tbrooks81

Intros and my 09 buck

Hello everyone,

I've been following the website and forum for quite awhile now, finally got one to share with you all. We had 3 tags for the late hunt in 6A and filled them all. We hunted for 7 solid days and found this guy on 12/28.

At sunrise my cousin Reid and I set up to glass and spotted a small buck quite a ways down the canyon. We were watching him when I looked down, 200 yds beneath us was a forky that had come out of a thick draw to feed. He appeared to be wounded and after studying him a bit decided he must have lost a front hoove in the early hunt to a gunshot wound. After discussing it I decided I would take him to put him out of his misery. As we were setting up the shot he spotted us and full out hightailed it back into the brush of the draw. After 30 minutes of waiting for him to reappear, Reid took the ranger down the hill to bird dog him out for me. The drainage we were looking over was wide open with the exception of the brushy draw and I would have a clean shot at him within 350 yards regardless of where he busted out. Reid paced the draw up and down twice to no avail, the buck would not budge. On his way back down he spotted a deer working towards the ranger. He apparently had a great look at the buck and got excited about what he saw. After failing to reach me by cell, I was still looking for the buck underneath us, he waited for the buck to clear the ridge of the basin and headed back up to get me. We were able to get out on a point down the canyon from where he had crossed over the ridge and we set up to try to find him again. Like clockwork, Reid spotted a doe coming off a bench beneath the ridge the buck had gone over. The buck was soon to follow and we were ready for him. In our haste we had mis-ranged the bench a bit and I concede I may have had a bit of buck fever. I missed the first two shots but connected with the third hitting him at the tip of the shoulder at 370 yards. We joked about giving him the opportunity of getting away! We taped him at 108 2/8th's and I couldn't be happier.

It was a great hunt and great time spent with family. Already can't wait for next year...

Cheers,

Travis

post-4108-1263416279_thumb.jpg

post-4108-1263416332_thumb.jpg

post-4108-1263416354_thumb.jpg

post-4108-1263416370_thumb.jpg

post-4108-1263416402_thumb.jpg

GREAT BUCK! CONGRADULATIONS!

Great mass and spread!

Was it the injured buck or a different deer?

CouesWhitetail.com the only sight for the Coues Enthusiast!( Thanks Amanda)

09 100" thread?

Your the man.

Any time you can find a Coues thats over 100" you have accomplished something very special.

I saw this picture this morning on the Arizona Game and Fish site too.

Amanda,

I saw your pig photo on the Arizona Game and Fish site as well.

That sure is a buck of a life time. I was out there for 16 days, Im pretty sure I passed ya a couple times on the roads.

congrats on a great buck and welcome to the site.

-sam