are curious. These nice people made the effort to ask and to strike up a conversation, so I do not try to correct them, I just smile, try to make them feel comfortable, and show them whatever is is I "caught". I would never want to offend or alienate them. We (as Hunters) need all the support we can get!

just my 2 cents

TJ

dang, thats one heck of a reponse there! I dont think it can be said any better than that... Although, I would politely correct them.. "You catch when you fish, you harvest when you hunt."

I wish I had a dollar for everytime someone asked me "did you catch anything"?, I'll just tell them "yeah I caught me a nice deer", goof thing I brought a rope instead of a rifle.

That area you were in has a small herd of Antelope with a few nice bucks, I took some pictures of them last year when I was in there.

Will you be able to post some pictures at some point?

U take that pic at Upper Eagle Creek?

"dang, thats one heck of a reponse there! I dont think it can be said any better than that... Although, I would politely correct them.. "You catch when you fish, you harvest when you hunt."

Thank you Casey! I like your polite correction. The more people we win over the better it is for the future of hunting. I've stopped and changed flat tires for anti's, (in full camo) and won them over, at least temporarily, with compassion. All they need is one good example sometimes to start thinking maybe we aren't so bad after all! Rock on Brother!

TJ