aznighthawk

my december coues

I was drawn for a December whitetail tag with 7 bonus points. I was not able to hunt until 2 days after Christmas. With not a whole lot of time I was hoping that the rut would be in full swing. The 1st morning we went to an area that we knew held some good bucks. We started glassing and found 2 herds of elk feeding on a ridge 7 to 8 hundred yards away. One of the cows spooked and blew the whole ridge out. That afternoon we went back and started glassing and found a couple of does feeding 3 ridges over. We decided to come back in the morning. The next morning found us on top of our vantage point glassing. We spotted a deer feeding 3 ridges over, it looked like a good buck. We came up with a game plan, and the stalk was on. I was able to get within 250 yards and made a good shot, the buck went about 25 yards and laid down. I shot him in his bed and it was over. We made our way over to him, as we got closer he seemed to get bigger, there was no ground shrinkage on this one. Not bad for my first coues. I want to thank AZyoung for helping on this hunt!!

post-2093-1231543244_thumb.jpg

post-2093-1231543185_thumb.jpg

post-2093-1231543272_thumb.jpg

post-2093-1231543298_thumb.jpg

Congratulations! Awesome deer.

Way to go!

Smoker buck! Congrats on a great coues. Love the mass and tine length.

Phil

That is a great buck. Congratulations! :)

TJ

Aznighthawk,

Without a doubt this was the most exciting spot and stalk Coues hunt I've been on. I enjoyed watching a long time big mule deer hunter like yourself shoot a toad Coues buck on your first Coues hunt - You may not go back to mule deer! You waited along time for this tag and you deserve that tremendous buck. I appreciate you letting me tag along on your hunt!! :P

Congrats on real nice buck!!!!

azyoung