Sign in to follow this  
Hoss50

In Reach?

Another vote for Zoleo. Used it in Alaska a few years back and in Mexico this year. Works great. Seems to be faster at messaging than the Garmin’s as well. Also a big problem I have found with the Garmin’s is you cannot txt the devise without the Garmin user txting you first. 

19 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

What wilderness were you hunting in OP? 

I am just hunting normal units, but alot of places have no cell signal. And this year is the first time I have been taking my kids (8 &11) out without another adult around, so incase of emergency I wanted something to have with me. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, bigorange said:

I have InReach Mini for exactly the same reason…and my kids are old enough they can haul me out now. 😁

That is the other thing, nobody is hauling me out unassisted. I am 6'4" 305lbs. I have to haul myself out, but right now neither of my boys is old enough to drive me out even if I can drag my big arse to the truck. That is where the inreach comes in. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Garryett said:

Also a big problem I have found with the Garmin’s is you cannot txt the devise without the Garmin user txting you first. 

Can anyone verify this? I have not heard this before.

4 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

It is true 

Interesting.  That seems like a pretty big oops on garmins part.  

Anyone with your mapshare I believe can also ping your location as long as the garmin is on. 

Sounds like CWT needs partnership with Elon and Garmin and get us some sample units for testing.

All the reading seems that Garmin Mini2 is the new kid on block and doing well. I only text my girlfriend because I hate talking to her on the phone, everyone else I call on the phone.  I may play with a sat phone this year for fun.  See how I can turn a sat phone rental into a business expense.

I still run an older model inreach. It sometimes has longer delays on sending and receiving, not fast. But for checkins and sos it does the job just fine.

Mapshare users can send messages first.  I also have the Garmin Explorer + & have had it for several years.  I've not had any delays in connecting to satelites etc. but this also depends on clear unobstructed  access to skies.  I like the gps feature because it confirms location etc.

The only drawback is size/weight, but realistically that shouldn't be a concern for hunters who are likely carrying a bunch of stuff anyway (I'm hardly an "Ultralight" backpacker!).  I like the overall operation though, zero complaints & zero concern for communicating whenever or wherever I need to!  I send a lot of preprogrammed (free) messages too.

I hunt with others who also have an inreach & its easy to send back/forth messages where there's no cell coverage.  These things are great, but get something, whatever you decide.

Nothing against the mini2, but its only $50 more for the added mapping feature.  Personally, I wouldn't trade my Explorer+ for a new mini2 if you also gave me $100.

Good luck on your choice.