Sign in to follow this  
CouesWhitetail

Missed a Monster in Mexico!

Hey All,

I was fortunate enough to get to go hunting with Mexafari again this year. I went down with Cliff Sorrels and we had a great time! We drove down the week before Christmas and the weather was pretty darn hot for hunting. So action was slower than usual.

Javier glassing at sunset one of the evenings:

post-1-1263233590.jpg

Saw a few good bucks but nothing stellar until the last morning. We had hiked up a hill to get a great vantage of an area where Javier knew a massive buck lived. We all glassed and finally one of the guides (Chino) said he found a buck. I turned my optics over and saw another buck with that one that was truly a MONSTER! As soon as I saw it I knew I wanted to go after it, so I got Javier's attention and asked him to come check it out. The sun wasn't up yet and so we were sort of waiting for more light to evaluate him and come up with a plan. I thought I could tell he was a 4x4 and he was wider than his ears and had great mass. Cliff said he could see stickers on his G-2s. I figured he was at least 120 and actually thought he was pushing 130. Unfortunately we watched him bed down in the open on a ridge that we thought would be very hard to get a shot on. But we made a plan and hoped for the best.

Javier and Cliff searching for a good buck:

post-1-1263233472.jpg

Chino, watching the big buck:

post-1-1263233547.jpg

Javier and I took off while Cliff and Chino stayed back to spot for us. We got over there two ridges away and Javier immediately spotted the buck still bedded. You could just see part of his head in the tall grass. It was only 388 yards or so from the buck so I told Javier that was fine and let's get setup for the shot. We found a nice place to set up and I got my bipod extended and put a tripod under the butt of my gun using the Jim White gun rest. Javier says "he stood up" and so I get the crosshairs on the buck. But he is facing directly away and all I have is a tail shot. I haven't ever taken a tail shot before and so now I am in a quandry. Should I take the tail shot or wait for him to turn left or right for the higher percentage broadside shot. I don't want to wound the buck and that tail looks awfully small in my 9x scope. With my .270 I have to hold over about 12-15 inches at that yardage and it's pretty hard to judge hold over on tail. It's a lot easier with a broadside deer for better scale. Anyway, the buck is looking back over his tail and I would have to hold the crosshairs on his head or higher and that idea made me worry about actually hitting him in the head and blowing the rack up!! Didn't want to do that, so anyway, I decide I will wait for a better shot. The buck continues to stand with his butt to me.

Some does spook on the ridge between us and the buck and the buck is getting nervous. Instead of turning and stopping broadside, he turns and trots off through the bushes. I have a very small window of opportunity since he turned to the left and I decide it's now or never and take a shot. But it's a very low percentage shot and I completely miss the buck. UGH!!! No more opportunity to get him where he went. We go over there anyway to check for blood and make sure we can't find him. Nothing doing...so we decide to hike aways back and take a snack break. I feel sick of course at how things turned out. My last two shots at coues have been at almost exactly the same yardage and I was very confident I could make the shot. Everything seemed to be coming up roses right up until the moment he decide to leave quickly.......

After the shot Javier asked me how big I thought the buck was and I said, "I think it's as big as the one at the ranchhouse". And I scored that buck at 129!! Here is a pic of that buck.

post-1-1263233465.jpg

I really need to upgrade my scope!! Currently I am borrowing one from my neighbor (thanks Pat!!), which I am very grateful to have, but I want to get something with more power and target turrets. Had I not had to guess hold over, I probably would have felt confident to take that shot. Hopefully my finances will allow me to get a better scope this year. I have been wanting one for years now!

Anyway, it was a great trip to Mexico!! I love going down there! the food and company were great. At the ranch house they have some Gould's turkeys that like to hang out by the house and if you call to them they will strut. Had to take some pics of that. javier says it's a flock of wild and domestic turkeys.

post-1-1263233687_thumb.jpg

post-1-1263233698_thumb.jpg

they also have some peacocks:

post-1-1263233795_thumb.jpg

I love the interesting plants down there. There is a common tree (Palo Blanco) that was full of white flowers while I was down there.

post-1-1263233711.jpg

post-1-1263233751.jpg

The ranch house was very comfortable and we had steak, shrimp, some delicious soups and much more. Even got to try some homemade "tequila". It's made from a special fruit out there that looks sort of like an olive. Anyway, they call it "cowboy stuff" and it was excellent!

pic of the kitchen:

post-1-1263233895_thumb.jpg

and some sheds:

post-1-1263233917_thumb.jpg

post-1-1263233935_thumb.jpg

and antlers on the fence:

post-1-1263234115_thumb.jpg

post-1-1263234127_thumb.jpg

Many thanks to Javier of Mexafari Outfitters for inviting me down there. I had a great time hunting with you and I really appreciate having a chance at that monster buck. And thanks for continuing to be a sponsor of this site and for your annual hunt donations to the AZ Deer Association.

Those of you looking for a hunt in Mexico where some true giants live, you should check out Mexafari. I was realizing that I think i have been down there about 4 times now and I think everytime I have seen a 120+ buck. I haven't killed one of them yet, but my friend Beth did!

Happy Hunting!

Amanda

Maybe this up coming hunt will pay off the hard work. Good Luck Amanda. ;)

Great pictures and story Amanda, looks like they have to fence the turkeys out.

--Bill

jaguarundi?

post-1-1263233465.jpg

Ocelot. A beauty, isn't it? This is the skin I thought of when Josh posted that awesome bobcat he got recently. I thought it looked like the patterns on an ocelot hide.

Amanda

Amanda, I heard about that Buck. Sounds like he was a real monster! Maybe you can get back down there before the hunt is over and get that Buck. Watch that fellow in the cowboy hat, he is a huntin Machine :P

Amanda, I heard about that Buck. Sounds like he was a real monster! Maybe you can get back down there before the hunt is over and get that Buck. Watch that fellow in the cowboy hat, he is a huntin Machine :P

I think Cliff is going to go down and try and whack the monster.....not sure if I am gonna get a chance too... we shall see. I sure hope to.

Amanda

Amanda,

Great write up.

Gets the electricity in my brain going that's for sure.

I'm sorry you missed that buck. I can only imagine the feeling afterward.

We've all been there.

X2 on what Casey said, time to upgrade the scope.

We all preach "optics optics optics" and it will pay you dividends.

As always, thanks for taking the time to show us the world in your eyes again.

Yeah, even the flowers...you and your flowers.

:P

Awesome post Amanda... :) tha miss is hard pill to swallow :( ...man, what a great opportunity...max

Sounds like the makings of a great hunt! Thanks for the report.

Amanda,Great story,Great hunt.I like to hunt with that hunter dan guy,cos he can glass like no other!!!!