A buddy and I went on our annual fishing trip to the Reservation. Fishing was awesome. We went for 2 days on the river and fished the tanks for 2 days and even tried a few hours at Point of Pines. We got nothing at POP and then found a little tank and caught a bunch of little largemouths at a tank. The next two days we hit the river, and walked by far too many fish looking to get away from other anglers to no avail. Anyways, the river was good to us and gave us quite a few big ones like these and a ton of 6-12 inch fish. On the last day we hit the tank again and I scored a really good largie (around 4 pounds or so) but the camera was in the truck and I released him unharmed. The fish in the river wanted hard jerk baits and soft plastics and the ones in the tank wanted buzzbaits and soft plastics. The river is dropping quick and the water levels in all the tanks and POP was good. Fishing might have been better but I am sure if we would have slowed down and fished instead of hiking all over we might have caught more and maybe bigger. The bears didn't jack with us and we had a good time. We thought these bear signs were funny and very true when camped anywhere near water.

bear1.jpg

On the way into POP

cast1.jpg

Lure just hit the water

land2.jpg

30 Seconds later and the standard 10-12 inch smallie flopping around hoping he will be turned loose

black3.jpg

A very nice fish capping off a long hot day, still a mile to hike back to camp

black2.jpg

Another pig, Brad really smoked me this day on the bigger fish, he got 5 right around this size and a million smaller ones. My hookset was off and I got a bunch of dinks. Oh well I smoked him the day before on numbers and size. Not that we keep real track anyways :ph34r:

Has anyone caught any fish out of POP at all this year? I fished there for a few hours and never managed a solid bite. The indians told me the bite was on there, I must have not been set up right. Any of you guys with SC coues tags should do good this year, there was alot of deer sign along the river and the ridges breaking down into it, more than last year anyways. Also lots of elk, bear and lion sign and we even saw two bald eagles and an osprey and a nice herd of Antelope near the POP turn off with a good buck in the midst of them.

Bret M.

for some reason widge, i sorta figgerd you fished like gollum. don't know why fer sure. maybe it's them suction cup fingers. i ain't fished point o' pines for years. in fact, a couple weeks ago i went that away to get to my cousin's place on the upper eagle. first time i'd been through there in probably about 20 years. last time i was in that country was when we were killin' huge rainbows at dry lake. until bob hirsh and his tv show ruined it. anyway, back then point o' pines was always good, but never had the big fish like dry lake and some of the other stock tanks. now all the stock tanks are fulla bass and cats. it was sure good to see that country again. we seen pigs, muleys, a buncha coues, elk turkeys and pronghorns all over the place. neat trip. looks like you fellers had fun too. Lark.

That water looks like it is cool. :ph34r: Also looks like you had fun, thanks for the pics! :D

Bret looks very nice, some beautful fish. Congrats on the success and good times.

Back in the 70's, we would hike down from the pump station and catch lots of fish, many 15-18", biggest was 22". Then, Uncle Bob Hirsch wrote about the Black by the pump station, and the next trip we counted 27 people down river and three of us caught less than 20 fish combined. We have not been back to the pump station since.

Bret, Did ya see any rattlers? One trip we saw 4, and my friend actually stepped on one hidden in the grass. I think he did a world record broad jump on his next step. On the hike out , he was about to step on another, but was jerked back by his pack by a third guy. If he got bit, we woulda buried him there, as he would go to the hospital for bee stings as a kid.

Doug

The river got very crowded on Friday with people rolling in early in the morning. We didn't see a soul on Wed or Thursday though. We have decided to make mid week trips from now on. We saw no snakes on the river, but speaking of snakes, the other day in the Superstitions I was stumbling around and heard this bugger a long time before I found him. Those are the ones that scare me the most, the ones I hear but do not see, I am never sure which way to move at that point. There has been a ton of them out in that rockpile this year. At least this one didn't have a clear shot at me. It made for a crappy picture but I prefer them that way when it comes to live rattlers.

snake.jpg

Bret M.

Dang, He has a bunch of buttons on his tail...I hate it when I run into one :ph34r: It makes me kinda paranoid for the rest of the day.

I think it's pretty clear........He hunts and fishes for a living :D :rolleyes: :D !! How he earns money is another story. :huh:

:ph34r:

LOL More D!!! :rolleyes: I was beginning to think the same thing myself....

Awesome pics & write-up Bret! Nice to live vicariously through the adventures of someone who obviously has WAY more time than I do to enjoy the outdoors!

S.

:ph34r:

Hey, Since we're talking about work, what does eveybody do? I'am a tile contractor.