Sign in to follow this  
PRDATR

Looking for a budget friendly 6.5 Creedmoor.

I have a friend who wants to get into hunting. I chose this because ammo is readily available, recoil is light, accuracy is there and more than enough energy for deer.  I am thinking a Remington 700 just for ease of the access of the safety. I like the accuracy of Savage but they can be a bit clunky and quality control is near nill. A coworker bought a Mossberg a while back and I was impressed with the fit/finish.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

For the money and known accuracy the Ruger American predator would be my choice. 

Agreed. Didn’t need a brake but I ordered one from Witt machine and worked the trigger, filled the fore end with epoxy and that thing is a blast to shoot. Bought it for my wife but I’ve used it for a couple of my hunts and had no problem killing 2 bucks past 600. Never thought I’d buy a need more but I still haven’t started wearing the flat brimmed hats!

5 minutes ago, Sky Island junkie said:

Agreed. Didn’t need a brake but I ordered one from Witt machine and worked the trigger, filled the fore end with epoxy and that thing is a blast to shoot. Bought it for my wife but I’ve used it for a couple of my hunts and had no problem killing 2 bucks past 600. Never thought I’d buy a need more but I still haven’t started wearing the flat brimmed hats!

Bang for the buck it's a great rifle.  Got one for the youth hunts not shot it yet.  Bout to order a scope. Planning on a krg bravo chassis of funds allow before the hunt.

@ Prdatr The mossbergs seem to have a lot of value but from out of the box accuracy the reviews I've seen were less then stellar. I'd steer them to the predator from Ruger 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

For the money and known accuracy the Ruger American predator would be my choice. 

+10 can’t beat this one out of the box on a budget

25 minutes ago, Sky Island junkie said:

Use the right pill and it just plains kills stuff. My goto since the late 80's is a 7 Mag but after watching a guy snuff a small bull at 900 yards with a 6.5 PRC I figured  the Creed would be just fine at most reasonable ranges knowing that a friends wife put a Cow down with it at just under 500 yards.

I was trying to finish it as cheap as I could without putting too cheap of a scope on it and lucked out. Optics planet had Nikon Black x 1000 scopes on sale for $300 so I bought 2 of them. The tupperware stock I stiffened up with epoxy and a couple steel rods in the butt. It weighs 11 pounds is the negative but shoots lights out, just as good as my PRC that I’ve got a lot more into. A different( lighter) stock might be a better route for a youth for sure

IMG_8217.png

Tikka rifles are a great bang for the buck.

Smooth actions and superb accuracy right out of the box.

• Like 6

I have a ruger ready to go with ammo dies brass and scope I will be listing soon.

I have a Tikka T3X 6.5 and I love it. Took it on my elk hunt last year and I was surprised on how well it did. It’s a little more expensive but sometimes they will go on sale at sportsman’s warehouse. Another decent rifle is the Thompson and center Compass for half the price. Both of these rifles hold sub Moa out of the box. 

2 hours ago, PRDATR said:

I have a friend who wants to get into hunting. I chose this because ammo is readily available, recoil is light, accuracy is there and more than enough energy for deer.  I am thinking a Remington 700 just for ease of the access of the safety. I like the accuracy of Savage but they can be a bit clunky and quality control is near nill. A coworker bought a Mossberg a while back and I was impressed with the fit/finish.

I have a green Ruger American that I’d sell for $450. I think it was around $560 plus tax new.

2 hours ago, Chef said:

Tikka rifles are a great bang for the buck.

Smooth actions and superb accuracy right out of the box.

i have a tikka t3 ctr in 6.5 creed and shoot lights out.

4 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

This... we have two .....very accurate.