Sign in to follow this  
CouesFanatic

Archery Kills rolling in already

Wait, more deer were killed in the units with good deer populations and nicer weather? I’m shocked. Plus a spike Muley has more meat than a mature coues…

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ForkHorn said:

I think the data shows it's a lot easier to kill a muley with a bow than a Coues.

FIFY. I'm mostly kidding and I agree with the rest of your post.

That said and to further agree, the harvest in one week between species with consideration to the population of each, makes me wonder if young mule deer have been more subject to advancing archery equipment and OTC hunters than the standard explanation of drought, habitat fragmentation, cattle, etc. Just a wonder. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CouesPursuit said:

FIFY. I'm mostly kidding and I agree with the rest of your post.

That said and to further agree, the harvest in one week between species with consideration to the population of each, makes me wonder if young mule deer have been more subject to advancing archery equipment and OTC hunters than the standard explanation of drought, habitat fragmentation, cattle, etc. Just a wonder. 

doesn’t look like many desert muleys are getting killed. Apparently 24a 

• Like 1

Desert mule deer get a prorate for sure, a different animal if you will. Again, just a wonder that young mule deer have endured too much OTC archery harvest.

8 minutes ago, creed said:

Am I missing something or is it just speculation that spikes and forkies are being killed alongside the road.

Speculation, just like it being a race to kill.  I know plenty of guys who didn't go out opening weekend.  Looks like my areas will be open in Dec. 

Would anyone speculate otherwise?

I don't look forward to hearing about pressure in the units still open in December/January.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CouesPursuit said:

Would anyone speculate otherwise?

I don't look forward to hearing about pressure in the units still open in December/January.

Nope, that would be the stereotypical speculation.  I think the same amount of deer have been getting killed for years.  I guess it's a little shocking to see actual numbers, but not surprising to me.  As far as spikes and forks getting killed off the road.  Nothing new imo, small muleys almost always give you shot from the road, same as cow elk or spike elk for that matter.  Dec/ Jan will almost for sure have more people concentrated in the open units.  Adapt quick because I have a feeling this quota system will not make it 10 years before it is draw only.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HuntHarder said:

Nope, that would be the stereotypical speculation.  I think the same amount of deer have been getting killed for years.  I guess it's a little shocking to see actual numbers, but not surprising to me.  As far as spikes and forks getting killed off the road.  Nothing new imo, small muleys almost always give you shot from the road, same as cow elk or spike elk for that matter.  Dec/ Jan will almost for sure have more people concentrated in the open units.  Adapt quick because I have a feeling this quota system will not make it 10 years before it is draw only.

No disagreement there.

Anyone have an point restriction studies they know of?  I have mixed feelings on them.  I would like to see some of the benefits and downfalls of them.  Not opinions, like actual facts.  Who here was hunting when we had point restrictions?  If you were, do you remember why they failed?

Reason northern units are filling  or filled, is the 1000’s of people heading north. Just drove down from Heber to the valley this afternoon( don’t ask why) traffic backed up 5 miles going into Payson.  Saw about 4 trucks pulled off the 87 south of Payson.  
Hunt in 80 or below vs 95 plus? No brainer. I’d love to set a deer mannequin off the 300 road next weekend and watch

• Like 2