cannonball

Can you enter draw at 9?

My daughter is 9 and will be 10 in May. Is it possible for her to purchase a license and enter in the elk/pronghorn draw (bonus point only). She's doing the online education course now. I figured its never too early to start building up points. thanks!

You should double check with AZGFD, but I'm fairly certain the answer is YES.   I think the rule is that the minor child must be 10 years old to hunt, not to apply. (So if they turn 10 between applciation period and the hunt, they are good to go...)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, oz31p said:

Yes. If she draws she will need to be 10 by opening day 

Dupe replies crossed in the mail.

What he 👆 said! ;)

• Haha 1

If I am not mistaken, she will need to complete the hunters safety course after she turns 10. Please correct me if I am wrong.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, cannonball said:

My daughter is 9 and will be 10 in May. Is it possible for her to purchase a license and enter in the elk/pronghorn draw (bonus point only). She's doing the online education course now. I figured its never too early to start building up points. thanks!

Yes

You can enter them at 1 years old for bonus points i believe, but if they want to hunt they'll need to be 10 years old to hunt. If they turn 10 in the middle of the hunt like on day 3, they will need to wait till day 3 to hunt. I may be wrong, but that's my understanding. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jmall said:

If I am not mistaken, she will need to complete the hunters safety course after she turns 10. Please correct me if I am wrong.

She can complete the hunters safety at 9 and also enter the draw at 9 with hunters safety certificate as long as she turns 10 before the start of the hunt.  

• Like 3

I was able to get her an AGFD customer number and purchase a license as well as enter her for elk and antelope. Interestingly when I tried to select bonus point only I got an error saying she wasnt old enough, but I was able to enter specific hunt numbers....thanks all

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, cannonball said:

I was able to get her an AGFD customer number and purchase a license as well as enter her for elk and antelope. Interestingly when I tried to select bonus point only I got an error saying she wasnt old enough, but I was able to enter specific hunt numbers....thanks all

That’s a loop hole fix. Stops people from gathering bp starting at birth 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Couzer said:

You can enter them at 1 years old for bonus points i believe, but if they want to hunt they'll need to be 10 years old to hunt. If they turn 10 in the middle of the hunt like on day 3, they will need to wait till day 3 to hunt. I may be wrong, but that's my understanding. 

If this is true I did not know that. Can anyone verify this? 

2 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

That’s false, you can only apply for a hunt that they are 10 by opening day . If they turn 10 on day 3 they are not eligible till the following year 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

You can’t buy a bonus point until they are 10 years old.  You can apply 9 year olds for hunts but they have to turn 10 before the hunt starts.  

I believe they have to be 10 at the draw deadline to buy them a point.  I had to apply my son for a buffalo tag even though I had no intention of hunting it because he was only 9 at the draw deadline and the system won’t let you buy the point if they aren’t already 10.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am not sure what all has changed in 20 years, but I know when we went through it with my son you could start hunter safety at 9 but they had to be 10 by the range day. It was a challenge to find classes that worked for having a Sept b-day and Oct. deer hunt but we managed. He did the range day on a Sunday and killed his buck the following Friday.

2 hours ago, Vinnie B said:

I am not sure what all has changed in 20 years, but I know when we went through it with my son you could start hunter safety at 9 but they had to be 10 by the range day. It was a challenge to find classes that worked for having a Sept b-day and Oct. deer hunt but we managed. He did the range day on a Sunday and killed his buck the following Friday.

Do not have to be 10 by range day anymore if that was the case.  You can take hunters safety at 9 and compete at 9 (range day).  Only requirement is to turn 10 prior to start of hunt you’re applying for.

• Like 5