AZHunter95

Any luck with Gun Safe in Garage?

2 hours ago, campmeat said:

this feels like some kind of fed post.... lol  I lost all my guns on a boating accident!!!

If they come for them and your answer is “I lost them” you’re 2A’ing all wrong….

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Sobrbiker said:

If they come for them and your answer is “I lost them” you’re 2A’ing all wrong….

Ruby Ridge strike a bell?

• Like 1

Arsenals don’t fit in safes…

• Like 2

You can always do like my dad did and just get the whole side of the house extended 4 or 5 feet .He's got a gun storage room the length of the side of the house .Three safes in the living room ,one in the addition,and two more in the garage to boot.The old man is a gun instructor,hunter saftey instructor.In the next house I'm going reinforced walls and door frame and  vault door .Way more room and about the same cost as a few safes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Crazymonkey said:

You can always do like my dad did and just get the whole side of the house extended 4 or 5 feet .He's got a gun storage room the length of the side of the house .Three safes in the living room ,one in the addition,and two more in the garage to boot.The old man is a gun instructor,hunter saftey instructor.In the next house I'm going reinforced walls and door frame and  vault door .Way more room and about the same cost as a few safes.

Your dad just became my hero. Brilliant 👏 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Crazymonkey said:

Friend did the same when he built a house recently…built in a reinforced room in the basement for all his guns and gear. Come to think of it my uncle did the same in his basement a few years ago has 2 rooms…one is guns and ammo and the other is all his hunting clothes and gear. 

• Like 2

Sorry I meant to answer the OP question too…my friend has had his safe in the garage In Tucson for years. Never any issues that I’m aware although I would personally be concerned with its visibility when he comes and goes or if kids leave the garage open. 

• Like 1

I've had my safe in the garage for 5 years now.   No issues.   Not sure how hot it gets in the summer but I don't think of it as a big deal.   I also have it so it can't be seen from the street.  Inside the house is more ideal but I don't think it is a deal breaker.    

• Like 1

I kept mine in the garage for about 5 years but back in the house now that my son moved out. The only issues were some of the butt pads sticking to the thin cheap carpet in the bottom of the safe due to heat.  No damage to them though.

• Like 1

I know the OP has made his decision, but for other people maybe searching in the future....

I had my safe in the garage for a few years.  Definitely saw some shrinkage in the stock of a couple of my better shotguns.  Didn't like that at all.  I also worried about some ivory grips on a 1911 shrinking and cracking.  Nothing cracked though.  

If you're a polymer and stainless guy, no problem.  If you have some expensive sticks of wood, think again.

• Like 1

For anyone else considering the garage option: One other thing to consider is to make sure that your slab is not a post-tension slab if you are going to drill into it to mount your safe. This can cause a big problem if you hit one of the tensioning cables in the slab.

• Like 2