Sign in to follow this  
Coues&Coyotes

Sucessful opening morning junior turkey

Well we thought we would take advantage of the Juniors Turkey Hunt this year but not ever hunted turkeys before, I had to ask for assistance from my good buddy and turkey expert Jack C.

About a week before the hunt, we been searching a few spots for birds and had a couple of areas selected. Thursday before the hunt we decided to check in an area much closer to home and was able to but a few gobblers to bed that night. We decided to try for one that seems to have a few hens roosting with him.

Early Friday morning came and Brittany couldn't wait to get in the woods. Right at sunrise we heard the gobbler that we had but to bed the night before so we set up the decoys quickly and got into position. With myself sitting next to Brittany and Jack about 20 yards behind us, Jack begins his turkey seranade. Not long into his calling, Brittany whispers that she see birds about 50 yards in front of us. I put up the binos to check to see if it is the gobbler coming up out of the canyon. The turkey finaly came out from behind a pine tree and I told Britt that it was an hen and not to shoot that one. I'm not sure what Jack was telling that bird but she was really agressive with her talking and started running right to myself and Brittany. Not wanting the hen seeing me lowering my binos, I waited until she was behing a tree well under 20 yards from us.

As the hen was coming to us, I kept telling Brittany not to shoot and she would respond back to me "Are You Sure"? Well I didn't know that under 15 yards from us and right next to the decoys was the tom just struting away. He had come out of the canyon a little to our right and I never once seen him. Quickly I whispered to Britt to shoot that bird. She waited until he came out of full strut and exposed himself from behind a pine tree. One shot right in the neck and the celebration was on. Our first turkey hunt was over right before 6:00am opening morning. We even had enough time to get her to school on time. What a great experince and I think Brittany is hooked now. The turkey ended up having a 10 inch beard and weight in at about 20 Lbs.

post-2383-1240076697_thumb.jpg

Great job guys :o

Nothing better than getting the kids in the woods!!!!!!!

Nice bird

Real nice Stud Tom - NOW that's a Turkey Hunter smile- Outstanding JOB!

What was it a 20 gauge to the neck?

AzP&Y

Thanks for sharing.

Javelina and Turkey hunts are such great start for the young ones.

Especially the spring turkey hunt with all the gobbling and calling.

The anticipation as the Tom keeps getting closer or just is there :P

the Bad Tom strutting his way in has to be the greatest.

Again, Thank you to the GF for doing the over the counter hunt for the juniors.

Congratulations to Brittany and the picture saids it all. It brings back memories of a turkey hunt I helped a young girl on many years ago. Thanks for the story and I'm sure Brittany had some stories to tell the boys back at school. Way to get it done Dad and Jack C. :)

TJ

This was once again a "truely" great experience with this young lady. Good job Brittany! I wish I could have seen a bird stut at 10 yards for a couple minutes before shooting. This was a perfect situation and what a way to start for her. How about this young lady shooting a 12 ga. to boot!

Brittany,

Nice job! What is your good luck hunting charm that has been working so well on the coues, peccaries and toms?

Doug~RR