Sign in to follow this  
JACK

Top off a good year

With nine days of hard hunting under our belts and two days left we had not found a buck I wanted to shoot...Our "honey holes" produced a number of does, a few little bucks, no rutting, three lions and no big bucks...to say the least we were frustrated and a little disappointed...There have been several discussions on here about "secret spots" and "sharing info" and all that stuff and on one of them someone said something about sharing all coming back to you well he was right! I taken helped and shared more info with people on their hunts this year way more than I ever have in the past...and it all came back to me! On Friday we meet "Whitey" (azcathunter) then again on Monday when he came to camp to show us the pig of a buck he smoked...I still think he is bigger than 105"...After he told us his story and we told him ours he said he gave us a "tip" where had been seeing several 90"-95" buck rutting pretty hard...So Tuesday morning found Aaron, Gary, and I glassing new country with a new sense of hope. As the sun started to light up the horizon I glassed up a buck that looked like a shooter with a doe about a mile away in an oak filled canyon but soon they were out of sight...we glassed around for about an hour and they showed back up, he looked like he had some extra points and the decission was made to go after him...Aaron was going to keep track of them while me and Gary made the stalk. We have a deal whoever finds them gets to shoot them...pretty sef explanitory...so we made a deal when we get over ther if he is bigeer than 110" I would shoot him and anything else Gary would shoot...off we went all the way down then all the way back up and up and up and finally we were to the rock out cropping where we thought we would be able to see the whole basin. We get all set up and find a doe right away...perfect they were still there...about a half hour goes by and we see two little bucks bedded below us but still no big guy...then all the sudden Gary say THERE HE IS!...WHERE? I couldn't see him...IN THAT OPENING RIGHT THERE! CLOSE! HE IS HUGE SHOOT HIM! Gary said...To my surprise he was 180 yards right below us and he was on a mission not running but seemed like he wanted to get out of there...I was on him...just looked to make sure it wasn't the two point and BOOM! down he goes tumbling down the mountain. It happened so fast land we just looked at each other like what the heck just happened...We were high fiving and laughing we knew he was good but how good? We didn't have time to really get a good look at him. We get over to him and find a beautiful 4x4...and to be perfectly honest I was a little bummed...not because he wasn't big enough for me but...I kinda broke the deal and felt bad because I should have let Gary to shoot him...everything just happened so quick and we both got caught up in the craziness and excitement of the monent! Guess if I ever lose that "buck fever"and don't get up "in the moment" I will quit hunting...We had a great hunt Aaron ended up taking an 80" buck and My buck ended up grossing 102.4 and was a great way to end a great year!

Again I just want to thank "Whitey" for the tip! Seems like there is very little commrodery among hunters these days and its good to know there are still guys out there that will hang out, share stories, information and just BS around the campfire with perfect strangers...There have been alot of great stories! Congrats to everyone who had a successful hunt and/or just got to be "out there" this year...good luck in 2009 Jack Luffy

2008Deerhunt014-1.jpg

2008Deerhunt011.jpg

It will be hard to top a lion,buck and a book antelope in the same year.Good job on all of your hunts.

Wow nice buck man! is a 10 pointer?? Yea hurry up and tell us the story. Congratulations and a superb buck!

Ernesto C

Congrats on a great buck!!!

Great job Jack, and nice buck!!!! I know you guys hunted super hard and deserved a good buck. It was great getting to know you guys a bit. Let's go kill some yotes sometime!

-Whitey-

Jack, I think you have a problem. I mean this is becoming a habit of yours, killing big critters. You should seek help and it just so happens I'm the man for the job. We will start by going down to your honey hole together and you will watch me kill one of those big critters and you will feel a release from this selfish habit you have. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just kiddin Jack, way to go on another awesome buck! Can't wait to hear the story!