Sign in to follow this  
Non-Typical Solutions

Shooting sense

Just make sure there isn't a rock below you that you might shoot that you may not see in your scope. My buddy did that one year on his coues hunt. He had a buck lined up on a steep downhill and when he shot the rock just below his barrel blew up. Luckily he wasn't hurt. I've always shot low on both steep up and down. here's an article I found that may help. https://www.rifleshootermag.com/editorial/hitting-a-high-or-low-angle-shot/83768

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bustedknuckleinc said:

Assuming your zero is 100 I would aim dead on and send it.

Yep should be dead on at 100 and a 1/2 to a inch high at 200 and back to dead on at 300. 

7 minutes ago, Roofer Billy said:

Yep should be dead on at 100 and a 1/2 to a inch high at 200 and back to dead on at 300. 

What are you shooting that is only dropping .5 between 2 and 300?  Should be a 4-6" drop there in most anything I am familiar with. 

1 hour ago, jdown said:

What are you shooting that is only dropping .5 between 2 and 300?  Should be a 4-6" drop there in most anything I am familiar with. 

Maybe I'm wrong. I was taught to sight my 270 rifle in at 100 yards and  it would have a 1/2 to a inch rise at 200 and back on at 300 then drop like heck after that.  it's been years since I've sighted in anything. Last time I used a laser bore sight and it took 3 shots at 100 to zero it in. I've never made any real long shots . But have hit and killed everything I've shot at. 

• Like 1

My son used my .243 AI on his Coues this year. 
my rangefinder (Leica 1200 crf) read 480 yds. 
his rangefinder read 430 yds (Sig) his has a uphill/downhill correction. 
had he went off my 480 he would’ve shot over the bucks back. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Titanium700 said:

My son used my .243 AI on his Coues this year. 
my rangefinder (Leica 1200 crf) read 480 yds. 
his rangefinder read 430 yds (Sig) his has a uphill/downhill correction. 
had he went off my 480 he would’ve shot over the bucks back. 

Interesting comparison!!!

Depends on your zero…but in general for steep uphill or downhill you’d adjust lower.

That said, my .270 was zeroed at 200 and I usually held dead on from 100-300 to hit vitals/shoulder-size area so I’d be holding dead on in this scenario. 😁

On all angles either up or down - 200 yards is not 200 flat yards - it is a shorter distance / time that gravity has to pull the bullet down - in the situation mentioned by Titan gravity pulled the bullet down for 430 yards not 480 yards - the steeper the angle the less time it has to pull . 

so depending on how steep your angle was gravity may have only pulled on your bullet for 150 yards …, 

at 200 yards your 270 should shoot flat enough as bigorange said that basically from 100-300 it should hit shoulder and not have to adjust regardless of angle …. 

• Like 1