You can't beat the Kelbly Atlas Tactical action. For $1100 it's a great buy and the after purchase service is awesome. I'm putting together a 280AI for a friend with the Kelbly Atlas action and I also bought one last year for my 300 Norma build with a .750" diameter bolt. Jim Kelbly and brother Ian honored all my specifics. They are the best. That Remington will work fine but don't put all that extra money into blueprinting, it doesn't help that much and in the end it's still just a Remington action. I have a 280 AI that I built on a 700 action and I replaced the bolt with a one piece bolt from Pacific Tool and Gauge and it shoots as good as my Stiller action. Good luck with the Proof barrel. 

9 hours ago, STOMP442 said:

By the time you pay your smith to do all of the things you want done on that action you could have bought a custom action. Gone are the days when you could pick up a Rem 700 action for 300 bucks and it made a little sense to start there. I don't know what you paid for yours but these days a bare bones Rem action is over $500 from most places. Defiance Tenacity or other custom actions can be had for right around $950 - $1100 and have all of the features you are after. The major downside to building on a Remington for me is that when its all said and done you still have a Remington and it is only worth Remington value, where as a custom action will always hold a higher value if you were to decide to sell. 

This pretty muched covers it all ... 

It makes for a easy decision when you've got offers on your old action. I purchased it from a fellow member and paid what he did new and the receipt is in the box. I'll get it and a price when I get home later this afternoon. It's going to be tough to explain to the wife I'm going to sell the action and by the way I need to by another that cost more.

6 hours ago, Crazymonkey said:

It makes for a easy decision when you've got offers on your old action. I purchased it from a fellow member and paid what he did new and the receipt is in the box. I'll get it and a price when I get home later this afternoon. It's going to be tough to explain to the wife I'm going to sell the action and by the way I need to by another that cost more.

I guess it's tough if she makes the money for the household.  Good luck.

52 minutes ago, HuntHarder said:

I guess it's tough if she makes the money for the household.  Good luck.

I make all the money .But the last one cost me big time in she wanted a wedding  ring upgrade  .I could have built  3 new guns with outstanding  glass for less. 1 custom  rifle with a nightforce  atacr cost me north of 40k .I didn't  spend close to 10 on the gun .

I forgot the kicker on the ring deal .It sits in my safe along with her old ring because her friends got her all worked up about someone stealing it.So now she doesn't even wear it.Atleast I get use out the gun.

• Like 1

Sold the rem action .I sent a inquiry  to kelby on Saturday  and got a same day response  .Great service  I didn't  expect  to hear back till Monday. They are currently  6 months out on actions .I'm placing  my order for a nanook action  tomorrow  after the  wife  puts the stack of cash I handed  her to cover the action  in the bank.Thanks to everyone  who helped  confirm  my decision  to change  actions .

The long awaiting stock from  manners  is finally  ready  to ship. Once it's shipped  all the parts will  be going  to Axis Works  for all the gunsmith  work . Hopefully  my suppressor  for this is not to far away  from  getting  approved  . I'm at 6 months  already. 

• Like 2

If your hanging out with lance and having Eric build your rifles you might as well put your order in for you next rifle parts now. Much easier to explain to the wife!

I have few Axisworks rifles and you made the right choice with the custom action and gunsmith for the build, cant wait to see.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 429mike said:

If your hanging out with lance and having Eric build your rifles you might as well put your order in for you next rifle parts now. Much easier to explain to the wife!

I have few Axisworks rifles and you made the right choice with the custom action and gunsmith for the build, cant wait to see.

Only  met Lance  the one time. Super  cool guy to let me check  out his guns . I didn't  want  to drop  $ on a stock I couldn't  pickup  and hold. Some of the best quality  guns and the glass is off the charts  good . I'll  probably  have more questions  for him  as the build  is almost  ready to drop off . I'd like to add a few colors to my new stock that weren't  offered for one.  I don't  want  to screw up a stock  that cost so much and took  6 months  to get.

• Like 1

The stock  showed  up today . Early  Christmas  for me ! Just a test  fit of the parts but it looks  good. I'd like  to add some  blue to the stock to break it up but that's it.

20231223_123323.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Looks good to me. Give us a description of all the components, caliber and weight. Can't wait to see how it shoots :)

9 minutes ago, Ernesto C said:

Looks good to me. Give us a description of all the components, caliber and weight. Can't wait to see how it shoots :)

Kelby  nanook  action 

Manners  lrh stock 

Trigger  tech  diamond 

Proof 26 inch sendero light  1:8.4 twist

Hawkins  bdl bottom  metal

Silencerco  asr break  

It will be a 280ai 

I'm planning  on running  suppressed. 

Dropped  it off yesterday  at Axis works  Eric  figured  7 to 7.5 pounds  bare and 9 to 9.5 scoped . It should  be done  in a few weeks  . I'll need to track down  brass and dies .

The kicker is the scope  .I love my atacr but it's heavy  and Eric  is suggesting  a nx8 . Cost is not a big issue  I'd like great glass I do shoot moa scopes.

• Love 1