Sign in to follow this  
CouesFanatic

Archery Kills rolling in already

11 hours ago, Ohthatguy said:

After a respected member here reached out to me, I did a little checking on the meaning or definition of "poaching" by the AZGFD,  and now it's clear.. as mud...

From AZDFD:

Poaching is the illegal take of game or fish, trespassing, littering, theft or destroying property.    (This is the ONLY definition of poaching I could find)

Also from AZGFD:

Are all violations for unlawful take of wildlife considered “poaching?”

Poaching is considered to be the theft of wildlife resources from the public trust. The term “poaching” carries certain connotations with the public. Unintentional or inadvertent take of wildlife, particularly when self-reported, is not considered poaching. It can be said that, while all poaching is illegal take, not all illegal take is poaching. More simply, poaching isn’t hunting, and hunters are not poachers.

So, on one page it's poaching, on another page, not so much...

A question that did come to mind and about this incident:

Will the civil penalties still apply? 

Also, did they do away with the 4x trophy deer 10K fine? I didn't see it when I was flipping through the regs. I know some of the commissioners didn't like it as their hands were tied. 

The question was asked of us, I would ask the OP, after all the replies and beatings on here, do you feel you poached a deer? 

Either way it's one deer in "one of the 40's" that I won't have the chance to chase later.

Its all technically poaching but I would put someone that goes out with a spotlight, out of season, shoots a buck, cuts off the antlers and leaves it to rot on a much different level of poaching than someone that admitted they screwed up, turned themselves in and took the processed meat and horns into game and fish to hopefully be salvaged.

But its still poaching.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2022 at 8:08 AM, 10Turkeys said:

My bad, not an archery hunter, but every OTC tag that I have gotten from G&F for lion and bear has had the season dates on them.

What did they say from Jan-1st til Dec- 31st

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wish2hunt said:

What did they say from Jan-1st til Dec- 31st

Negative. I would look at the tags, but they ended up in some sort of soup. Going by memory, which gets worse with age and not better, as a matter of fact if my name wasn't inked on my arm, I'd probably forget it also. I don't think either season started until August sometime.

1 hour ago, 10Turkeys said:

Negative. I would look at the tags, but they ended up in some sort of soup. Going by memory, which gets worse with age and not better, as a matter of fact if my name wasn't inked on my arm, I'd probably forget it also. I don't think either season started until August sometime.

Found mine…haven’t made my soup just yet. The printed OTC tags from AZGFD have an issue date and a “valid through 12/31” date. The Wally World handwritten carbon copy tags just have the issue date and they’re marked with the year for the tag. 

1 hour ago, trphyhntr said:

52 in 1 and 27 probably won’t close so be open another week to get hammered. 

almost looks like someone at G&F made the executive decision to close it. Jumped to 55. 

18 minutes ago, CouesFanatic said:

almost looks like someone at G&F made the executive decision to close it. Jumped to 55. 

I think it was 4 away a couple hours ago. 

• Like 1

Kind of surprised with the lack of kills in the SE units. 31 and 29 seem to be the only 2 units in the SE part of the state where deer are getting shot. Also thought there'd be more muleys being shot in these units. Guess everyones hunting up in the cooler mountains instead of down in the hot desert. 

15 hours ago, OpticNerd said:

Kind of surprised with the lack of kills in the SE units. 31 and 29 seem to be the only 2 units in the SE part of the state where deer are getting shot. Also thought there'd be more muleys being shot in these units. Guess everyones hunting up in the cooler mountains instead of down in the hot desert. 

Lots of opportunity to walk around with a tag in your hand still.......actually wish I wasn't so d a m busy. Seeing how these are playing out this year I might plan ahead for one of those less popular units just to get out of work!!!!

Either headed to a draw or minimum antler points for a few of these units.  It doesn't matter what you set the harvest limit at if you have the until Wed and sundown rule.  Sure is an education to me on some of these harvest numbers. 

• Like 4

I didn't realize some of these units had so few deer taken. Or they are just not being reported.

14 minutes ago, ronk said:

I didn't realize some of these units had so few deer taken. Or they are just not being reported.

I’ve been wondering the same. Especially the southern units.