Sign in to follow this  
azcoues

missing hunters

there are 11 camps missing in 6a and 5b about 30 hunters one body found hunters be careful in the snow while hunting,panic is the number 1 factor in the chances of survival be smart wear proper clothing,and use that gps,hope the outcome is good.

Fingers are crossed and prayers have been sent.

+1 been thinking about it alot since it was aired on the news..... Hang in there guys!

hello - hope they all are- ok - and found safe

Its all about making the right decisions - bad weather is very unpredictable - especially snow storms in the high country - the ole " better to be safe than sorry " .Not even the experts knew this storm was gonna drop several ft of snow over night ! They need to be really glad the second storm didnt hit yet - so rescue crews have a chance at getting them out - Looks like more bad weather is expected overnight tonight - lets hope those sticking it out are prepared and that the rescue teams find everyone safe - -- Gary

Hope everyone comes out OK. My son's friends dad is up in 9. They are waiting for the right time to come out. They had enough stuff to last. He also got a cow elk. They can eat that if they run out of food.

A similar thing happened while I was in high school in the early 1950s. There were no cell phones then, and few hunters had campers, camp trailers or four-wheel drive vehicles. Hundreds of hunters were stranded and were running out of food when rescuers using horses, tractors and military command cars reached them.

If I remember correctly, more than a dozen hunters died of exposure. One of them was the Yuma crop duster pilot I worked for. I used to ride in the hopper of his Sterman biplane to the fields, where he landed and I loaded the hopper with DDT, then flagged for him, before climbing back in the hopper and flying back to town. I wore a respirator, but I still can smell the stuff.

They found Woody's body under a juniper the next spring. The newspapers said there were two or three books of burned matches around him, indicating he had unsuccessfully tried to start a fire.

In addition to the elk hunters, the storm killed thousands of pronghorn antelope. Carcasses of entire herds were later found piled up against fence corners all across the north country. They never really recovered after that.

Bill Quimby

A similar thing happened while I was in high school in the early 1950s. There were no cell phones then, and few hunters had campers, camp trailers or four-wheel drive vehicles. Hundreds of hunters were stranded and were running out of food when rescuers using horses, tractors and military command cars reached them.

If I remember correctly, more than a dozen hunters died of exposure. One of them was the Yuma crop duster pilot I worked for. I used to ride in the hopper of his Sterman biplane to the fields, where he landed and I loaded the hopper with DDT, then flagged for him, before climbing back in the hopper and flying back to town. I wore a respirator, but I still can smell the stuff.

They found Woody's body under a juniper the next spring. The newspapers said there were two or three books of burned matches around him, indicating he had unsuccessfully tried to start a fire.

In addition to the elk hunters, the storm killed thousands of pronghorn antelope. Carcasses of entire herds were later found piled up against fence corners all across the north country. They never really recovered after that.

Bill Quimby

Mr. Q,

I also think there was a very big storm in the late 60's. My Unlce refers to it as the storm of the century. He's always talking about this big storm. And how they got snowed in unexpectedly around alpine on their first elk hunt. He also tells how one of his friends thought it would be a good idea to build a fire inside their canvas tent. Burned a whole through the top of the tent and got all their clothing wet. He's got some good stories as always.

I heard some hunter's in this storm were refusing assistance.. Got to luv the passion..but I 'd rather get the help myself.. my prayers to the ones that lost their lives..peace

don't remember the exact date, but it was a week or so before Christmas in '67. it snowed 18" in the gila valley. i saw some pigs about a week before the storm. didn't see another one for a couple years. i've never seen a big herd since. used to see a lot of pig herds of over 30. one had 75. i don't think i've seen a herd since then with a dozen pigs. i've read about the storm bill mentioned. it was a bad deal. a lot of guys died in it. seems like one of the azgfd honchos was a victim of it. i've been caught in the snow. it ain't fun and is spooky. i never heard about anyone dieing in this storm. there is an article in the paper right now that says all were well and accounted for. glad it turned out well. when i heard it on the news while travelling this morning i thought about the other storms and the problems. glad serach and rescue jumped on it and that folks planned for it. Lark.

don't remember the exact date, but it was a week or so before Christmas in '67. it snowed 18" in the gila valley. i saw some pigs about a week before the storm. didn't see another one for a couple years. i've never seen a big herd since. used to see a lot of pig herds of over 30. one had 75. i don't think i've seen a herd since then with a dozen pigs. i've read about the storm bill mentioned. it was a bad deal. a lot of guys died in it. seems like one of the azgfd honchos was a victim of it. i've been caught in the snow. it ain't fun and is spooky. i never heard about anyone dieing in this storm. there is an article in the paper right now that says all were well and accounted for. glad it turned out well. when i heard it on the news while travelling this morning i thought about the other storms and the problems. glad serach and rescue jumped on it and that folks planned for it. Lark.

Cowboy up and toughen up you Arizona dudes. Sheeeesh. A few inches of snow and everyone falls apart. This ain't badass country.........it's warm and tame and for the weak. You should be able to handle this with ease like the Wyoming folks do! It's the City folk that are complicating this run-o-the-mill, western US storm. I can't believe the interstate blockages and accidents and such for this small weather event! Everyone in Wyoming prepares for and drives an unplowed highway to work.............why 8 hours to travel 45-minutes here?

I knew all we had to do was give you a little time and you would shoot your mouth off about how tuff you are. Just a matter of time. a name change does not change the real poster.

My prayers are with those that may be in trouble and to the firefighter that lost his life to the tree falling on him.

I knew all we had to do was give you a little time and you would shoot your mouth off about how tuff you are. Just a matter of time. a name change does not change the real poster.

My prayers are with those that may be in trouble and to the firefighter that lost his life to the tree falling on him.

Ditto, ditto, and ditto.....LOL!!! Been waiting for your call for years! My number is 928.864.8185. Can't remember your old username..................nor where I can find your useful, contributory, picture-laden posts? Been looooooooooong waiting........

I don't know about you, but any fireman stupid enough to camp under a tree in a predicted winter blizzard I don't want saving me.............must be another Arizona thing.......