Sign in to follow this  
Non-Typical Solutions

Woman killed by elk?

Woman possibly feeding wildlife killed in first deadly elk attack in Arizona

The woman was found on Oct. 26 by her husband with "injuries consistent with being trampled by an elk," officials with AZGFD said.

Author: Haley Williams
Published: 8:28 AM MST November 8, 2023
Updated: 8:28 AM MST November 8, 2023

KINGMAN, Ariz. — A woman died after being attacked by an elk near her home in the Pine Lake community in the Hualapai Mountains, according to Arizona Game and Fish Department officials.

Officials believe this is the first deadly elk attack in the state of Arizona. 

The woman was found on Oct. 26 by her husband with "injuries consistent with being trampled by an elk," officials with AZGFD said. He told officials when he found her, there was a bucket of spilled corn nearby. Officials believe the attack was related to the feeding of wildlife in the area.

"The public is urged to help keep wildlife wild," a statement from AZGFD said. "Wildlife that are fed by people, or that get food sources from items such as unsecured garbage or pet food, lose their natural fear of humans and become dependent on unnatural food sources. Feeding puts at risk the person doing the feeding, their neighbors, and the wildlife itself." 

The woman was first taken to Kingman Regional Medical Center and then to Sunrise Hospital in Las Vegas. Her husband told AZGFD officials that she was put into a medically induced coma due to the severity of her injuries. 

AZGFD went to the community where the attack happened and hung warnings on residents' doors which advised people not to approach or feed wildlife. They also visited the site of where the woman was hurt and found elk tracks on the ground.

AZGFD officials were notified that the woman died on Nov. 3. The Clark County Medical Examiner's Office ruled the death accidental. 

According to AZFWD, there have been five reported elk attacks in the state during the past five years, but this was the first fatal attack. 

"In 2015, two children suffered minor injuries after a food-seeking elk circled a picnic table from which their family was eating in the Hualapai Mountains," officials said. "In 2021, an adult female received serious head injuries from an elk that was habituated to humans in Pine.

“There was a bucket of spilled corn nearby”   Why wouldn’t the elk have eaten the corn??

20 minutes ago, dsotm said:

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes 

This is what I teach my students in wood shop:

Synapses connect neurons and help transmit information from one neuron to the next. When a nerve signal reaches the end of the neuron, it cannot simply continue to the next cell. Instead, it must trigger the release of neurotransmitters which can then carry the impulse across the synapse to the next neuron.

Once the brain forms a synapse, it can either be strengthened or weakened. This depends on how often the synapse is used. In other words, the process follows the “use it or lose it” principle: Synapses that are more active are strengthened, and synapses that are less active are weakened and ultimately pruned.

26 minutes ago, dsotm said:

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes 

Funny, my SIL  made the same reply when I sent him the news clipping...

10 hours ago, eddielasvegas said:

I saw this a day or two ago.  Feeding wild animals?  What could possibly go wrong?

Eddie

1982775997_kvlq1Z8WZDEqY(1).gif.f392b9a6bdf42254e9a1ddc0f5bfe6c3.gif

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Stupid is what stupid does. Why not just drink deer urine and take on a buck, oh wait some dumb butt tried that also. No ones been killed but this happens alot up here. Prime example why stupid people shouldn't breed. Clean up the gean pool. And sadly I fall into this category. Anyway LMFAO..

• Like 1

21 hours ago, zslayer said:

“There was a bucket of spilled corn nearby”   Why wouldn’t the elk have eaten the corn??

This particular elk is on the carnivore diet!

Sounds kinky to me