crazyaboutcoues

2008 Archery Coues hunt

Well tomorrows opening day, Jamaro and I have done all the home work.

Wish us luck...I try to give the play by play like I have the last coouple of years.

Happy New Year ;)

To Be Continued

I'm expecting nothing less than a typical Booner from Tommy and a double dropper from Jason!

Don't let me down guys :rolleyes:

Day one was a very interesting morning, I was in the ground blind by 6:30am. Unfortunately the wind was wrong for my set up. I sat there for a while trying to figure out what to do. I decided to move to the other side of the draw to try to have my scent blow away from the scrape, it didn't work. Come to find out the wind was just swirling in all directions. I decided to go back to my ground blind and see what happens.

At 8:30 am I did a rattle and grunt sequence, about 1 minute later I heard foot steps and sure enough i had a 90" class buck headed to the scrape, moment of truth :blink: . The buck was coming in very cautious as if he knew there was something wrong, but he kept coming in. At 25 yards I started to draw as he went behind a Ponderosa, as luck would have it he heard or saw me. He just stood there like a statue and I'm at full draw with no shot at the vitals. I held as long as I could but he never moved, I let the bow down and he took off like a bat out of heck. :(

At 12:30 the wind picked up I decided to "still" hunt to see if I could sneak up on one. About a 1/2 mile later I spotted a decent buck making a scrape about 100 yards away. I slowly stalked to within 50 yards but I wanted to get a little closer because he was quartering away and at 50 yards it's to risky. Sure enough he heard me or winded me and took off. Oh well that's hunting.

Look at the buck that is using the scrape :blink:

post-35-1230850901_thumb.jpg

I think it's the same buck as the first picture on this thread just a different angle. I hope he shows up in the next few days.

I also found some preety big sheds

post-35-1230850923_thumb.jpg

post-35-1230850938_thumb.jpg

To be continued

Sounds like a good day with the exception of the wind. Good looking sheds.

Waiting for more....

--Bill

Keep after them Tommy.

Wish I was out hunting myself today.

Good Luck.

I'm pulling for ya Tommy!! If you're already having that much action then it's just a matter of time. What a whopper of a buck using that scrape!

I got to the scrape about the same time as yesterday. The woods were so quiet I could hear myself breathing. I was optimistic that something would come thru. Every picture I have is either late evening , night, or early morning, 75 percent were early morning. I sat there for three hours and nothing came thru. I decided to still hunt because it was freaking cold..... :huh:

I text J- (Jamaro) to see if he was on anything. I could practically hear his frustration thru the text message. Muledeer had infested his area and he hadn't seen a Coues in two days.

I did have a chance to let the air out of a small forked horn. I was walking across a saddle and I spotted two deer thru the trees about 75 yards away. They busted me and calmly walked away, I circled them over a ridge and as I stalked around a Juniper he was standing broadside at 15 yards. I drew back and he just stood there looking at me. I couldn't bring myself to shoot the little buck at least not this early in the season. ;)

I found this cool lion kill

post-35-1230941173_thumb.jpg

post-35-1230941195_thumb.jpg

Thanks for all the encouragement guy/gals I really appreciate it.

Good to see your still around Scott ;)

Hang in there guys, I'm sure all of your hard work will pay off! Awesome Lion Kill.

Phil

Dang guys, reading your story makes me wish I was out there real bad. Good luck Tommy and good job passing on the smaller buck ;) hopefully a little patience will pay off.

Jamaro - dang it man, just when you think you got it figured out, huh? Keep at it........check your email B)

Jeff

I'm right here for moral support Tommy, just over the mountains from you. It's good to get back into it after the home building. It was happening kind of slow until I spotted that monster a couple of days ago and that did it. I'm hooked again!!!

Freakin awesome, keep it comin! Good luck man!