Sign in to follow this  
Adicted

Down south Coues hunt my boys again

Well it was an interesting year and stressful year.  Rewind 3 weeks before hunt.  People that know me know that I shoot long distance quite a bit even have my own course I shoot by my house.  I started shooting suppressed last year and to be honest not sure if it contributed to my issues last year but we missed alot of animals, too close that i'm use to. For elk and deer.  Before the suppressor we were 18 for 18 on deer on my 300 win mag from 400-800 yds. With suppressor we missed quite a few. It really messed my head up.  Well i headed to the range just to check and make sure i have a perfect zero and first shot i blew my suppressor off my rifle 50 yards down the range.  I was extremely happy my son and I were not harmed.  See the suppressor in the pic.

Suppressor.png.5565b3c6a8dc2f4bfeea252ca370e20d.png

Well here we are short time before hunt and now i have to re-zero, re-chrono, Check long range on the mtn again.  What a mess. Well I was able to get this close as possible for my hunt and hoped for the best. 

Day 1 on the hunt and its flat out cold. Its my 2 kids and by neighbor who is a Pilot at Luke. Good guy.  We found some deer but no bucks today.

Day 2 and my oldest boy finds a buck at 840 yds and its a go.  We set up and 1 shot he hammers the buck and its down.  My 2 boys head over to get the deer and my neighbor and I stay and keep glassing.  Well I glass over to the ridge over and I see a giant Mtn lion, and its going right where the deer is junior just shot.  I jump on my 300 and my neighbor ranges 500.  I have severe buck fever and am shaking.  I take a shot and just below.  He continues to walk slow and is under a tree at 540.  I take my time and BOOM he takes hit (i believe) and hunches and jumps and straight down the hill where my sons deer is.  Long story short, never find the lion.

776472162_JuniorDeerPic.png.40a58a8ea78e13797537e7e1d6dd801a.png

Day 3.  No bucks in the moring. Later in the evening Junior and neighbor go out on there own and make a nice 330 yd shot. Long night for them

330899849_ShawnPic.png.442f61610a7dfa18db5b9d361cdd0748.png

Now day 4 with 1 more tag to fill.  My youngest son.  During the day we come across this bear two times.

Click on the Bear Video Link 

1449929626_BearPic.png.220d9d13687f8e4ad05345c471829971.png

Last light I glass the buck up at 740 yds. My son jumps on the 300 and our scope is 5-25 power.  At 25 power you couldnt see at all so we had to move down to 15.  I said Dylan can you make a good shot that a long shot at 15 power.  He said Dad I'm good and steady.  I said OK let her rip.  1 shot and the deer rolled down the mtn.  Was a great trip with my boys again. Late night that day and we had Green chile and Fresh deer backstrap when back. 

1972774097_DylanDeer.thumb.png.0ac324b12a8c686ab7ed6bc2550dea50.png

fDinner.jpg.09c1a973b2db2a597230b8ae69f2befc.jpg1158933587_FamilyDylanDeerPic.png.9a938ed4d05b1c47e94cef080564fafb.png

• Like 21

What a crazy start to the hunt with blowing your suppressor clean off, yikes!

Happy it all worked out with the success you all had.

Congratulations and I love the pic of the loaded grill. Nice.

1 hour ago, bigorange said:

Good stuff…huge congrats to all of you. Any idea how/why that suppressor blew off? That’s scary. 

Maybe it just loosen up? A few years when there was an outdoor show at Ben Avery in the spring a vendor had some Class lll rifles and while my son was shooting an AR the same thing happened and the can went about 30' down range.

2 hours ago, bigorange said:

Good stuff…huge congrats to all of you. Any idea how/why that suppressor blew off? That’s scary. 

Not 100% sure.  I screwed it on and it felt weird.  So I backed it off and put it back on and felt normal and locked it.  Did the same thing I have done 500 times before.  Then boom!!!.   But obviously it wasnt on right and the bullet came out at an angle.  Scary chit.

Just to let you guys know.  My suppressor is a Silencerco and I sent it to them and it was repaired and back in my house in 7 days with no questions asked.  Thats amazing to me.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Adicted said:

Just to let you guys know.  My suppressor is a Silencerco and I sent it to them and it was repaired and back in my house in 7 days with no questions asked.  Thats amazing to me.

What caused it to launch off?  

With last years missed shots and this years kills without it me thinks you should leave it off.

Congrats on a great hunt. Sorry about the lion though!

29 minutes ago, Mocha1545 said:

With last years missed shots and this years kills without it me thinks you should leave it off.

Congrats on a great hunt. Sorry about the lion though!

You are correct

• Like 1

Looks like a great time congrats