• 15x only
    • Barska 7x35
    • I'm not a pu$$y I pack kowa highlanders everywhere
  2. 2. Spotter

• No spotting scope
    • smaller spotter 60mm or less
    • Medium spotter 65-77mm
    • Thicc Boi spotter 80mm +

Been a few years since i've had a coues tag, picked up a Thanksgiving tag ..... What optics are y'all carryin for a backpack coues rifle hunt?  I have meopta 10x, Swaro 12x,  just picked up some used Swaro 15x, Twin Kowa 30x66 and a Kowa 884 spotter.  Obviously not going to carry everything unless I can get @CatfishKev to tag along and be my pack b!tch.  Will also be packing all my own water so gotta try and keep things light.  I've always sworn by my EL 12x50s but am considering carrying only the 15s for this hunt.  I hate carrying 2 pairs of binos.  I used to pack 10x and 15x and only time I used the 10x was for a rear rifle rest.  Will be glassing the standard distances of 400 -1800 yds.

I'm leaning toward carrying the swaro 15x on my chest and the big Kowa spotter in the pack.  Curious if anyone was a 12x guy and moved back to 15x for coues and how they liked it.

Depends.

If the terrain is extremely well suited to glassing long distances, my SLC 15s and STX 95 get the nod every time.

If the terrain is mixed and not necessarily well suited to long distance glassing, my SLC 10s and STX 65 get the nod.

If the terrain does not lend itself well to long distance glassing, my SLC 10s and Kowa 554 get the nod.

• Like 1

I think it depends on what you want to kill.  If you want to shoot a mature buck but are not picky about score I would just pack 12s.  At most reasonable distances you can tell if it's a solid buck or not.   If you are "trophy hunting and want to make sure you are shooting a 100" or better buck you will need a spotter.  I ditched my 15s for 12s and I have never looked back. 

I would take 12s and a light weight spotter or just take 12s.  

That is my recommendation 

• Like 1

12s and a spotter for me, for everything.

I will be taking my sons 8s with me on my archery elk hunt though. Incase the 12s are too much. 

• Like 1

For me, it would depend on if you are hauling water or have a source.....

If a true backpack hunt and not packing water I bring the big glass, 15's, stable tripod and bigger spotter. Extra weight of bigger glass will save you mikes. If weight really is a issue  or water packing, its 12x on my neck and doubles on tripod, my small ultralight tripod, and the small Kowa 554 spotter....

With what you have and want to do, I would say 12x and medium spotter.

I like a 10x in a chest harness for glassing to a mile for the wider FOV.  Anything over a mile, I swap to 15x.  A 12x will be a compromise between the two.  Losing a little FOV for close work, and losing 3x on the top end.  But I don't like glassing under a mile with my 15s due to the narrow FOV.  Can't count how many times I have picked up an ear flick or tail in the edges of my 10x.  

I like a spotter for checking on an animal I have already found.  I hate glassing with a single eyepiece spotter....which is why I now have a 95mm BTX.  But I sure wouldn't be wanting to pack that around much.  So I have been considering a smaller STX/65mm package for the pack.

Rangefinding 10’s on the chest and btx 65 with 1.7x magnifier in the pack. This is the first year running this combo but I’m excited to give it a go! I’ve always used 12’s and a medium spotter in the past. Can’t go wrong with that combo either. 

1 hour ago, Bailer41 said:

Pack extra water in on your scouting trips 

Can absolutely do that if hunting a single deer or hunting from basecamp for an extended period. My point was that there are other things to carry/not carry that would influence my optics decision as well as my hunt strategy...

2 hours ago, desertmafia21 said:

Rangefinding 10’s on the chest and btx 65 with 1.7x magnifier in the pack. This is the first year running this combo but I’m excited to give it a go! I’ve always used 12’s and a medium spotter in the past. Can’t go wrong with that combo either. 

What pack do you have with that? I went 8 miles this weekend carrying 10s and the 65mm BTX with water, but getting it strapped in and balanced was a pain. I have the small K3 Exo and the carrying case on the BTX.

1 hour ago, NewlyMinted said:

What pack do you have with that? I went 8 miles this weekend carrying 10s and the 65mm BTX with water, but getting it strapped in and balanced was a pain. I have the small K3 Exo and the carrying case on the BTX.

I just run the Swarovski stay on case on mine.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, desertmafia21 said:

I just run the Swarovski stay on case on mine.

Yeah, I figured I'd lose that, it's bulky, but was trying to protect the housing. I only have the stay-on for the eye piece. With it off I bet it fits better on the side. I was strapping it on the rear. Thanks man!