creed

Crossbows

13 minutes ago, NOTAGS said:

Crossbow hunters will be killing significantly less deer in the new harvest than compound hunters due to sheer numbers.  Probably a  non significant amount.  The seasons will close due to young bucks being shot by  road hunters for the most part.   You guys whining about crossbow killers should perhaps focus on antler point restrictions if you’re so worried about Xbox success.  That will keep the archery season open much longer than banning bows.

You got it wrong no tags. I recently lost 50% of my left arm. Just because someone doesn’t like crossbows during archery hunts doesn’t mean I am going to be sitting at home wishing I was hunting. I could give two shits what they like. I switched to a left hand bow. That didn’t work. I am going to try traditional.  If that doesn’t work I don’t have a problem with a crossbow.   Mouth tab? No way. 40 years of Copenhagen resulted in mouth reconstruction. I got too much money involved to risk shooting a mouth tab. 

5 hours ago, creed said:

Lol! Time or circumstance is going to catch you guys.  You will see things differently. 

Wrong. Some of us have have too much pride to cheat 

1 hour ago, trphyhntr said:

Wrong. Some of us have have too much pride to cheat 

Okay.   I don’t. I use a sight, rangefinder, release on my 300 fps compound  

I think crossbows have a place but I also believe the use is being greatly abused.    We should all focus our efforts to minimize the abuse.    I read crossbow permits went from 70 to 7000 in a matter of a few years.  Would be great if someone could validate this data. 

9 hours ago, creed said:

You got it wrong no tags. I recently lost 50% of my left arm. Just because someone doesn’t like crossbows during archery hunts doesn’t mean I am going to be sitting at home wishing I was hunting. I could give two shits what they like. I switched to a left hand bow. That didn’t work. I am going to try traditional.  If that doesn’t work I don’t have a problem with a crossbow.   Mouth tab? No way. 40 years of Copenhagen resulted in mouth reconstruction. I got too much money involved to risk shooting a mouth tab. 

I think you misread my post.   I too had to put down the compound after a third shoulder surgery. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, HuntHarder said:

I have a torn meniscus, can I get a crossbow permit? 

you should have to shoot left handed, with both eyes closed, while standing on one foot to make it fair as it is

• Haha 1

This discussion on who qualifies for 'crossbow status' or not reminds me of 10 years ago when medical weed became legal.   A couple of guys I know suddenly were diagnosed with ailments that qualified them for a 'medical card'.  LOL

I saw a very l young healthy woman shooting a crossbow at usery a couple years ago and her husband said she was practicing for her archery elk hunt. She was able to get the permit because she was pregnant…..i’m all for crossbows for certain people but G&F really needs to tighten up the requirements. It is REALLY being abused. The form is a joke and any doctor can sign it. It basically says that it hurts too much to pull 30lbs. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In all honesty, it will be the bad apples that ruin crossbow hunting for people who ACTUALLY need one.  I have mixed feelings on how I feel about them, but I have never been in some guy's shoes, to feel that feeling of never bowhunting again.  I'd be all for splitting up archery and giving the traditional a season as well.  As technology advances, success rates are going to continue to climb.  Muzzleloaders are not even in the same ballpark that they were 30 years ago.  Compound bows are better, but not by a wide margin.  In 94 Mathews had bows that topped 300 fps IBO.  Today, I would say the average IBO is 330-340.  Not a huge improvement.  Crossbows only advantage used to be the ability to cock and walk.  They were never known for being accurate at long range.  The new ones shoot over 400 fps and are accurate over 100 yards.  Huge improvement over how they used to be.  Just my .02, going back a little on tech would not be a bad thing imo.  Traditional archery seasons, more traditional MLer' seasons and shorter Archery seasons.  

• Like 1

I agree with your post except maybe the shorter seasons part but may have to shorten it to get it right. Nothing wrong with giving people more choices. Oregon is just one example but they have a few trad only hunts. To be absolutely clear I am not saying to do away with anything. Just give the trad guys one unit out of the dozens each season and rotate it around the regions maybe. Just brainstorming.

• Like 1

Im not advocating for shorter seasons either, but I am pretty confident that we will be a draw only state in the next 5-10 years.  OTC is going to be gone unless something big changes.  I am ok with losing a few days on OTC to gain a few extra hunt options (trad, crossbow, primitive Mler).  Something has to give, and it's going to be OTC opportunity more than likely.  

• Like 2

It looks like opportunity is going to be less under the quota system. Can’t wait to see what the late desert hunts are going to look like. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, stanley said:

This discussion on who qualifies for 'crossbow status' or not reminds me of 10 years ago when medical weed became legal.   A couple of guys I know suddenly were diagnosed with ailments that qualified them for a 'medical card'.  LOL

Medical weed and crossbow permits are great when not abused. 

I believe crossbow permits should be available, just not abused.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, creed said:

It looks like opportunity is going to be less under the quota system. Can’t wait to see what the late desert hunts are going to look like. 

There is one desert unit I know of close to me that does not have any farmland in it's borders and if I do archery hunt, that is where I will be going. It might get some pressure but the hunting is a lot tougher than the rest of the units with farmland.