Tines

Good times....

Finally I have a chance to post my hunt. In a nutshell, it was everything I imagined it would be. I had the opportunity to chase around coues deer in December with my rifle. Something we all hope for but very few actually have the opportunity to do so. I hunted with friends and family and had a fantastic time. By the way, thanks to some of you on this site who offered your help during my hunt. Those of you know that I've got a pretty screwed up schedule right now and it was difficult to coordinate with others'. Thanks again and I hope to get out someday with you...

In all, I saw 55 bucks during this hunt. I'm usually not a "counter" but for the last few years while hunting with Lance, I've become a little accustomed to it. To me, anyway, it's just cool to actually see how productive a hunt is, even when things seem slow...

Up until the few days before Christmas, my days hunting consisted of getting off of work that morning and going out on my days off (in between shifts). I was soooo tired on some of those days but the tag in my pocket kept me awake during the day. Not to mention the bucks I'd see throughout the day as well....

Some of you remember my brothers buck we took a few days prior. This was his 2nd coues deer (and hunt) and if anything, I was so glad that he had the opportunity to see these deer during the rut. It made it worth it. He's hooked just like the rest of us. Here's his buck again..

post-500-1230926718_thumb.jpg

Now that Dave was finished, a buddy of mine who took a couple of days off from work to hunt with me and myself headed out for a few days. My brother, TJ and myself glassed up quite a few bucks that day but nothing that I wanted to put my tag on. That night a pretty nasty storm blew in. We woke up to high winds and pretty cold/soggy conditions. We headed out as if it were a perfect day for hunting....

When we got to our parking spot, the rain blew sideways and the wind rocked the truck back and forth. Finally the wind let up a little and although the rain continued to fall down, we high tailed it to our glassing point. Right away I find a herd of pigs. Now, I figured if pigs were out in this stormy weather, deer have GOT to be out.... Sure enough, we start finding the deer. Keep in mind that my pants have wicked all of the rain from the waste high grass. So from about my waste, down through my boots, I'm completely soaked! Not fun when you're sitting still glassing.... In less than 30 minutes of glassing we had 24 does and 3 bucks. Unfortunately the fog rolled in and wouldn't let up. After about 45 minutes of waiting it out, we were forced back to the truck to get warm and dry. Deciding that we needed to get dry clothes from camp, we'd stop at a few places on the way out and glass...

At our second spot, my buddy TJ finds a buck rutting a doe less than 200yds away. I couldn't beleive how close we were already to this buck. He says he looks nice and I get a quick glance at him through the binos and I see mass and a big G2. I knew I wouldn't have much time to pick this buck apart so I got my rifle out and set up. He looked good so just as he came to a stop from chasing, I let him have it! I look up and see he starts moving again. My buddy says hes hit but I shoot again. He rears back and falls over! We high five and head over to the buck. Sort of surreal how it all took place. Just when we thought the hunt was over for the morning, we find this buck.

Thanks again to all those who helped, offered their help, and kept my spirits high during this hunt. I wanted a great buck and found one with some cool features. And a huge thanks to the wife who managed to take care of 2 kids (a 2 and 4yrd old I might add) and get through finals week while rarely seeing me for a couple of weeks. You're a keeper!!! Wait, maybe that's how she did it- I wasn't around to throw a wrench in her organization! ha ha

post-500-1230929429_thumb.jpg

Very nice buck and good write up! Awesome job to hang in there when the weather turned nasty. Congrats on a beautiful buck.

Phil

Dude, one picture just doesnt cut it!!!

Nicely done and a neat lookin buck!

Funny. This was probably the worst hunt I've ad as far as taking time for more pictures. Honestly I think it was because it was non-stop action so often that I couldn't bring myself to picking up anything but the binos.

As far as the field photos of my buck- A lot of the pictures turned out bad because it was raining on us. We kept having to dry off the lens!!!

Great story and that Buck is a keeper too! Congratulations

Very nice any scores on the two bucks? or did I miss it?

Thanks for sharing.

Jeff