Sign in to follow this  
GRONG

It's game time!

Drove down to Douglas with Tim Tuesday night and got to the hotel at 2:30 AM. Got 3 hours of quick sleep and met Kevin at 6. We were the only ones going thru the border at that time and it was a breeze getting thru. After a quick stop at the military to check his gun we were done and headed south all in about 40 minutes time. After 2 1/2 hours I think we were at the ranch house and headed for an afternoon glass. I think it was pretty uneventful evening for all of us but at least we were glassin.

Sure was nice to be in camp with Phil and Jim again. We swapped stories and BS'd till way to dang late then hit the hills again early the next morning. Jim glassed up a buck across a big canyon while Phil was stalkin in on a nice buck since it was his last day to hunt. Since Tim was on the opposite side of the canyon I talked him in on the radio to it and he made a great stalk and a quick one shot kill to score on his buck. Not to long after, Phil got in close to the buck he was "settling" for and made 4 shots only to miss them all (sorry Phil). Like Jim said, "His heart just wasn't in it." and he was probably right on since they had already passed some pretty dang nice bucks a couple days before.

That evening I walked way out on a point and glassed up a small, tight racked 3 point and a huge 3pt grooming each other's faces and necks. Thought this was supposed to be the rut..... Regardless, I knew this big buck was a shooter for my standards and I called Phil on the radio and said I'm goin for him! With failing light I ran off the ridge, across a deep drainage and up on higher ridge which ended up not being close enough for a shot so with what light was left I took some quick video. I couldn't believe the length of the eyeguards on this buck and knew if I got to see him again he was gonna be in trouble. We all got a little more excited that night when we watched my footage on Phil's computer. What was weird was that these two bucks licked on each other for at least 25 minutes! Quite odd....

Well the next morning found Tim and I out on the end of the ridge and the wind was awful. Despite the wind we saw a lot of deer activity that day but couldn't turn up the buck with the big eyeguards. However, around 3 or so that afternoon Tim called me to tell me there was a pretty nice buck coming my way chasing a doe. Not really knowing where these deer were that he was watching I just held my position. Tim said the doe stopped and I think the doe sees you. Then he said that the buck was a real nice 3pt. Then he says, OH AND HE'S GOT A 4" DROP TINE!!! THEN, he says, WAIT! NO, HE'S A 4PT WITH A 4" DROPTINE!!!!!! Now I was totally rattled and a little frustrated since I didn't know where they were at and the doe was already watching me. AAAAHH!! Tim was giving me the commentary from his POV and said they turned and went the other way. DANGIT!!! Oh well I guess but we both hoped to find him again in our remaining days.

Next morning found us glassing from the same spot again and Tim and I split up a 100 yards or so from each other. Luckily the morning started off without any wind and it was a gorgeous day. After about 30 minutes of glassing I spotted a doe approximately a mile away from us and it looked as if she was "necking" with another deer. I put the spotting scope up on them and realize IT'S HIM!!! Only this time he was in an awful spot a half mile farther than where he'd been 2 nights before and clear across a deep canyon. I bailed off the ridge again and 30 minutes later I was in position 650 yards from the now bedded buck. Tim crossed after I got set up and met me there a while later. We discussed our options and I crept onto a lower ridge that would eventually put me at 475 yards so I took it. I laid on my belly in the prone position for a few hours waiting for the buck to stand up and when he did he only offered me a butt shot and walked strait away where neither of us could see him. DANGIT AGAIN!!!! Finally decided to move positions to a steep ridge line across a deep and steep draw which turned out where we lost about 50 yards but now we had a great view of the entire ridge he was on. Got all set up for where we'd been watching him all day and played the waiting game again. About 3:30 and about a 150 yards north of where we'd seen the buck I see a doe come out on an open and narrow ridge with my eyes. I put the binos up only to see a large racked buck following her. I said out loud, "DON'T TELL ME, DON'T TELL ME.......", knowing full well it was the buck!! They made it thru all the brush without either of us seeing them. How typical is that? Anyway I got set up real quick while Tim was hitting him with the range finder. Got set the best I could and pulled the trigger and kept pulling only to realize I hadn't flipped the safety all the way off!!! DANGIT AGAIN!!!!! Thinking I'd lost my chance since they both went over the ridge line I was cussing myself when Tim said, "HERE THEY COME BACK!" Buck made it thru some brush and came out on the slope across a small draw and he said, "536 YARDS!!" Knowing the second line down from the crosshairs was good at 530 yards I held right on him and pulled the trigger. HIT!! Still standing so I let another rip and hit again!! Buck made it 20 yards or so and stopped broadside and I squeezed off another and Tim said, "YOU HIT THAT TREE PERFECTLY!!" Final round in the .300 Rem Ultra Mag and I found the buck in the scope again and let the last one rip. Tim says, "YOU GOT HIM AGAIN!!" Tim watched as the buck arched it's head back then flopped limp on the ground in front of it!!!! YAHOOOOO!!!!!!!!! I was pumped and couldn't wait to see my buck. In just a few seconds I was ready to just float across the canyon and go get him when Tim voiced his concern that I was basically out of my mind if I thought I could cross this deep sucker and be back in time before it got completely dark. DANG IT AGAIN!!!!!!!!!! Glad Tim was with me to talk some rational into me cause had he not been there I would've been down the deep cut we were next to only to find myself bluffed up like I did the following morning. Had to hike clear out of that bottom the next morning only to find another way down that steep dude.

Here's a look down and across this steep canyon I had to find my way across the next morning. From where I'm at it's about 600' down and about 450' up the other side up onto that grassy bench where the buck was.

post-3-1264141197_thumb.jpg

Found the buck without too much trouble and this is what I find laying in the grass..... Talk about PUMPED!!!!

post-3-1264141367_thumb.jpg

Drug him out of the draw and up onto the ridge line for some pictures. Enjoy

post-3-1264141610_thumb.jpg

post-3-1264141661_thumb.jpg

post-3-1264141889_thumb.jpg

After boning the buck out and making it back across the mother of a canyon I made the rest of the 2 miles back to the quad and dropped off the meat then hiked back out to Tim for the rest of the evening. Right at dark he spots the big droptine buck but it's 680 yards away and down a big canyon.

Here's Tim glassing down on for the buck just before dark.

post-3-1264142567_thumb.jpg

I'll let Tim fill in the details of the following time looking for this buck if he wants.

The buck Phil had shot at on the last day was a really pretty 3pt buck that I had passed back on the hunt a month ago on my first trip down there and I spotted this buck for 3 more days in a row after Phil left. Having glassed our tails off from daylight to dark every day I told Tim on the last day that if I saw this buck again I was gonna go after it. Thing is, that when Phil left he knew he couldn't come back so he offered me his tag!! What a guy and I hope he knows how much I appreciate it! About 20 minutes into glassing that final morning I again spotted this same buck and told Tim I was gone! I unloaded all my unneeded optics etc that I wouldn't need cause I knew the pack out was gonna be a rough one if I got him. I made it across the canyon in about 45 minutes and belly crawled the last 25 yards onto a bench only 312 yards from the unsuspecting buck. I got prone once again and after 2 quick shots the buck was mine! It was horribly steep where the buck died but I managed to get some great pics and boned him all out.

post-3-1264143385_thumb.jpg

post-3-1264143553_thumb.jpg

post-3-1264143718_thumb.jpg

post-3-1264143850_thumb.jpg

Just before I left on the hunt my 4yr old son Isaac told me to take his Speedracer car for good luck. Seemed to have paid off.

post-3-1264141784_thumb.jpg

post-3-1264142001_thumb.jpg

Buck on left grossed 100 5/8" and the right one grossed 108 5/8" with 5 1/4" & 4 7/8" eyeguards

post-3-1264144079_thumb.jpg

Here's a few more shots of the fantastic country we got to hunt. Thanks for reading and I hope you all enjoy the pics....

post-3-1264144425_thumb.jpg

post-3-1264144483_thumb.jpg

post-3-1264144597_thumb.jpg

Awesome write up Josh! Congratulations on a couple of beautiful bucks. It was great sharing what time we did hunting and camping together and I am happy that you could put my tag to such good use. This season was probably one of my best but not because of the deer that I saw and even though I didn't kill a buck it was such a pleasure hunting great country with such good company.

Here is a video of the buck that I missed on my last day and the second buck you took.

Josh's Buck

Congrats again buddy it was a heck of a ride!

AWESOME Josh!!! Great bucks and I really enjoyed the whole story!! Thanks for sharing the details and taking us on the hunt with you! Nice CW.com shirts too!!! :)

I love the speed racer car!! Way to go Isaac!

Amanda

Couple of beautiful bucks bra, congrats......

Great pictures and a write up as well, thanks for posting'em up.....

"I laid on my belly in the prone position for a few hours waiting"

BTW- Way easier on your belly in the prone position than standing in the prone position. You made an excellent choice.... :P

Awesome stuff, there. Thanks for sharing the story and photos.

Great story and great bucks. I love the eye guards on that big guy. He has great length as well. Congrats.