ScottAdams

Allergic to Coues Deer????

I had the opportunity to go out yesterday and a help a friend of mine, Scott Heap (Heapster), who had the December hunt for 27/28. Between working and weather and a bad cold he was only able to hunt 2 days out of the entire hunt! He didn't tell me until his buck was down that he was allergic to Coues deer.

Without going into too many details, we spotted 2 Coues bucks across a canyon, moved in, and were able to bust the biggest buck as he strolled across a ridge about 400 yards out.

DSC02161crp.jpg

The buck scored 96" even with the broken g-2 on the right side.

DSC02166crp.jpg

Once we knew the buck was down we packed up to head over there. But before we left, Heapster took a quick look with his 10's and told me that the other buck was coming out. I pulled up my 10's, took a look and said "Oh No!!!!!". There in my field of view was a huge buck. I quickly dropped my pack, pulled out the 30's and gazed upon an absolutely gorgeous Coues buck complete with a cheater and spit G-2's.

This buck strolled out to check on his buddy and then circled the dead buck for 30 minutes while the Heapster and I drooled all over ourselves like teething babies. I think the Heapster had some tears mixed in with his. Between all the drooling and crying I was able to take a few photos through the binocs. Here's the best one.

DSC02148crp.jpg

Once we composed ourselves we headed over to take care of the buck we killed, experiencing a little "shooter's remorse" as it were. As we're boning out the deer the Heapster tells me that he's allergic to Coues deer. I tell him "You've got to be kidding me?". He tells me no, it's true and that he even takes allergy shots for it. Wouldn't you know it, as we start to hike out, his eyes start to water and swell up and he starts sneezing. Heck I thought for a while there that his throat was going to swell up and he was gonna go into anaphylactic shock and die with that Coues buck strapped to his back.

My hat's off to the Heapster for killing a very nice buck, and literally risking his life to do so. Way to go Heapster and the big one lives on.

Good job guys congratulations!

That's exactly what happended to my on a Mexico hunt, I harvested a good looking 94 inch buck and the following day we spotted a 110 buck! :o

Well you can go after him next season or this month with a bow. Again congrats and nice to see you around Scott, hope you and family are doing well.

Ernesto C

My dad was allergic to deer as well. Same thing, eyes would swell shut and get real sick. Sucked for me because I always had to do the gutting and skinning! :blink: Congrats on a sweet buck.

Very nice buck and holy smokes what a toad that you took the pictures of! Congrats to you guys and thanks for sharing.

Phil

Thanks for all the good comments guys.

Brent, yes they were rutting pretty hard. Even the muleys are still rutting.

What a gorgeous couple of bucks! And I, like your buddy, am EXTREMELY alergic to coues deer! I try my hardest not to touch the hair for at least 20+ minutes to let the Benedryl kick in. If I don't the dander that comes off the deer swells my eyes and throat nearly shut. Tears me up bad!!!!!!! Anybody that's hunted with me can testify to that. The thing I love most in the woods nearly just shuts me down completely. It sucks but I've learned to expect it and how to deal with it. A buck on my back?!?!?! OH heck NO!

Before this hunt I don't think I had ever heard of anyone being allergic to deer but I guess so. Josh, I can't believe you're that allergic to them, WOW!

Since I can't seem to get this buck off my mind, here's a few more pics of him. I named him Lucky Bucky by the way. I hope to go back in to look for him again in the next 2 weeks.

DSC02140crp.jpg

DSC02151crp.jpg

DSC02153crp.jpg

My son got on this nice buck on Saturday and he was still in full rut. He got within 80 yards of him but just wasn't able to get off a shot before the buck spooked.

DSCF0371.jpg

Yikes!! Those are some great pictures!

Congrats on the great buck! Love the mass and beam length. It sure looks bigger

than 96"!

I thought I had it bad when deer blood (any) get on my skin I break out in hives, itch

and sneeze.

So... i have archery tag......and a couple days left of my 7 off.....

Good luck to your son.

jeff