seek100plus

What weird stuff have you glassed or happen well glassing for game?

Well I was not glassing, I was just walking around the desert. I was about a 1/4 mile as the crow flies, and just under 1/2 mile from the road. There were no trails around. I look down and found this crack pipe. The pipe was accidently destroyed malioucsly under a big rock.

post-3620-0-68292200-1330443447_thumb.jpg

On Saturday morning in 20B someone in my hunting party glassed up another hunter mooning him. :huh:

It was a very cold windy day at Patagonia Lake. My wife and I were not catching anything and decided to go up to a picnic table to eat lunch and get out of the wind. She jumped off the boat and was tying up as I walked with the cooler up to the table. Next campsite over a totally naked lady come out of the tent. She saw me and it was a deer in the headlights moment. She wanted to get something off the table but froze when she saw me. I diverted my eyes slightly and she continued on, got what she wanted, and went back in the tent. Later as we ate lunch a man with clothes on came out of the tent. :rolleyes:

Well I was not glassing, I was just walking around the desert. I was about a 1/4 mile as the crow flies, and just under 1/2 mile from the road. There were no trails around. I look down and found this crack pipe. The pipe was accidently destroyed malioucsly under a big rock.

evidently, SFW hunts the same place you do.

• Like 1

Some years back I wanted to glass the late afternoon/evening before opening day of the late rifle elk season. It was an area was about a half mile from our camp where we'd seen a real nice bull up close (about 30 yards) during scouting. I suggested that my dad stay at camp because he was pretty worn out and out of shape and we needed to hunt the next week hard, but he insisted he was coming. He found a level spot behind a log and stretched out and it wasn't long before he was sawing that log, loud and clear. I moved 40 yards farther up the hill to get away from his snoring and glassed without seeing any elk. Just as it was getting dark and I was fishing my headlamp out of my pack, in sneaks this bull bee lining right past my snoring dad. It starts to walk right by him, then must have gotten curious about the sound and stops to look. Then it walks over to the log and puts his snout down by my dad's head. My dad claims the bull nipped at his stocking cap and my dad stops snoring, lets out a 'huh?', sits bolt upright and I watch this beautiful bull wheel around--the way they do that looks almost slow-motion--and then high tail it out of the area.

No bull for either one of us on that hunt, but my 2 cousins showed up at 11 that night to that area they never scouted and both shot bulls with rifles they borrowed from me. :rolleyes:

That big bull is probably re-living his version of the story right now and can't sleep.

My cousin glassed up a mule deer and it was licking the ground walking a tight circle licking away, then the deer layed down and kept licking the ground at it's side. After about a half hour a cow elk showed up and chased the deer off and started licking the same spot. A few minutes later an elk calf stood up and walked off with his momma. Seems like the deer was caring for the elk calf in the cows absence.

My cousin glassed up a mule deer and it was licking the ground walking a tight circle licking away, then the deer layed down and kept licking the ground at it's side. After about a half hour a cow elk showed up and chased the deer off and started licking the same spot. A few minutes later an elk calf stood up and walked off with his momma. Seems like the deer was caring for the elk calf in the cows absence.

that's pretty interesting! I guess some instincts are hard to control!

Last year on the early wt hunt in az i was glassing with my brother and a couple buddies then i decided to go up to the higher point.i sat down started to glass. After finding a few does i heard a noise. I figured it was birds in the grass. A few seconds later i realized the noise was walking right below me. Immediately after i see the tips of antlers. It was two bucks slug right below me at about 10 yards away! My rifle was behind me about 10 feet away. I had a little log in front of me so i decided to crawl towers my rifle. I then had to put a she'll in the chamber. The deer and my buddy Steve heard me do that. The deer spooked over the edge so Steve and i went to where i knew we would see then from above. As you can imagine, this was a mad scramble. We saw then comer out into a clearing. The range aren't gave me was 280 them they hoped a fence i kept waiting for them to stop. They did and i shot at the big one. And we watched me shoot right underneath him. They were gone! ya i missed our you would have seen my sweet pics of me with a great buck by my side. I now have learned the lesson that every little move i make i will have my rifle next to me with one in the chamber. Hopefully this will get you fired up for the draw next week. That will probably never happen to me again but it is the coolest thing i have had happen while glassing!

This thread needs a bump! Great stuff!

We were in Unit ## glassing during the late archery hunt, and we saw 2 crows and a hawk fighting back and forth. Well, apparently, one of the crows stole whatever "food" from the hawk, and took off. He made it about 200 yds before the hawk caught up to him. Well, the crow got scared and dropped the mouse/rabbit/carcass/whatever, and went into evasive maneuvering. The hawk, from about 20 yds back, immediately dropped into a nose dive and caught the food out of the air just before it hit the ground. He had to have been going 70 mph! It was a heck of a catch!

This might not be "weird", but it is interesting, or at least mildly humorous.

I was hunting unit 32 last November on a Coues hunt but was only seeing mule deer. A rancher had put in a big water tank and cleared an area flat for it. There were a group of three doe mule deer that worked their way down a ridge to come to water. Then right on the edge of the cover, where they could go no further without exposing themselves, they all stopped. They looked a little nervous and glanced around. Then the doe in the back lowered her head and nudged the one in front of her with her nose as if to say "you go first." That was funny enough but then the one that had just been nudged snorted and did the same thing to the one in front!

It was all I could do to not bust up laughing. It reminded me that deer are often more human-like than we give them credit for.

A couple years back in unit 21 we were hunting Jan archery , and we drove a buggy road that nobody drives to scary plus full of snow so we new or thought there was nobody in there we were at the end of the road and we saw to guys running with rifles and spotting scopes so we had are 40 cal pistol so we thought we would walk up there we saw them peaking out of the grass with there bino's as we walked up the mountain they took off again so we figured ok they have rifles we have bows and a pistol not smart so as we thought we better move away from the area we drove about 300 yards and they step back out and were watching us with there spotting scope and rifles and they were pointed in are direction the only thing I could figure is if they hiked up from the bottom and that is along long hike never did see them again so no clue what was going on and didn't want to get shot trying to figure it out .

2 years ago I was in 22 hunting archery in jan we pattern this nice wide buck as I was with in 30 yards of him this red full size chevy pulls up it was a regular cab, so I tuck down and a rifle goes off in my direction so scared as heck my buddy was down the road so I got on the radio to get over here he talked to the guy and he said they shot a rabbit with there pistol but I no the difference ,I told my buddy I didn't want to hunt anymore scared the shoot out of me next weekend we went back intell hunt was over never did see that buck again .

Well I wasn't glassing but had a crazy thing happen last year. My wife and I went to a spot we enjoy seeing critters and were driving around and she says "there is a Quail". Well having a lot of Quail pics I wasn't too excited but I backed up and took a few pics of a male standing on the ground.

post-4217-0-64660800-1371737241_thumb.jpg

Then we see a female and she is being followed by some newborn babies that are very small and cute as can be. I am having a hard time getting pics because of the brush, grass and the small size of the babies.

post-4217-0-30874000-1371737379_thumb.jpg

We are sitting in the car just enjoying the Quail family walking by looking for food etc.. and then our nice peaceful moment exploded with the Quail going ballistic flapping everywhere and making all kinds of noise! We are trying to figure out what is going on and then we see a snake and believe it was after a baby. Well the snake gets ran off and the babies are scared out of their minds hiding under mamma Quail.

post-4217-0-12610100-1371737407_thumb.jpg

Then the snake crawls up a near by bush and the male keeps climbing up underneath it and then back to check on his family and then back underneath it to keep the snake up in the bush so the family can escape.

post-4217-0-25094400-1371737995_thumb.jpg

post-4217-0-96878000-1371738012_thumb.jpg

It was the craziest thing I have seen and couldn't believe it happened right in front of us. It did not catch a baby and everyone was fine as far as we could tell. The last pic is the snake hiding in the bush if it wasn't red I am sure it would be blushing after what the Quail had done to it!

post-4217-0-45178600-1371738215_thumb.jpg

• Like 3