seek100plus

What weird stuff have you glassed or happen well glassing for game?

Crazy story... What did the note say? Any skeletal remains nearby?

Well these stories are great and hit home on alot of points but the weirdest most recent thing that happened to me and a great hunting buddy is we were scouting for Deer and javalina in January in the supersitions for an other friend that had a ham hunt and trying to get familiar with the terrain so we hiked on top of a good sized hill and found a cut out at the top . A comfy spot to do some glassing that had sun to our backs and decent shade and a cool light breeze hitting us in the face this would soon become a bad decision on my part . As we were at the top nature called and I opted to move down wind a bit and found a weird suicide note that looked like was in a home made shrine there was a faded out picture of some girl very hard to make out as the weather had wiped most of the note and the picture out .As I finished my business sat down and went back to glassing for about an hour when all of a sudden we heard the craziest distress /fight call ever I looked to my left just in time to see this huge owl flying up the ridge headed towards us with a huge black animal of some kind in its clutches as it got closer I realized it had a big skunk by one legs and back of its head and this skunk was going nuts .we both just watched as this owl decided to fly right over us not more than 15 feet above us we could hear his wings flap and the crazy skunk sreaming his lungs out my Buddy and I were both paralyzed just gawking at this when as soon as I realized ( that wind I mention in our face) we were getting a golden shower from the flailing skunk! I couldn't out of the way fast enough the owl flew up about 30 or more feet and just let the skunk do a peter pan right on the rocks below then sat down for a nice tenderized meal. However I got the worst of the spraying and my buddy mainly got his pants with it but my hat my pack and my shirt was never the same so I made a smelly donation to good will :blink:

No we looked for awhile around the base of the hill, top and so forth, and nothing out of the ordinary but this guy was really hart broken over this gal couldnt make much out of alot of this worn out paper like a name or something but it did say it was time to end his existance I left the note under the rock in the shrine where I found it . And after the crop dusting we got we got the HE doulbe hocky sticks out of there ! no one wanted us in there camp so we called an early end to the hunt and focused on getting clean .

Well these stories are great and hit home on alot of points but the weirdest most recent thing that happened to me and a great hunting buddy is we were scouting for Deer and javalina in January in the supersitions for an other friend that had a ham hunt and trying to get familiar with the terrain so we hiked on top of a good sized hill and found a cut out at the top . A comfy spot to do some glassing that had sun to our backs and decent shade and a cool light breeze hitting us in the face this would soon become a bad decision on my part . As we were at the top nature called and I opted to move down wind a bit and found a weird suicide note that looked like was in a home made shrine there was a faded out picture of some girl very hard to make out as the weather had wiped most of the note and the picture out .As I finished my business sat down and went back to glassing for about an hour when all of a sudden we heard the craziest distress /fight call ever I looked to my left just in time to see this huge owl flying up the ridge headed towards us with a huge black animal of some kind in its clutches as it got closer I realized it had a big skunk by one legs and back of its head and this skunk was going nuts .we both just watched as this owl decided to fly right over us not more than 15 feet above us we could hear his wings flap and the crazy skunk sreaming his lungs out my Buddy and I were both paralyzed just gawking at this when as soon as I realized ( that wind I mention in our face) we were getting a golden shower from the flailing skunk! I couldn't out of the way fast enough the owl flew up about 30 or more feet and just let the skunk do a peter pan right on the rocks below then sat down for a nice tenderized meal. However I got the worst of the spraying and my buddy mainly got his pants with it but my hat my pack and my shirt was never the same so I made a smelly donation to good will :blink:

Haha nice story! That would of been hilarious to see..

I was hunting in NM last year, glassing from a hillside several hunderd yards from my truck. After a while a whole herd of cows wandered over to my truck and were clustered around the tailgate. I finally put my camera up to my Leica's and took a series of pictures 'cause it was so weird how they were clustered around the truck for so long. I'll try to upload a couple of them. Meanwhile, when I got back to my truck, (the whole truck was covered with dust from a couple days' hunting) the tailgate was LICKED clean. The cows gave the tailgate, and only the tailgate, a tongue bath! This was seriously weird. All I can figure is there was some mineral had accumulated there in the dust that they wanted. The rest of the truck was still dirty. Go figure.

post-339-1286340079_thumb.jpgpost-339-1286340111_thumb.jpg

While glassing in unit 22 out by Sunflower , I see a dirt bike rider coming down a trail. The fella was covered in green riding gear and riding a green dirt bike. I watched him negotiate a sharp turn and his front tire-handle bars were ripped from his grip, hit a rock it looked like. Anyways he gets launched like an arrow and hits the dirt. As I am watching him on the ground, I check my cell phone for service and it is good. I am wondering if he is going to get up or is hurt. The individual rises after a few minutes, and walks over to the dirt bike and proceeds to start kicking the crap out of the fuel tank--seat area. After he tires I guess, he lifts the bike up and has to kick start a few times and off he goes. Glad he got up and did not have to make a 911 call.

I'm usually carrying a camera rather than binox when I'm out scouting, so sometimes I get an unusual picture. This fall in the woods south of Flagstaff I heard some animal giving panic screams; turned out to be a mulie fawn with a coyote just about glued to its tail as they zigzagged through the woods. They were almost to me when the mom showed up, and when she did the fawn laid down immediately and the mom held off first one coyote, and then another that joined the fracas. When I spotted a third one moving in, I felt like it was OK to even the odds by walking in myself and breaking up the whole party. I didn't get very good pix, but in this one you can see the doe, fawn, and coyote at pretty close quarters.

post-4980-1290542556_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I'm usually carrying a camera rather than binox when I'm out scouting, so sometimes I get an unusual picture. This fall in the woods south of Flagstaff I heard some animal giving panic screams; turned out to be a mulie fawn with a coyote just about glued to its tail as they zigzagged through the woods. They were almost to me when the mom showed up, and when she did the fawn laid down immediately and the mom held off first one coyote, and then another that joined the fracas. When I spotted a third one moving in, I felt like it was OK to even the odds by walking in myself and breaking up the whole party. I didn't get very good pix, but in this one you can see the doe, fawn, and coyote at pretty close quarters.

That was nice of ya :)

I envy you folks that are able to glass all these neat things , I never am able to see whats going on even though I am able to stumble along behind (mostly my kids and their kids nowdays) and listen as they look.

I do amble around with a couple other old goats and get into a few situations on occasion .....

like this fall when sleeping on a tarp, on my back with the tarp pulled up to about my waist and

trying to sleep with one ear cocked listening for the goats which have a habit of getting into something....

when on the opposite side from where the goats had been laying something woke me up.

There in the moon light was a bear standing on my tarp looking down into my face.....

that flash and the next .... where my nose almost hit his butt as I was rising up and he was

leaving are still the most vivid. I feel sure he didn't realize I was there until he was on top

of me .. the goats where right beside me...... I can tell you if you are a little slow things can

be confusing when your more than half asleep. The next flash was into the tree he was standing beside trying to come to his own senses and he was off at about a 1 o'clock angle into the trees and then came back traveling a 5 o'clock o bleak back ....

wherein a 5 D.O. Buck load out of a Mag Research BFR danced in his confused path turning him in a 11 o'clock direction.. I think he was headed in same direction he had been headed when he ran across us and was leaving, it might have gone easier on him if he would have picked on a little faster thinker something I've never been known for in normal times.

Glassing in unit 8 during a bull elk hunt a watched a coyote chase a jack rabbit around a hill for a few minutes. The smart rabbit got away. I thought about shooting the coyote but didn’t want to scare off any elk in the area..... not that I had any luck that year.

In 34A I watched two wt does tag team this bobcat all over the hill I was next to. When one doe got tired the other took over. they chased him for over ten minutes before he finally had enough and selected zone 5 and bugged out. Wish I had gotten it on film. Last year I was scouting for my dads early wt hunt when I heard a noise behind and to the left of me, as I turned around to see what was making the noise I was practically ran over by six Javelina being chased by a Mountain Lion. As I walked back to my truck I found the Lion tracks "inside of my boot prints" as I walked in!! I also witnessed an XXX event wt hunting when I was 15.

Once I was glassing from a small cliff when I looked down from my binoculars and seen about 30 yards from me what I took to be a fox. When I looked through my binos it turned out to be a spotted mountain lion cub.

last year we watched two doe chase down and kill a coyote by stomping it out. great show

Doe's can be real dangerous, specialy when they have young around. Seen couple domestic dogs get hurt/killed on youtube....so bad stuff.

A few years ago I was sitting in a well brushed in blind on a water hole in SE AZ. I hear a horse coming up the trail toward the water hole and see an amazingly hot girl that I had just met riding the horse (the ranchers neice). I had stopped to check in with my long-time rancher friend just the day before and was actually invited to come to dinner the following night (guess the rancher was trying to hook us up, we were both recently single). Anyway, she rode her horse to within 15 yards of my blind and got off and was facing away from my blind. She proceeded to take TP out of her back posket, pull her pants down and drop a deuce right there. It all happened so fast that I could not give her warning until she was in the process. Well at that point, I decided that it was too late and didnt want to embarass her (or myself) and hoped she would just do her business and take off without seeing me. She took the meanest crap in the most un-lady like way, wiped and stood up and pulled her pants up. She got back on her horse and started riding again. I thought I was in the clear when her horse stopped and turned his head and looked right at me... she looked over and saw me. She turned bright red and waved, and I waved back. Not a word was said and she rode off. Needless to say, I didnt go to dinner as I was too embarassed to face her. We talked last year for the first time since and we both laughed about it... but it was still a little uncomfortable.

• Like 2