Sign in to follow this  
EagleEye

Fatal 4x4 accident “stuck truck”

What a tragedy! Good info and needs to be shared. When I was a teenager I saw a chain slip off a stump a guy was trying to pull out. It went through the back window and windshield. Missed the guy's head by inches. I never forgot that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trphyhntr said:

There’s a couple videos of dudes pulling stumps out and the stump flys out and wrecks the truck

Better to blow them up as long as your out on your lower back forty.

• Like 1

I doubt many of us get the opportunity to pull ourselves out often, maybe others, though.  I was surprised to see the tube itself failed.  I had never heard about not using the ball but it does make total sense, especially with the long moment arm of that drop hitch.  However, there does seem to be disagreement on using the pin and the author backs that up. I had never heard of a recovery kit, either. I'm a bit surprised that some of you did not go straight to don't drive a Ford?  Helpful video!   

ps:  The one with the bolt on plate would not fail in shear, more tension and maybe flexure.  The stuck force is so variable depending on the mud and depth.  He really stuck that thing deep.  On the limited times I have been stuck, going forward has always been a mistake.  I got out being pulled backward 3 times I remember but they were not anywhere severe like this one.  Seems like experience is the real key and go find a professional.  Anybody like the author here in AZ? I bet that is sure expensive!  Would be good to have these type guys saved in your phone.   

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Big Tub said:

Anybody like the author here in AZ? I bet that is sure expensive!  Would be good to have these type guys saved in your phone.   

Yes. Arizona 4X4 Off Road Recovery. Joe was the owner but he passed away and now Carl is running it.

https://arizona4x4offroadrecovery.com/

602-697-8306

Just put him on my phone.  I would of not thought twice about using the ball, great thread...  Need to get a recovery kit now.  

• Like 1

Been solo stranded twice with different vehicles, different times… walked out in the dark, and was able to recover the next day with friends. Ugggggg. (I THINK I learned my lessons, or vehicle limitations!) Since then bought a high lift jack recovery kit, winch capable to use on the front and rear of truck’s bumpers, and long battery cables to power the mobile winch. Later, I saw Joe’s gnarly 4x4 recover truck driving in the East Valley with like 5 mounted winches and variety of specialty equipment/ropes/chains. I copied his phone number and then made a phone acquaintance for myself and others that ‘do what they shouldn’t do, go where they shouldn’t go’. At that time… $160/hr starts when he gets in his truck and ends when he delivers the broken/stuck vehicle where you want it. Cash, no insurance. Probably money well spent when you figure time value of money for yourself and helpers, potential of breaking sh** trying to do it alone, plus risk of bodily harm. I have the number still saved in my phone with Carl as new owner. 🤙🏻

A shovel and HiLift Jack can get alot of people unstuck. Those should be the first 2 primary tools in anyone's recovery kit. 

Straps, winches, chains, etc should be plan B alot if times. 

I'm going to endorse a guy on my work crew whom does off-road recovery work. I know well he gives stranded motorists priority over his day job and does remote welding, under carriage and metal fab work too when needed. Put this name and number in your phone.

Mike Morgan +1 602-397-7897

• Like 1