Sign in to follow this  
ltd2004

3A/3C

Somehow I was fortunate enough to draw an early archery bull tag in 3A/3C.    Never hunted the unit.    Since I’ve learned I drew the tag, I’ve spent 15 days or so learning roads and hiking into areas.   I’ve been frustrated with the lack of elk sign I’m seeing.   I know a lot of bulls come from the rez during the rut.    Is it the same with cows??  If I’m in an area and there is no sign, should I write the area off or will cows come during the rut as well??  Almost everything south of the 260 looks like great elk country, but frustrated with lack of sign upto this point.   Also, during the rut, will elk be around all the horses, or do they not like to be around them.   Thanks 

Everything North and South of the 260 is great elk country. The problem is the Elk have all left. It is a combination of horses, drought and the OTC hunts in 3A. I heard through the grapevine so I can't confirm 100% but during the count last year they found under 100 head of elk that historically has 600-800 head and over 1500 horses.  There will be some big bulls still show up and you will find pockets of elk but it isn't the same as even 3 or 4 years ago. Pray for good monsoons, lots of grass and that the elk will stay in 3c. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

42 minutes ago, WHT_MTNMAN said:

Everything North and South of the 260 is great elk country. The problem is the Elk have all left. It is a combination of horses, drought and the OTC hunts in 3A. I heard through the grapevine so I can't confirm 100% but during the count last year they found under 100 head of elk that historically has 600-800 head and over 1500 horses.  There will be some big bulls still show up and you will find pockets of elk but it isn't the same as even 3 or 4 years ago. Pray for good monsoons, lots of grass and that the elk will stay in 3c. 

Wife had gotten lucky and drew that tag twice in last three years. The difference in just the three years of amount of elk was astounding. I aslo had that tag in 2016 and man had it changed. 2016 ya there were horses but now they are everywhere. Elk were slim pickings and my wife shot one on our last day right off the rez line and never found it. Super sad to see all the horses and lack of elk compared to what i have seen before. I talked to guys who were saying the same thing about horses and elk count. That being said we did find elk and they were bugling and we called a few in and had a few chances. Just was not as magical as the hunts past with alot more elk being found

11 minutes ago, Roosevelt Mark said:

I had a early rifle tag in 2022 and seen 35 nice bulls in 14 days of scouting and hunting.

Ya i guess my last post made the unit and tag sound depressing and it is not. I was more responding to horses and less elk. I honestly would say from 2016 to now i prob saw half the elk i did last year compared to 2016.But we did find ek and bulls just not as many as years past but was still a blast.

IMG_7374.png
pic of nice bull from first year she had tag in 2021 i think before camera ban. She had this bull at 40 yards with no shot. Was huge up close But no idea what it would score.

• Like 1

Just go up and enjoy and don't stress about the tag. They will be bugling the whole hunt and some days better than others. All the hunters will be gone after first week. Enjoy heber or showlow and eat good food and chase elk all over that place. U will find them! 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, WHT_MTNMAN said:

Wow that’s brutal 

I drew the same hunt this year and I am not worried about finding elk. There are still plenty of good bulls still left in the unit. Keep scouting and putting miles on your boots and you will find the elk. Our group has killed some good bulls the few years on this hunt. I will be up there 2 days before the opener and will have the whole hunt to get it done. looking forward to opening day

Scouted it several times a few years back in the summer when I had close to enough points to draw archery. Didn’t see many elk June-August but heard there were a bunch come September. I put in for a different unit 

• Like 1

I had 3C Sept 2023 success. You can read my post Sept 28, 2023 for some good insight… less than 9mo old. I would absolutely hunt this area again, but I wouldn’t concentrate on the Rez bulls as much as calling/spot/stalk in the middle of 3C. I didn't see a single elk in 3A. Horses everywhere, eating everything. Second week of the hunt, when the bulls finally came in to the calling—was off the chart. Just my observation, but I never saw bull elk near the horses. Just like any public hunting… get away from the roads, get away from people, spend more hours each day hunting than the other guy. Enjoy the hunt, however it turns out!

• Like 2

Clay springs you will get you a good one. The bulls move fast before the sun comes up back up to 300rd and the res. You'll see that Coury dude up there and his 30 cronies..good luck

16 hours ago, Code3 said:

I had 3C Sept 2023 success. You can read my post Sept 28, 2023 for some good insight… less than 9mo old. I would absolutely hunt this area again, but I wouldn’t concentrate on the Rez bulls as much as calling/spot/stalk in the middle of 3C. I didn't see a single elk in 3A. Horses everywhere, eating everything. Second week of the hunt, when the bulls finally came in to the calling—was off the chart. Just my observation, but I never saw bull elk near the horses. Just like any public hunting… get away from the roads, get away from people, spend more hours each day hunting than the other guy. Enjoy the hunt, however it turns out!

There are 0 horses in 3a. Also, there's nowhere to get away from roads in 3c, they're everywhere. This is no offense to the bull you killed last year, but I think when most people think of good elk hunting they are thinking of bulls over 300". Plenty of units you can go can find an elk and kill it.

16 hours ago, wildwoody said:

Clay springs you will get you a good one. The bulls move fast before the sun comes up back up to 300rd and the res. You'll see that Coury dude up there and his 30 cronies..good luck

There are very few elk by Clay Springs right now... Ask me how I know?  

Most of the tanks are dry. 

I'm doing my best to grow something to keep them close. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1