Sign in to follow this  
GTT

Jakob's 1st archery javelina!

1st off...Congrats to all the youth hunters!

Jakob got his 1st archery javelina this past weekend, on his 1st archery hunt, At 12 years old! It happened Sunday morning around 9:00 on 1-3-10. 4 shots & he hit him all 4 times!

Jakob is 2 for 2 with a rifle so we decided to try it with a bow this time. I bought Jakob & I these tags over the counter. I decided not to carry my bow until he got one.

Jakob practiced until he could pull back 40 lbs. & shoot consistent out to 20 yards. He'd say" You get me within 20 yards dad & I'll hit em".....I'll try.....

Friday & Saturday we hunted hard but only came up with lots of hunters,some deer, & a few distant pigs that we couldn't re-locate.

Sunday morning we hiked to our favorite glassing spot. After about an hour we glassed up 3 pigs! They were about 3/4 of a mile away & the stalk was on! After about 30 minutes we were on the ridge we last saw them. We would stop & glass as we went but couldn't find them until Jakob says "is that a pig by that cactus?".... sure enough, 65 yards away stood a lone pig... "good job buddy let's go!" Keeping the wind right, we started to close the distance on a tree that should put us 20 yards from them. We were almost to the tree when I tell Jakob to "knock an arrow & get ready". A few more steps & we spot a pig walking out to the right from behind that tree at about 15 yards! He's behind a bush looking in our direction & woofing...."when he steps out take him behind the shoulder". The pig starts walking out to the right, Jakob comes to full draw & as the pig is walking....wack! he hits him!...a little far back but he's hit!...."re-load!" (I was a little exited...lol! ) 2nd shot closer to 20 yards now as the pig steps through a small opening in the brush & stands...wack!...mid body but low! We Track him down into a wash & under some boulders where he laid with his back to us. 3rd shot 10 yards..."right between the shoulders where the collar is o.k.?"....wack! " good shot buddy! let's just wait him out". After about 10 minutes we decide to try & get him to stand, so Jakob could get a broadside shot & finish him....this is one tough pig! I took a stick & got him to stand/crouch in the back of the cave...now he's quartering to us. 4th shot (last arrow) 5 yards...."hold tight to the shoulder right behind the collar"...wack!... "that's the one!...lung shot!" The pig walks out of the rocks & dies in the wash! WOOHOOOOOO!!!! Jakob's 1st archery pig is down!!!!!

I wasn't sure what to expect for his 1st archery hunt, but he held it together & got it done once again. Proud of ya' buddy!

Thanks, Bret

034-1.jpg

WOOOOOOHOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Way to go AGAIN Jacob! Congrats to you little man! You have become quite the hunter. Also a big congrats to you Bret! You are doing it all right my friend, getting Jacob out there and teaching him. Memories of pure gold! Just plain awesome! Congrats again to you both!

-Tracy

Thanks for sharing...I love to hear about the kid's hunt's...Great picture!

SOOOO COOL!!!! Congrats to Jakob on his pig! That picture is the best! The arm around your boy makes it!!! ;) Pure gold....

Sincere congrats to the boy! Thanks much for sharing!!!

S.

:)

Right on Bret tell Jakob congratulations for me. That had to be a good feeling for you to be able to watch Jakob take his first pig with a bow. Jakob has accomplished more in two years than we did in five. Now you need to teach him how to mount that sucker.

Aaryn has her first pig hunt coming up on the 22nd of this month so I hope to see you on the 23rd. Once again congrats.