PRDATR

Rim Lake Conditions

39 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

Has anyone been up there lately? Is Willow Springs still froze over?

I will tag in on this one. I was about to inquire if the FS roads were open yet, 300, and all of the secondary roads in 4a/4b

Just drove down to Payson yesterday. Still 70-100% snow coverage above the rim in most places. Near Clint's well was starting to thaw out. 

Closer to Payson was melted off, but lots of forest roads still closed, and some had downed trees in trail. FS will be getting a slow start this year to opening, everything still muddy and washed out.

Don't know if the gates are what decide if it's closed but gates are open on 300 at woods canyon and people are going in and out. Can't imagine woods or willow would have any ice. Been pretty warm last week or so and gonna be smoking hot for the next couple days.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Coues247 said:

Don't know if the gates are what decide if it's closed but gates are open on 300 at woods canyon and people are going in and out. Can't imagine woods or willow would have any ice. Been pretty warm last week or so and gonna be smoking hot for the next couple days.

Are you sure the gates are open?   Spoke with FS this week and they were thinking it would be May before they are open 

• Like 1

I went to willow to fish yesterday.  Gate was still closed.  We hiked in from 260, lake was 98% frozen over.  We fished a small melted area and caught nothing.  

• Like 4

Saw the gate open off 300 towards woods wide open just two days ago. Also saw it wide open by chevelon work station. So someone busted them open or someone forgot to lock them. Also depends which district you talked to. Coconino is way more crazy about keeping their gates closed longer. Apache sitgreaves is much more relaxed about opening things back up.

17 hours ago, Coues247 said:

Saw the gate open off 300 towards woods wide open just two days ago. Also saw it wide open by chevelon work station. So someone busted them open or someone forgot to lock them. Also depends which district you talked to. Coconino is way more crazy about keeping their gates closed longer. Apache sitgreaves is much more relaxed about opening things back up.

I drive by there twice a day.  In the mornings often I see commercial work trucks going in and out of there, so sometimes I see it open and other times I see it closed.  I’m not sure what they are doing in there.

2 minutes ago, CouesFanatic said:

Called Coconino and Apache Sigreaves today. Both said roads will open in early May. Hard to believe with it being 75 up there today.

there's still 18-24 inches of snow on the ground in many places. It will melt off quick if we keep this warm weather. Hopefully they'll open early

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, CouesFanatic said:

Called Coconino and Apache Sigreaves today. Both said roads will open in early May. Hard to believe with it being 75 up there today.

I got pulled over yesterday on Bee Line Hwy right past Gilbert exit! Cop rolled up behind me, started to pass then pulled back. Gave me a repair order for my cracked windshield.

I told him I was waiting for winter to be over because of all the crap on the highway. He held both hands open, looked up at the sky and said, "It feels like winter is over!!!! 

77 here in Snowflake today, it will melt off fast and I guess he was right.............

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Non-Typical Solutions said:

I got pulled over yesterday on Bee Line Hwy right past Gilbert exit! Cop rolled up behind me, started to pass then pulled back. Gave me a repair order for my cracked windshield.

I told him I was waiting for winter to be over because of all the crap on the highway. He held both hands open, looked up at the sky and said, "It feels like winter is over!!!! 

77 here in Snowflake today, it will melt off fast and I guess he was right.............

dang, guess its time to replace my windshield 😂

8 minutes ago, Savageman2506 said:

dang, guess its time to replace my windshield 😂

It was an interesting day.......I mean I have been pulled over for lots of things but never my windshield........then further up the hill a truck pulling a camp trailer started moving over to the fast lane when the nose of my truck was about even with his bumper, my wife coulda touched the trailer out her window......luckily I have enough shoulder, the dude literally pulled into the median as I hit my brakes and started a u-turn............I don't think he ever saw me and I'm lucky to be alive!!!

Gotta love the rim road traffic!!!

• Like 1
  • Wow! 2

Normal opening is April 15th, lots of snow drifts, I heard that Woods is 95% frozen still but thin ice in many areas. Has been closely watched since the people fell thru early this season.

Now any news on Hawley or Biggy smalls lake conditions?

• Like 1