azhuntnut

winchester silver tips

Has anybody tried using the Winchester 130 grain silver tips in a .270? Did they seem to work well with your gun? I have a bear hunt in March and was thinking about giving these a try. My other option was the Hornady 140 grain light magnum. The Hornys are $8.00 bucks more a box. I like to shoot about 100 times at the range before I go out, so it could get quite expensive. I don't have any time to reload any right now so that isn't an option. Any suggestions would be great.

I have used Fail Safe 140 gr but not the silvertip 130's Is that a allistic silver or hollowpoint?

Overall I do like the off shelf performance of the winchesters. Good Luck!

I would try a partition bullet, or a trophy bonded bullet. You will need something that will hold together on impact for better penetration. To answer your question, no I haven't tried them.

Use to shoot yotes with them long time ago, back when the hides were worth something and worth the trouble of skinning and stretching for sale. Silvertips went right through the dogs without ruining the fur. I wouldn't use them on deer, not sure about bear as they have bigger bones etc., they may work ok but I would choose something else. My $000.2

I've had excellent success with the hornady rounds. The stuff is expensive, but the ballistics have been the best I've been able to find off the shelf. Go to the Hornady website and look at bullet drop up to 500 yards. A person would need to handload to find anything better in my opinion.

HuntNut - my buddy has used win silver tips in his 270 for years. He use to pay to have his 270 ammo professionally loaded for him. He quit doing it and now just uses the win silver tip ammo.

I purchased my first 270 at a pawn shop about a year ago. Got it just because it was a good deal. I was going to sell it but my buddy convinced me to shoot it first. We took it to the range last sept with the rest of our guns. I took the first shot just to see where it was on the paper. It was about 6 inches high. I dialed it down and picked out a bullseye to shoot at. My next three shots were all touching each other. This was at 100 yards. Needless to say I am not selling my newly found tack driver or switching from the Win Silver Tip 130 grain round.

For the money, I would say you cant go wrong with these bullets. I have used Rem core lokt in my 7 mag for years. Cant go wrong with them either. I just recently switched to Rem ballistic tip rounds but they are significantly more expensive.

If you are not going to get into reloading, you need to try and shoot several different rounds in your gun to see which one works best. Different grains and different manufacturers. You will find one that is best for your rifle. Just remember that when your barrel heats up, your shots will start to wander. You probably will have to make several trips to the range.

Good luck and shoot straight. Sundevil

All I shoot in my guns are the CT (Winchester/Nosler) ballistic silver tips. I handload, so I can't render an opinion about the Winchester factory loads, but I know these bullets group more consistently for me than their close cousin the Nosler ballistic tips. My hunting partner also switched this year when his groups shrank considerably. They stay together well - not as well as partitions or other bonded bullets - but definately well enough for any deer-sized game.

I picked up some winchester 140gr. accubonds along with some of the hornady 140gr. light magnums. I am going to try both of these to see what my gun likes best. By barrel is only 20 inches long and I am worried that maybe the hornadys might not have enough barrel to stabilize. They are pushing about 3100fps and the winchesters are closer to 2850fps. The silver tips will also be getting a chance. I will post my results. David

I spent some time this fall messing around wiht all three the Win 130 siler tips which i thought would be fine for Deer, pigs and the like. I then tried the horny's and was really impressed. I was going to go withthem and figured I would just shoot he box of win accubond 140's since I had them.. I was nto lookin gwhen I picked up the 130's and ended up with a box of each. Glad I did. The win 140's are cost friendly and I found them very consistant. The Hornaday may stay together better on Impact I will let you know how the 140 works.

Several years ago I hit a Muley buck at about 250 yards with a 150 grain win ballistic silver-tip. I hit him a little high and right and smacked him just above the shoulder blade. He dropped like a brick, of course. As I was getting my pack on and took one last look, I looked up and found him standing broadside, staring at me. Through the binos I could see where I hit and noticed a big chunk taken out of the hide. I ended up shooting him again with my buddy's .243 because it was the closest thing to me. I've taken a couple of deer with the same round and caliber (7mm Mag) and have had good luck with them. Just had the one experience where it either expanded pre-maturely or something like that.

are you talkin' silvertips or the new "balistic" deals? the old silvertips are great bullets. shot my first buck with one out o' my ol' .30/30 a lotta years ago. actually i shot him with several of em, but you know what i mean. the silvertip is one of the first controlled expansion bullets. they have a big exposed lead alloy tip that is harder than the pure lead body. it sorta drives back into the bullet, causing it to expand quickly. they're good bullets. i bought some a couple years ago for my kids to shoot outta their .270's for deer. work fine. my reloads don't work well in their rugers, so i just let em use factory loads so they're easy to tell apart. Lark.

I don't like the old silvertips because of one bad experience. Many years ago I shot a big midwestern buck at 100 yards with a 30-30 and silvertips. Hit him almost perfect but a little far back. I could see I hit him, found a lot of blood at the scene. As I began trailing the blood became less and less and I found two flat pieces of bone. Eventually the blood stopped altogether. It got dark and I had to stop. I felt terrible leaving a wounded animal. I went back the next day at first light and jumped the buck about 200 yards from where I lost him. He was running on three legs, I dropped him with a spine shot. When I skinned him I found out the first shot had hit the first rib and fragmented (remember the flat pieces of bone). Another piece of bone slid down and covered the entry wound. The largest piece of the bullet traveled forward, went down the left front leg and broke it. The other bullet pieces did little damage. I think the old silvertips have too much lead exposed for bone hits. Of course the more poweful 270 might help the problem. I have used a 270 win since that experience and really like the Hornady light mags.

Sorry for the long story, by the way that buck dressed out at 200+. On a bear go for the light mags.

Has anybody tried using the Winchester 130 grain silver tips in a .270?

AZ,

My two cents worth:

The ballistics for a 130-gr. bullet from your .270 are very close to what I get in my .264 with 140-gr. bullets. Since I quit reloading several years ago, I've been using Winchester's factory loads with 140-gr. Powerpoint. My son also now uses them in his .270 because I no longer reload for him either.

Over the last 2 years, that load has accounted for 11 of 12 African critters from a warthog up to a kudu. Only thing I shot with my .300 WM was a zebra. I used more than one shot on only one -- a black wildebeest -- that I had hit a bit far forward while it was trotting thru the brush. Although the first shot did put him down, I decided to finish the job quickly.

Below is a bullet from a blue wildebeest. He was facing directly at me at about 175 yards, so I aimed just below his jaw. Bullet stopped up against the hide next to his tail. He went down where he stood as if someone had chopped off his legs and never twitched.

264bullet.jpg

In BC, a month prior to the African hunt, I killed a 7'6" black bear with one shot at about 100 yards. He was standing nearly broadside but at a slight angle facing me. I nailed him through the front shoulder. The bullet took out both lungs, traveled through the rear ham and stopped up against the hide. Bear ran about 20 yards and died. Bullet was nicely expanded and held together quite well considering what it went through.

In New Zealand in 2004, the same bullet dropped a red deer stag, chamois, tahr and Arapawa ram -- all one shot kills. Only the tahr went a few yards before dying.

If you decide to use another Winchester bullet for bear other than the Powerpoint, I would go with the Accubond rather than the rapid expanding bullets. Save the latter for Coues deer. -TONY

Thanks for all of the replys. I haven't gotten a chance to go out and shoot the Accubonds or the Hornadys. I am waiting for my new scope. I think that the Accubonds are probably going to be best for my gun. Since the hornys are traveling at about 3150fps I tried loading up some hornady sst's last year pushing over 3100fps and couldn't get my bullits within four inches of each other. I use factory ammo in my .223, .243 barrels and they shoot like darts. I want to be able to shoot out to 400 yards accurately and still have enough punch to knock the stuffing out of a bear. Here is a picture of my .243 tack driver.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v719/azh...ut/Dsc08925.jpg