zslayer

Hunters Safety Field Day?

Anyone heard of any possible field day classes planned for central/northern AZ coming up anytime soon?   

I’ve been trying to get my 9yo into a class and check every Tuesday at 9am and there has not been one class offered yet for central or northern AZ, everything has been in the southern part of the state.   

Last time I posted about a field day, one of the instructors that frequenced this site told me that there was a class upcoming for flagstaff. This was like a year and a half ago but they do happen! I'm sure he will reach out to you like he did to me.

• Like 2

Whats crazy to me is they constantly have bonus point field days for age 18+ that have hunted three or more years but they have like two all year for youth. 

• Like 1

My last daughter I had take the field day took me 14 months to get her in!  I had to call and complain and they got her into a class because she was a non resident and resident kids were priority even though once we attended the class there were several adults attending getting their bonus points.  

Well that’s too late now.   Using the “locate hunters ed field day” they never even showed this class.   Probably because it was a in person full class and she’s already done the online portion?  I would have still done this class more than likely to get it taken care of.

2 hours ago, zslayer said:

Well that’s too late now.   Using the “locate hunters ed field day” they never even showed this class.   Probably because it was a in person full class and she’s already done the online portion?  I would have still done this class more than likely to get it taken care of.

Correct, that class was an in-person only classroom class. It was canceled the day it was supposed to start due to 3 feet of snow and I-40, I-17, and 89A all being closed by Thursday afternoon. When we have in-person/classroom classes up here, we don't accept online students because we don't have the instructor capacity to maintain the required ratio of instructors to students. 

We're starting to get organized for our annual online field days up here in Flagstaff. There is potentially one 3/30 and we're hoping to get at least one every month from March-October. I have five names/contacts I'll be sending the lead instructor for the online field days. Shoot me a pm and I can add you to the list.

• Like 2

The problem is, adults who hunt out of state are still required to get hunter education. The ethics class does nothing for an adult who want to meet out of state requirements.

1 hour ago, zackcarp said:

The problem is, adults who hunt out of state are still required to get hunter education. The ethics class does nothing for an adult who want to meet out of state requirements.

Very true.  The Ethically Hunting AZ program gets them the AZ bonus point, but does not meet out of state requirements.

On 2/16/2024 at 4:10 PM, zackcarp said:

One simple solution is take another states H-E course. They’re all administered by the same online system, and therefore recognized anyway.  I just took NM course online, which has no field day requirement, for a different state’s requirement.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, pirogue said:

One simple solution is take another states H-E course. They’re all administered by the same online system, and therefore recognized anyway.  I just took NM course online, which has no field day requirement, for a different state’s requirement.

More and more people are figuring this out, especially for their kids so their kids can hunt.  CA, NM, and TX all offer an online course with no field day and it meets the IHEA reciprocity.  Unfortunately, it doesn't get anyone the AZ bonus point, so if parents want that for their kids, they still need to take the online course or classroom course in AZ.  We're getting ramped to hopefully offer one online field day per month up here in Flagstaff starting in March.  I'm looking forward to meeting zslayer and his daughter there.

I’m in the same boat with two kids. I’ve been in contact with game and fish and they just say, sorry, watch the online portal. I did a public record request, there are 7,500 people who have passed the online that need a field day, all that are expiring by this summer’s extended deadline. There have been only 118 total seats offered or scheduled for online field days so far this year! The numbers don’t work and the department just says, well, most of our instructors never came back after Covid… but that’s not a solution, that’s just a problem. The department either needs to start managing and offering mass field days themselves, or do away with it like a bunch of other states.

• Like 1

So I heard if you take the California class for the youth, you can do it online. There is no feild day required with them so AZGF will accept this so they can hunt. Problem with this, they will not get the bonus point added. But you can always do the Feild day later with AZGF whenever you find the class opens get the point added then. 

I have not done this, but I heard it from a friend.

1 hour ago, Couzer said:

So I heard if you take the California class for the youth, you can do it online. There is no feild day required with them so AZGF will accept this so they can hunt. Problem with this, they will not get the bonus point added. But you can always do the Feild day later with AZGF whenever you find the class opens get the point added then. 

I have not done this, but I heard it from a friend.

In order to get the bonus point, you or your youth will still need to take the online portion for AZGFD.  AZGFD Hunter Ed is only giving bonus points for students who take the local class.  I don't think CA's online class is the same as AZ's.  I can verify all of that to be sure.  I could be wrong, but last I knew, all students had to take an AZ class (online or in person) with the field day to get the bonus point.

11 minutes ago, IA Born said:

In order to get the bonus point, you or your youth will still need to take the online portion for AZGFD.  AZGFD Hunter Ed is only giving bonus points for students who take the local class.  I don't think CA's online class is the same as AZ's.  I can verify all of that to be sure.  I could be wrong, but last I knew, all students had to take an AZ class (online or in person) with the field day to get the bonus point.

Yes you are correct on the bonus point, but what I was trying to say if you want your kid to hunt, if you take the requirements for CA, AZGF has given the approval for them to hunt. 

But yes to get the bonus point you would need the AZ online and AZ feild completion. Lots of people in Az have done the online but can not get in the feild class. 

• Like 1