CVA Optima V2 LR TH Nitride vs TC Pro Hunter FX vs Knight Mountaineer SS (straight stock, stainless steel). Looking at these rifles to maybe add one to the herd. Other than not being made in USA the CVA Optima seems like a lot of gun for the money! TC has a mix of stuff I like, but no nitride, shortest barrel. Knight (on sale $200 off) seems almost like a no brainer just not sure I want an 8.5# gun without a scope yet. Anybody want to share their opinion?

I had a optima it was a older model and shot great.I've got a wolf and took my first muzzy bull with it.Still have that one .I opted for a paramount pro in 45 cal.My dad has the tc and likes it .I haven't had the knight out yet so I don't have a opinion on that one yet .They are making the optima in a 45 cal i do believe .It will give you a flatter shooting muzzy.The paramount pro is a heavy tank but hits hard as heck and will shoot farther than a 50 cal.

• Like 1

I've got an Optima V2 that I've used on a few deer/javelina. Pretty decent out to 200 yards or so. Looking to upgrade to a Paramount or build a smokeless for next year though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dsotm said:

I've got an Optima V2 that I've used on a few deer/javelina. Pretty decent out to 200 yards or so. Looking to upgrade to a Paramount or build a smokeless for next year though.

You must hunt elsewhere. I thought only black or synthetic black powder was legal?

3 hours ago, dsotm said:

No smokeless ML allowed in AZ during a ML or HAM hunt.  You can use it elsewhere, or on a general AZ hunt.  But they do GREAT with BH209 too, so you can go that route.  Just did a quick tutorial for a buddy.  He shoots smokeless too with H322.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, lancetkenyon said:

No smokeless ML allowed in AZ during a ML or HAM hunt.  You can use it elsewhere, or on a general AZ hunt.  But they do GREAT with BH209 too, so you can go that route.  Just did a quick tutorial for a buddy.  He shoots smokeless too with H322.

Yeah I'm aware of that. I've got a 700 action laying around and figure I can do an arrowhead remage conversion for around what I'd spend on a Paramount anyhow and can always just use Blackhorn in it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Heat said:

CVA Optima V2 LR TH Nitride vs TC Pro Hunter FX vs Knight Mountaineer SS (straight stock, stainless steel). Looking at these rifles to maybe add one to the herd. Other than not being made in USA the CVA Optima seems like a lot of gun for the money! TC has a mix of stuff I like, but no nitride, shortest barrel. Knight (on sale $200 off) seems almost like a no brainer just not sure I want an 8.5# gun without a scope yet. Anybody want to share their opinion?

You don’t need the “nitride” coating if the gun isn’t made out of chinesium like the CVA’s are.  Go with the TC of that list.  I’ve been around 8-10 CVA’s and 3-4 of them wouldn’t fire.   Not great odds!  

• Like 1

I didn't realize T/C is basically out of business. Thats not exactly comforting either. Knight is looking better and better!

• Like 1

I read a review of the Knight that highlighted a few things about that gun that I was concerned with. First is stock fit and ergonomics. I would prefer the stock from the UL and the barrel from the Mountaineer. Also not real impressed with the utility of a bolt action for a primer. Seems overkill and makes the rifle unneccesarily longer and heavier. Seems like the break open makes more sense when loading and cleaning. Not sold yet. Need to handle one before I buy. I have handled the CVA. Felt VERY nice!

I’ve owned the CVA Optima V2 LR TH Nitride .50cal for 2yrs. Bought it new. It always go BANG & accurate for a secondary load without having to clean between every trigger pull. Break barrel works well. FUN rifle, even for the non technical hunters I’ve shared it with during HAM…  I’m still waiting to get that elk muzzy tag. My ONLY muzzy criticism would be how much bullet drop I’ve experienced 50-200yrd. That being said, a .45cal might have been a better rifle choice— but this has nothing to do with gun manufacturer. I use Powerbelt and IMR White Hots (convenient).

3804898B-B565-4CBD-9664-2CD05248C3CD.jpeg

Anyone hear that NM approved banning scopes on muzzleloaders?  Great step in the right direction, hopefully Arizona does as well.  

6 hours ago, HuntHarder said:

Anyone hear that NM approved banning scopes on muzzleloaders?  Great step in the right direction, hopefully Arizona does as well.  

It sucks to see fellow  hunters complaining about unfair advantage  and wishing  to take away things from  fellow  hunters.At that rate we all will  be hunting  with our bare hands because  everyone  can complain  about something  not being  fair about  how someone  else hunts according  to the rules.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Crazymonkey said:

It sucks to see fellow  hunters complaining about unfair advantage  and wishing  to take away things from  fellow  hunters.At that rate we all will  be hunting  with our bare hands because  everyone  can complain  about something  not being  fair about  how someone  else hunts according  to the rules.

You can still use them in the general hunt.  Looks like they are just trying to keep muzzleloader seasons as primitive as they can, with today's tech.