Coach

Nick got his turkey

Nick turned 10 in February and jumped right in by taking his first Javelina shortly after his birthday. So now it's turkey time!

We missed opening weekend due to being slammed with baseball. Three sons on three teams in three different leagues means we pretty much live at the ballfield - not to mention I'm coaching one of the teams. Anyway, I've been dying to get the boys out on this Jr. hunt. I was laying awake last night thinking of this cool little burn I found last fall while helping a buddy on an archery bull hunt and I just got the feeling that we'd find some birds in there this Spring. So, today being the only day this week we don't have either a game or a practice, I decided to take Nick out there after school and give it a whirl.

Right off the bat we found a few tracks so we knew they were in there. After a bit of poking around we found an area that seemed to be getting a lot of activity, and had a nice drainage leading through the pines up into the burn, so we set up the double-bull and a few decoys. We started off the set with some really loud clucks on the slate, then waited a few minutes and went at it again. After only 15 minutes, it came - that sound we were hoping for- a gobble a couple hundred yards behind us. I hit the call again, and again the Tom gobbled, but already much closer. Within just a couple of minutes we could hear him putting as he came up behind the blind and to the left. From where he was standing, he could see the decoys, but you could tell he knew something was off. He hung up behind a little live oak strutting, gobbling and beating the ground. He clearly wanted those hens to come to him.

Nick shifted to my side of the blind and tried to get a clean shot, but was mostly blocked by that oak. I hit the call lightly again and the old boy let out one more gobble. This time his head cleared the tree long enough to give Nick the opportunity he was waiting for. BOOOM!~ It was all over. He dropped in his tracks. I was super proud of Nick for holding off until he had a good shot - especially given the circumstances. And I have to admit - I've been on a lot of turkey hunts and it has NEVER happened that fast. Now I just hope Nick's not spoiled for life thinking it's always that easy! :lol:

So one down, now it's Matt's turn. He's my oldest and was busy umpiring a game this evening, but I'll do my best to get him a chance to pull it off also. If he gets one, I can focus on my tag - :P

Enjoy the pix.

post-478-1240378473_thumb.jpg

post-478-1240378566_thumb.jpg

post-478-1240378602_thumb.jpg

Wow!!! nice bird!!!! your right the kids are doing a great job!!! Hope you guys get one more!

Thats bad AZ Jason good job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sincere congrats to the boy!!!!! I had my two young ones out in 23 over the weekend. Didn't get one, but we had a few close calls that made it very fun.

Good for Nick!!!!

S.

:)

I must have missed this one. Congratulations on a nice bird. :)

TJ