Hello all, I recently started reloading 308 rounds and I tried Varget first and had pretty good results. I am having trouble finding Varget and would like to try something  easier to find. I am shooting a Remington 700 20 in heavy barrel and prefer 165 to 168 grains for hunting rounds. Any suggestions? I was also curious about the Vihtavuori N150 or something like it, it seems easier to find.

Thanks for your replies!

Chad

Varget has always been a powder that worked good for me in the 308 used it for bullets 130-165grs with great results.

It has worked fine for me as well, it just seems to be a little hard to find now. Thanks!

I am going to try BLC2 and maybe some staball 6.5 in my buddies 308 with 150gr Barnes TTSX. His rifle is an 18" barrel and with the 165gr TTSX was kinda slow. Gonna drop to 150gr to pick up some speed. 

Varget is showing up sometimes if you can wait. 

IMR-4064 is old school .308. TAC is supposed to be pretty good in a .308, but I've never tried it. I have used a lot of WW-748, which is very accurate, but temp sensitive. IMR or H 4895 will also work. Never used N-150, but I have used N-135, which worked ok.

• Like 1

I like N140 in 308 but haven't tried with heavier bullets, Big game should be good with the 165s.

Kent

• Like 1

What size rounds are you using with the N550?

On 6/10/2023 at 3:39 AM, chadt45 said:

Thanks everyone! Lots of options.

With the .308 it's hard to find a medium speed powder that doesn't work. N150 is good. May need a drop tube to fit enough in the case. I have used most of the others with good results, but try to avoid ball and double based powders.

On 6/10/2023 at 11:00 AM, krp said:

I like N140 in 308 but haven't tried with heavier bullets, Big game should be good with the 165s.

Kent

I shot a lot of 175 SMK with N140 it worked great. Not breaking and speed records but was super accurate 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone! It seems like the 308 is pretty forgiving when it comes to powder. 

I recently switched to Benchmark with 165- 178 grain bullets. Great success.