Sign in to follow this  
CouesWhitetail

Walked up on a lion yesterday

I was out yesterday filming a Coues deer hunt for the San Carlos yesterday and on the way out stopped and noticed some movement in the brush maybe 30 yards in front of me. I quickly realized it was a lion and then also noticed it couldn't get away and that it was caught in a leghold trap. So I took some quick pics and video and left. Thought you guys might enjoy the pics and video.

Lion video link

post-1-1231775218_thumb.jpg

post-1-1231775549_thumb.jpg

post-1-1231775565_thumb.jpg

Amanda, that is one beautifull lion. You must have been pretty excited to say the least to have gotten some video along with photos. Do you have any other information why or who placed the leg hold there? It's one thing to shoot an animal in the wild but I could not have been able to shoot an animal after it had been caught. Just wondered if it might have been a problem lion that needed taken care of. Please post more info if you get any.

Thanks for sharing such a rare sight for many. :)

TJ

Trapping is legal on San Carlos and they have the reservation divided into trapping units. I don't know the trapper for the unit, but my guess is it's just one of his many traps set around the area. This trap was very close to a fairly well used parking/picnic area along a creek. I have walked through that little trail many times. Wonder how many times a trap was nearly stepped on!

TJ, I understand what you mean. I was thinking about whether I could shoot that lion. I would have a really hard time with it because the animal is scared to death and just trying to get away. Seems very different than spot and stalk type hunting where the animal is unaware of your presence.

Amanda

I couldn't shoot him. I would club him with a bat, so I don't ruin the pelt. :P JK Sereiously, at this point, what other option would you have? I would like to get video of a PETA person trying to release him back to the wild. :lol: :lol:

That is awesome Amanda. Man you are on of the luckiest people I know. Thanks for sharing.

Cool pics Amanda.. I have got to see a few lions in traps back home in west TX. I have a buddy who is a govt trapper, and he makes his living catching lions.. I agree with ya though, it aint hunting when you catch one like that. BUT, trapping is fun in its own ways as well. It always gave me that "Christmas morning" feeling when you got check your line then next day! You never knew what you were going to have!

Guest 300ultramag.

THE TRAPS ARE SUPPOSE TO BE CHECKED EVERY 24HRS I THINK?

AND IM PRETTY SURE THE TRAPPER IS FORCED TO LET IT GO!

WAS IT THE GENTLEMEN FROM CLAYPOOL........ HIS TRAPS ARE EVERY WHERE!

THE TRAPS ARE SUPPOSE TO BE CHECKED EVERY 24HRS I THINK?

AND IM PRETTY SURE THE TRAPPER IS FORCED TO LET IT GO!

WAS IT THE GENTLEMEN FROM CLAYPOOL........ HIS TRAPS ARE EVERY WHERE!

I'm pretty sure it's every 48 hrs. That's what it is here in NV and up in UT anyways. And trapping is an acceptable way to kill a lion in some states. As some have said, it's not hunting, it trapping. It's got it's own different set of challenges. Don't poo poo it just because it's different. Many folks think hunting is inhumane, I think we are on all the same page on that battle. As far as shooting the lion, whats the big deal? Or what's the difference if it's up in a tree? If you feel bad for the cat, think about those PETA videos next time you eat a burger or go to KFC :D . Heck, I know of some ranches that trap lions in Mexico, and they don't shoot the lion either- they lasso a leg, stretch the cat out, jump on it, and strangle it with a piece of wire :blink:

and for the record, I've never trapped. ;)

Man you are getting some great video this year. That is a beautfiful cat.

anyone else unable to view the video? It's a higher resolution wmv file so it might just be taking awhile to download? It works when I click on it, but takes awhile.

Amanda