Sign in to follow this  
HyNoon

Son's first coues deer

Ya Well we went down south finally and got him a coues deer ..... I haven't done a write up in a while but I decided to this time.

Well with all of my son's obligations this year for school and sports we were having a hard time figuring out what days, if any we were going to be able to hunt. We planned out to hunt Saturday and Sunday only at first, he is a senior this year but had college classes he couldn't miss on Friday. He also had a cross country event Friday evening that he could not miss,  he is the team captain. Right before we left, he got permission from his college teacher that he could actually miss a couple days and he would let Curtis make it up.

Day 1

We got there Saturday morning and went straight to hunting, we didn't even set up camp yet.... we found plenty of doe in the area we wanted to start focusing on. Same in the evening.

Day 2

We moved to our second area the next day and we saw a bunch more doe until last light. We saw two deer top over the ridge towards us. It was so dark I barely put horns on one of them.

Day 3

So ...  the next morning rolled around and nothing but does in the morning  again. Mid-day my boy said dad I need to get a workout in since I am missing two practices( he runs at the state meet this Saturday) ..so we go back to camp and he goes for a 5 mile run up and down the road by camp ( I kept thinking it would be funny if border patrol was watching him run back and forth and to be able to hear them talk about him). Yes he is crazy and dedicated to his sports and everything he does. 

We get back out that evening and were able to relocate the same two deer. They were both bucks almost identical in size, No difference that I could tell... Curtis looks him over and says he likes the one on the left.  I get him ranged while he gets prone on my pack and gets set up and comfortable. He is able to get on him in the scope and said he is ready. He sent a shoot once the buck stopped to graze. Then dropped the buck right there.

We still had a little bit of light to get to him,  which was of course at the very top of the mountain. We got to him before dark, but had to do all of the work in the dark and hike out and down in the dark. 

My son said the buck met his expectations for the time restraints we had on this trip. We are pleased and glad we were able to get him his first coues deer. Sorry for brags, but I'm so proud of the young man he is becoming and the memories we have able to make together. Thanks to everyone over the years and the support from everyone along the way.

20231030_174618.thumb.jpg.9259502b45c8cb6750dee7f005a5b88a.jpg

20231029_071530.thumb.jpg.507b5dfdf93728e907f8a5d07340d7a1.jpgIMG_0477.thumb.jpg.1a33cc2b1159da3cf307883d927eb024.jpgIMG_0477.thumb.jpg.1a33cc2b1159da3cf307883d927eb024.jpg

20231030_131811.jpg

• Like 27

Awesome congrats, especially with a limited time too. I have a couple students prepping for state this Saturday and they are running pretty much whenever they can.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, elkhunter said:

Awesome congrats, especially with a limited time too. I have a couple students prepping for state this Saturday and they are running pretty much whenever they can.

Thank you. Yes he is always running. He will be in great shape for wrestling next week. Good luck to your students!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mc68 said:

Good job, those years go by so quick. Congratulations! 

Yes they do ... I remember posting his first deer on here when he was 10  like it was yesterdayday ... wow time flies

22 hours ago, zackcarp said:

Congratulations, a good luck this weekend! 

7 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

Congrats again man!

Thanks 

Congrats 

• Thanks 1