i was able to go back out today deer hunting and glass up nice buck! i spent my time stocking him and everything was going my way for once! i got over the top of the hill where he was bedded and there he was 95yards broadside. i drew back my bow and let the arrow fly... i couldnt hit the deer any better it was a heart lung shot. my arrow went more then half way in the deer i seen him run away with the arrow in the kill zone, we gave him 2 hr to bed back down before we started look for blood. we finnaly found blood and track it forever "almost a mile" he never once bedded down my arrow never even came out of him... i am useing a undertaker 3 blade broadhead. it made a huge hole in the pig i shot yeasterday so i thought it was good for deer??? have any of you guys use these broadheads???

im just so mad i lost this deer. its not like i gave up on him i had 3 other guys looking for him as well. i shot him at 11:30 and look for him untill dark.

thanks,

Adam

Get back at it. Might have to start looking for crows and coyotes.

Sometimes it happens.

Just my personal opinion....but don't you think a 95 yard shot with a bow is a bit excessive? Yeah you hit him but how much energy did that arrow/broadhead really have? All I can say is out of respect for that animal I'd recommend you get back out there and look for that buck until you run out of rubber on the bottom of your boots!!!!

I once shot a bedded buck at 45 yards, the arrow hit perfectly and the buck bedded shortly after the hit. I would have bet money he was dead....nope! After an hour we tracked him up and he jumped and ran! To make a long story short, I finally killed him later that evening and about 1 mile from the first shot! My conclusion was that when the deer was bedded the vital organs aren't situated exactly the same and although it appeared to be a perfect shot, that first arrow only hit one lung because of the angle......but if he was standing it would have been a perfect double lung!

The point in my story is that by taking a "95" :blink: yard shot, I would think your arrow had quite an arc to it's flight upon impact and may have only hit one lung because of the angle. Low hits have never been good in my experiences unless you "actually" hit the heart which isn't the easiest thing to do on a perfectly broadside deer and is very low and forward in the chest. A single lung hit deer will do as you described. Definitely follow up with your search and best of luck! JIM>

95 yards! Dude... not cool. Someone delete this post. This is the second post of this type in a few weeks. I suspect trouble.

Keep at it....I hope you find him. Most people wouldn't be comfortable with a 95 yard shot, but obviously you felt well prepared. I have a friend who killed an elk with a 99 yard shot. Hard for me to imagine since I am only comfortable out to 40 yards, but then I don't shoot a ton either.

I am sure you are sick to death not finding that buck, so I truly hope you find him tomorrow. Good luck!

Amanda

Good luck on finding your buck. Just don't give up . If he is running around with your arrow in him he is damaging his insides pretty well and its just a matter of time till he dies. Coues deer are a tough critter. I have seen them jump off 100 foot cliffs after they got shot, break a leg on the way down, then when you get down to them they jump up and run away from you

Hope you find that deer. I agree with others that you should go back as I have seen it many times....no matter how good you think you hit an animal, they are REALLY tough.

No need for anyone to question the 95 yard shot. I shoot my bow that far on a regular basis, just takes practice. Kind of like shooting a deer with a rifle at 500+ yards or more. IMO.

I have a buddy who swears buy these heads because they group great out to 90+ yards. But I just read an article in Archery Business Magazine were they torture tested 16 mechanical heads. They shot them through two layers of fiber-reinforced Durock concrete sheetrock and that head only went 1" through the backside and all the blades broke off. One of the worst performers in that test. There are a lot more factors on a 95 yard shot on a bedded buck then the broadhead.

A couple of questions come to mind, I doubt it was a broadhead failure. What distance did you shoot your pig at (pigs are tough skinned critters and if it works for a pig it should work for a deer)? What is your draw weight and arrow weight (total), at 95 yds, I wonder what the KE you had behind your arrow. I know that particular broadhead takes a little more to open than others. If you going to shoot longer distances, you may want to think about a two blade (Rage or a fixed blade).

Wilds animals are tough, I've seen deer take multiple shots with a 30-06....to only get up and run.....

Redman

hello -:( - Adam,Adam,Adam-- Hope Ross will let you have the day off to follow up on this situation! I tend to agree with Jim- Even if it looked perfect , the room for error can be just inches! Unless you hit vitals it's never a pretty picture and thats what I'm imagining! Good luck - Hope you marked the blood line and the last spot and don't give up yet! Redman makes a good point also - angle, distance ,the broadhead may not have opened correctly- Gary

My brother in law has killed 2 bucks between 90 to 100 yards with his bow. He can hit dead center on a basket ball every shot at that distance. Me on the other hand would be better off trying to club it with a bow at 2 feet.

Check out this artical. Does anyone offer a sevice like this in AZ?

By Jeanne Sager

FORESTBURGH — When the bear lumbered past Bob Sipos’ tree stand, he thought he was ready.

He didn’t know the shot would be the easy part.

Sipos pulled back his bow and let the arrow fly, hitting the 410-pounder with what he thought was a good shot. Then he climbed out of his stand and went home.

“I thought it was a great shot, but if it wasn’t, I wanted to give it a chance to lie down,” he said.

Sipos called his brother and a friend to rejoin him on the spot in Forestburgh a few hours later on Monday evening. They soon found a few drops of blood and the broken arrow.

But that’s it.

The broadhead had broken off in the bear, and there was no more blood. Confused, the men went home.

By morning, Sipos had a plan. He found the number for Deer Search, a non-profit run by volunteers whose dogs have been trained to track wounded deer.

The program aims to reduce the number of deer wounded and then left to die in the woods by hunters. When it was founded in the late 1970s, it was the first of its kind in the country, an all-volunteer program with dogs that have been officially trained to remain leashed and track down wounded game.

Today the dog handlers are officially licensed by the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC), setting what they do apart from the illegal practice of “running” deer down with dogs.

Not sure how the program worked, Sipos gave them a call. He found a tracker located in Dutchess County who was hesitant because of the long drive to Sullivan County but ultimately agreed to come.

The tracker brought with him his dog, Jake, a dachshund trained to pick up the scent of a wounded deer and follow it straight to where the animal has stopped. This would be his first bear, but Jake’s handler was willing to give it a try.

“I took the dog to where we last saw the blood, and he sniffed around for maybe about two minutes,” Sipos explained. “Then he just started going.”

Jake led the men to a marshy area where Sipos said you could barely stand up. With the dog’s handler, he bent down and basically crawled through the sodden earth until Jake came to a halt – right in front of the dead bear.

“It was unreal to watch him track that thing with no blood, just a scent,” Sipos said. “I just couldn’t believe it.”

Sipos quickly contacted a butcher to ensure the bear meat could be cut up and put away before it spoiled. The cold temperatures from Monday night into early Tuesday afternoon when the bear was found ensured nothing went to waste, he said.

He’s going to have the male bear full-mounted, expecting it to stand about 7 feet tall.

Although he’s been hunting since he was 16, Sipos said this is his first bear take. He had a feeling he might see one when he settled in his stand. The site in Forestburgh is littered with obvious signs of bear activity, including telephone poles that have been clawed as high as 6 feet in the air.

He’s not sure how long the bear has been in the area, although he’s sent the teeth off to the DEC to be aged to at least determine how old he was.

Right now, Sipos is still coming down off the excitement – including the thrill of following Jake off into the woods. He says more hunters should take advantage of the service to ensure their game doesn’t go to waste and the animals don’t suffer.

To contact the Mid-Hudson chapter of Deer Search, call 227-5099. The services are free – although donations are accepted – and available seven days a week.

The last time I checked, NM allows the use of dogs to track a wounded big game animal but AZ does not. IMO we should. I know I would have paid for some dogs to track a lost bull a couple years back.