Sign in to follow this  
geniejeniffer

Best unit for Coues deer hunt in Arizona?

Hello everyone! I'm planning a Coues deer hunt in Arizona and need help choosing the best unit. Can anyone recommend a unit with good deer populations? I want to increase my chances of a successful hunt. Any recent hunting trends or specific areas within the recommended units would be appreciated. Thank you!

On 11/11/2023 at 3:11 AM, geniejeniffer said:

Hello everyone! I'm planning a Coues deer hunt in Arizona and need help choosing the best unit. Can anyone recommend a unit with good deer populations? I want to increase my chances of a successful hunt. Any recent hunting trends or specific areas within the recommended units would be appreciated. Thank you!

Realistically are you looking to kill a big buck or just get your first animal. Best unit is a loaded question, especially if you have never applied before.  Great units take years to draw with our lottery system and if you don't live in AZ it takes even longer.  There are things to consider such as your experience level, shooting proficiency, appropriate gear etc.  The easiest units to draw will be the ones close to the southern border of Mexico. Imo draw an easy to get tag unit and get your first deer. That will boost your confidence level and from there start thinking about best units and best hunts.  

• Like 1

Your best bet is not to ask everyone for what unit is best.  You best bet is the use the AZGFD as a resource and read the unit reports.  There are Coues in a lot of units around the state.  Some units have a high population, some low.  Big bucks will be elusive as heck for a newbie.  Best advice is review the game reports and get REALLY GOOD glass and get REALLY COMFORTABLE glassing.