Sign in to follow this  
Hoss50

What to do with Savage 110?

I have a rifle in my safe that is a conundrum to me. Savage 110 FP 300 win mag. It is a heavy pig that sucks to care and the balance is terrible because of the heavy steel barrel. It ahoots well, but right now can't be anything other than a bench gun. The stock is a crap plastic stock with bind mag. 

I can't get rid of it because technically it is my dad's, though I could argue it is abandoned property since he didn't take it to Missouri with him. 🤣

What do I do with this thing? It will cost a fair amount to turn it into something nice and more packable/huntable. I also am thinking if I redo this rifle I would do something smaller caliber, but it has a mag boltface and the mag will only allow 3.35" OAL. 

What would you do? I have 2 kids coming up the hunting ranks, so maybe something smaller for them? 7 PRC? 

Put a limb saver recoil pad on it and a trigger job. If the barrel is threaded, throw a muzzle break on it. It made my Winchester 300wm with the BOSS system very shoot-able.

I can surmise from the screen name that you are a big fella, so if the kids follow suite, they will have no troubles packing that beast around the countryside. 

Not sure what an FP is but if it's a bull barrel you could rebarrel it for $200 in parts. (Link provided)

Otherwise, I'd just buy something you want and tell Dad he is accruing storage fees. 😂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HorseHunter said:

Put a limb saver recoil pad on it and a trigger job. If the barrel is threaded, throw a muzzle break on it. It made my Winchester 300wm with the BOSS system very shoot-able.

I can surmise from the screen name that you are a big fella, so if the kids follow suite, they will have no troubles packing that beast around the countryside. 

Not sure what an FP is but if it's a bull barrel you could rebarrel it for $200 in parts. (Link provided)

Otherwise, I'd just buy something you want and tell Dad he is accruing storage fees. 😂

The FP is the full bull barrel. It has a big arse brake and is shoot able now, but all the weight is in the barrel and when you sling it, it tried to flip muzzle down all the time. Scoped it has to weigh 13lbs it feels like. It just sucks to carry, and with the short magazine reloading long bullets sucks. 

I thought about having a gunSmith shorten the barrel from 24" to 20" and flute the barrel, but I doubt it would be worth it or save enough weight to matter.

I just don't know if it is worth a full rebuild or just to shoot it as a range queen. 

Sell it and use the money to buy something you will shoot and enjoy. Its not like its a classic that will appreciate much over the next 20 years. Send it to your dad or send it down the road. 

• Like 4

Can you imagine it with a Harris Bi-Pod on that beast?

Tell the kids not to skip leg day! 

Maybe a a hunting pack with a built in scabbard like an Eberlestock J1 would help distribute the weight? 

Mine gets top heavy too especially with the Bi-Pod, so I understand what you are up against.

• Like 1

Barrel swap it to another  caliber  or simply  trade it for a more desirable  rifle. If I didn't  already  have two 300s I'd have worked  a deal for another  gun in a different  caliber.  I'm sure if you  tell your dad you worked  it into a gun for the grandkids  to hunt with  he might  be OK with  the end result. 

• Like 1

Savages are an easy fix. Depending on what you are willing to spend you could have a really nice semi custom rifle in just about any long action caliber you wanted. Make it a project with your kids let them pick the caliber they want and build it. Swap the bolt face if you need to for less than 30 bucks and buy a pre fit barrel from any number of online venders in whatever configuration you want, slap it together and go.  Gunshack.com is almost a one stop shop for savage parts and accessories. 

• Like 2

New McGowen Savage prefit barrel is $400.00 in just about any chambering/length/contour you want.

Switch it out yourself

Its easy. I have a wrench and vice you can borrow.

• Like 1

Sell it and get a tikka. If it comes down to it, your dad will thank you.  And so will your backpack shoulders.  

• Like 3

Savage 110 has a ton of build options but if it’s balance while hiking slung, get a kifaru gunbearer to scabbard 

• Like 1

My brain is going down rabbit holes of weird calibers that could be fun. 

7x57AI

7mm-08AI

6.5-06AI

6.5PRC SI

And then I saw that McGowan will build octagon barrels!!! Bolt gun with octagon barrel...? I have problems 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

Can you do an 08 on that action?

It is a long action so I would think so right?

59 minutes ago, Hoss50 said:

It is a long action so I would think so right?

Not sure but the 7-08 is a short action case. I would expand on your post on Savage Shooters,