So, while our brains are simmering about what deer hunts to put in for...heres a story.

I never could get anything to work out in the August hunt.  I glassed up some shooters, but accidentally bumped them when I was driving out.  I didn't realize they were bedded so close to the trail.  I never saw them again.  I'm not one to pass on a legal animal, but for some odd reason I couldn't bring myself to let the arrow go on several fork horns.  I also missed a nice 3 point...I ranged him at 60, he took a couple steps and I shot for 60.  The arrow went right under him, but by the time I shot he was probably 70 or better.  

I was surprised to see there were about 10 mule deer left on the quota for December.  I saw a few bucks from the road. Only one was decent.  I slipped and fell on some ice on a steep side hill just as I was closing the gap, and he took his does and left the county.  So, after checking the quota again, I saw there were now only 3 bucks left.  I knew I had to hit it hard.  

With the end of the season approaching, we drove around to some glassing points early one morning.  We turned up a small 4 point chasing some does near the road, but they would have none of it.  My plan was to glass from the road, until we got to my hunting spot, and then still hunt and glass between two points I had marked on the map.  My son had killed a buck there 2 years ago.  

Well, when we got to the place where I would still hunt, we jumped a really heavy bodied 4x4 with his does.  Miraculously, he ran towards us, as he was cliffed out, and we were blocking his escape route.  His does blew by, but he was unsure whether to risk the cliff, or follow his does.  While he was in the valley of decision, I ranged him at 62 yards.  With his does quickly disappearing, he reluctantly followed.  But now he was moving.  I drew, but now was unsure of his range, and didn't want a repeat of August.  So I yelled at my son to range him so I could get real time data.  My son fumbled with his range finder for a couple of hours.... at least... ( he is a teenager..).  

FINALLY....my son got it together and ranged the buck.  By now he was fading fast.  If he got to the next tree, he would drop into a canyon never to be seen again.  I was leading him with my pins, but now I would risk hitting the tree and losing him forever.  My son yelled out "69".   We both yelled  "meh".  The buck looked our way, and I thought he might stop.  I put my 70 yard pin on him, and punched it, knowing full well if he didn't stop, I would hit him too far back.  

Did I do the right thing?

I do not know how often you practice and your limits to shots you are comfortable taking. That said, I personally would not take that shot based on my skill level and what I feel comfortable doing. Everyone has a different comfort level and willingness to take a shot like that. 

• Like 4

I do the wrong thing often.  Its really hard not to let an arrow fly sometimes even though I know I probably shouldn't.

• Like 2

Only you can answer that question. And the answer will change depending on the day. 

• Like 2

70 is outta my range . 50 max on elk broad side . 40 on deer . The stink pigs is another  story.  But I try to keep  within  my skill level. We do practice  out to 60 plus and do hit targets  but I'm not comfortable  at that shot on a animal.  If your good to make that shot send it.

• Like 3

In the heat of the moment, it's hard to not shoot when you put in so much effort just to get that opportunity.  I tell myself I won't shoot at a moving animal (especially with a bow), because I have tracked a wounded and not fatally shot animal before, and that sucks big time.  That's just me.  I'm not preaching to anybody, I just wouldn't want anyone else to have to go through that torture (for you or the animal).  Now, having put in my two cents worth, let's hear the rest of the story. ☺️

• Like 1

i met a guys in january and when i met him he asked if i saw a dead deer then he starts telling me about the shot, it was a great shot at 75 yards after a while that we are talking he tells me he saw the deer take off limping and maybe he hit him back, you know those things aren't good, why take a shot you don't know if you are going to make, i'm sure game and fish accounts on that for their quotas.

• Like 1

Ok, I'm not here to say I did the most ethical thing of all time.  I wanted that buck, and I punched  the release.  I had taken a practice shot early that morning, and I felt good.  I told my self I'd shoot 80 yards if I needed to, I think I actually said that out loud.  

As it turned out,  the bucks stop was false...he looked when we grunted, and slowed, but did not come to a stop.  But that arrow was gone.  If I had led him any further, I risked hitting the tree.  I held front of shoulder and sent it.  

Well, I watched that arrow disappear right smack in his paunch.  I checked the arrow for confirmation.  Sure enough, it was coated with green slime.  So, we turned around and left.  We did not look for that buck until the following morning.  I was on pins and needles, everything in me wanted to go look for that buck, but we gave him nearly 24 hours.  

The next morning, I found him lying maybe 150 yards from where I shot him, tops.  Full disclosure, he was in Princess Bride mode, so I put one more in him.  

I thought a lot about not publishing this story, it's not super epic, and the shot was questionable.  But I'm glad it worked out.

He tastes awful.  So, he will be nothing but chili and taco meat for palatability.  He was a big, rutted up, gut shot muley.  Lol.  

• Like 5

IMG_0738.thumb.jpeg.7e2b06be817548c646876b4df9715c41.jpeg

Here is how I shoot from 80 yards when I'm on.  This is an old pic, but a good for instance.  

IMG_2357.thumb.jpeg.fef1f30d4e2cbc7ce2940ad3d2e6110c.jpegIMG_2359.thumb.jpeg.71d6d4a0b30ab5b60fea724da131d505.jpeg

• Like 3

I pulled him out of the freezer for this photo op.  

IMG_2358.thumb.jpeg.805e1c0367777ea24f8d8963e691b1e1.jpeg

I

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1