With parts coming in for my new build a 280ai I'm contemplating a change in actions .I currently have a new in the box rem 700 but wonder what could be.If I stick with the 700 action it will need extensive Smith work to get it where I need it (blue printing,side bolt release ,extractors, and bolt handle work) Do I just pony up and get a Defiance or kelby action and sell the rem . No matter what I'll be waiting for a stock from manners 

Parts I already have rem 700 action ,bdl bottom metal,trigger tech diamond trigger ,and the proof barrel will be here friday.The stock is months out. 

This is probably  the last custom gun the wife will let me build .

What would  you do?

With you bringing this topic up, if you don't Pony up for the higher end action you are always going to think back or wish back that you did. Buy once cry once. Plus the resale on a higher end action is typically significantly higher than a factory Remington 700. I went with a Defiance for my 28 Nosler and love it.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

With you bringing this topic up, if you don't Pony up for the higher end action you are always going to think back or wish back that you did. Buy once cry once. Plus the resale on a higher end action is typically significantly higher than a factory Remington 700. I went with a Defiance for my 28 Nosler and love it.

I don’t know jack about custom builds or actions in general but this logic makes the most sense to me. 

1 hour ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

I agree. I went with a Defiance action for my 28 Nosler build as well.

29 minutes ago, bigorange said:

I don’t know jack about custom builds or actions in general but this logic makes the most sense to me. 

Buy once cry once. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

Buy once cry once. 

I told my wife that same thing when I bought my Schmidt and Bender, again when I bought a Kahles and once again when Lance talked me into Tangent. I"m not getting to use that line anymore.   

I would get a custom action, some of my Rem actions shoot just as good or better than my custom, but the resale and worth of a full custom over a partial custom seems to be significant. But I'm a amateur in this area for sure. 

the Defiance is machined to proper tolerances, has an integral lug, better extractor and the side bolt release, why spend the money to make a REM 700 into what you can buy for not much more $$?

After checking out some of Lance's rifles 

I'm  probably  sold on a kelby action  and he's  got me seriously  looking  at a tangent scope.Clearest scope I've ever looked  thru ! It put my atacr to shame .Those scopes are amazingly  clear.

I would say go with a 60° action since it may be your last. Terminus make a good one that fits the Remington footprint.  I really like not opening a bolt way up there and the smaller throw has other advantages too.  

My vote is spend the few extra dollars for the custom action and get it nitrate coated and never look back. You wont regret it.

By the time you pay your smith to do all of the things you want done on that action you could have bought a custom action. Gone are the days when you could pick up a Rem 700 action for 300 bucks and it made a little sense to start there. I don't know what you paid for yours but these days a bare bones Rem action is over $500 from most places. Defiance Tenacity or other custom actions can be had for right around $950 - $1100 and have all of the features you are after. The major downside to building on a Remington for me is that when its all said and done you still have a Remington and it is only worth Remington value, where as a custom action will always hold a higher value if you were to decide to sell. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Crazymonkey said:

With parts coming in for my new build a 280ai I'm contemplating a change in actions .I currently have a new in the box rem 700 but wonder what could be.If I stick with the 700 action it will need extensive Smith work to get it where I need it (blue printing,side bolt release ,extractors, and bolt handle work) Do I just pony up and get a Defiance or kelby action and sell the rem . No matter what I'll be waiting for a stock from manners 

Parts I already have rem 700 action ,bdl bottom metal,trigger tech diamond trigger ,and the proof barrel will be here friday.The stock is months out. 

This is probably  the last custom gun the wife will let me build .

What would  you do?

If you choose to go the other route I’d be interested in your action if you decide to sell it 

If it helps your decision to buy a defiance, Stillar, or BAT action I’ll buy the REM Action if the price is right. Always go custom over factory action. You’ll spend as much to get it trued all said and done and still won’t be the quality of a custom. Shoot me a PM about the Rem Action about selling it if you want to. Looking to build a muzzleloader