Tines

Need a new boot

I know that we've had these discussions on here before but I can't seem to find anything. Or my "search" skills through the site are rather poor. Regardless, I need a new pair of boots......

I currently have the Danner Pronghorns. What I love about the boot: Everything but their durability. This is my 2nd pair in a little more than 2 years. Either I'm really hard on boots or they're not quite what I'm needing. I tried my best to take care of them with all of the waterproofing and conditioning but it didn't help. I tore another lug off of these like the first pair. In addition to that, on the inside of the boot above the rubber sole, there's stitching and it's blown out. I actually think it's from side-hilling and it rubbing on rocks. Here's a few pics....

This is what I need: A boot to last me more than 2 seasons. I'm not close to being well off but I'll spend more if it means they'll last. Forgive me if you guys think I'm not doing research. I've contacted boot companies and checked out boot reviews. I figured if anyone knows what's needed for this terrain and style of hunting, it would be CWT junkies. I'm considering the Cabelas Perfekt, Ibex or Alaska Hunter by Meindl. Thanks guys!

I need the following....

-Waterproof

-Lightweight (for long hikes and more "stealthy" stalks. need all the help I can get!)

-Durable

-200-400gram Thinsulate

post-500-1233172129_thumb.jpg

post-500-1233172146_thumb.jpg

I have been happy with the Lowa Tibets for the rock covered mountains. Full leather, rubber rand, gore-tex, uninsulated. Have not felt I needed any thinsulate in these. I do like the rand for the rocks and no cordura for the cactus.

Maybe carry a light pair of stalkers/sneakers to slip into during the final approach.

I have a pair of the Perfekt hunters and really like them. You do have to condition the leather on the tounge regularly to keep them from squeaking, and they won't be as light our stealthy as your pronghorns, but overall the best boots I've ever owned - and there have been lots.

www.whitesboots.com

I've worn my Smoke Jumper boots for 3 full summer fire seasons, and 3 additional part-seasons for field work... They don't break down, but they are VERY heavy. Also very expensive, but thats what you get for American quality.

Dont go with the Ibex from Cabelas.. I bought a pair a few seasons ago and they are just flat out uncomfortable. Kinda like wearing slabs of marble on the bottms of your feet. I gave up on them and they now reside in my closet, never to be used again.. I went back to the tried and true Danner Canadians up to now. When they wear out (Ive beat them to death the last 4 seasons and they are getting close to being retired), I'm going to give the Kennetreks a try. I tried on a pair at their booth at the Safari Club Convention and thought they are a great boot that deserves to be given a good run for the money. Well built, sturdy, and quite comfortable to wear.. seems like a great complany to work with as well.

One word "Kenetrek"... or is it two? I have a pair of mountain extreme 400's and a pair of hardscrabble hikers. I was in the same boat as you buying a pair of Danner cr*p every year, until I saw the light, I've gotten two hard seasons out of my Kenetreks and they aren't gonna be slowing down anytime soon. They are simply awesome... I've tried Meindls as well as the cabelas ones (same thing), they fit me good, but didn't last like I wanted them to. You WILL NOT be dissapointed with Kenetreks. The 295 bucks is well worth it, as you won't have to keep dropping 160 a year for Danners (just saying that word makes me want to puke....). I would go with the uninsulated for used down here, I use my 400's back home in ND for all winter coyote calling and icefishing, I've got cold blooded norwegian toes though... The leather is really thick, so I think the unins would be similar in warmth to a 400 Danner.

Thanks guys! I see that the non-insulated pair only come in medium widths. I need wide in most boots. I'll need to try on a pair somehow. Thanks again....

+1 for the perfekt hunter. They are great boots and are worth the extra cost.

I have always worn Red Wings, but I just got a pair of Danner Frontiers and with several trips out with them I am nothing but pleased with them. The Frontiers come in an Uninsilated, 200 gram and 400 gram.

www.whitesboots.com

I've worn my Smoke Jumper boots for 3 full summer fire seasons, and 3 additional part-seasons for field work... They don't break down, but they are VERY heavy. Also very expensive, but thats what you get for American quality.

I agree they are hands down the best boot I have ever owned. I still have two pair from Fire Fighting in the 90s. And I've only sent one back to have it re-leathered.

Buckhorn

Ive had the Cabella's Speed Hunter Boot and they are great here. Ive had the same pair for 4 years, and still going strong, just the color has faded from brushing up against all the brush. These are 100% waterproof, and odor-killing scent elliminator-if you have stinky feet like me. Hope this helps.

post-2284-1233234690.jpg

I have had pretty good luck with the Irish Setters in the last 2 hunting seasons, but have been thinking on trying something from the LOWA line of boots.....

I have a pair of the Meindl Denali boots with 400gr thinsulate for the cold weather, and a pair of the Meindl Perfekt 7" that are unisulated for everything else. Great boots, I always wear a sock liner with them and have never had a problem.

--Bill

Meindl perfekt hunters have been my most successful boot so far, I usually recommend the meindl boots to my patients as well. they do need some break in but after that they are awesome, my current pair is 2 years old and still look and feel great!! My rockies broke down every year, switched to wolverine, they were fair, danners forget it, broke apart on one whitetail hunt. Key is check for fit, try on your boots in the pm when your feet are swollen, and use a good insole(dr. scholls is NOT a good insole!) ag