Sign in to follow this  
GameHauler

What to Do.

Free range barbary sheep in west Tx or NM , they're wary :ph34r: as they come and tough too , best not take that 7-08 , it takes a real gun to bring down one those bad boys ! :lol: .

what is a "easter" whitetail? bill is gonna be all yanked over that one. ain't they just got stubby horns and in the velvet that time o' year? ya orta spend that money on a roseta stone class and learn ya some english. Lark.

If you are going to put in for Oryx this year, the application deadline is a week from tomorrow.

--Bill

I am headed to hunt Oryx in a month so I can let you know how it goes. Seems to me if you are dreaming about hunting Dall sheep whats a few more years to wait. It would be the hunt of a lifetime. Eastern whitetail would be great I am just not sure if PA will have the caliber of bucks you are looking for. So of the three if I had to choose hands down it would be a January San Carlos tag. This hunt would cost you the least in travel expenses you probably could hunt nearly the entire season and with some scouting there are some giant bucks. Also the Oryx draw is by no way a guarantee. I am interested to see what you decide.

Brian

Dall sheep would be the H.O.A.L. That is my second dream hunt. First, hunt moose up in Alaska.

IMO, I would do something different than hunt on the Rez for coues deer. Coues deer hunting is something that is possible to do every year. Up in your location, you can take some monster coues deer too. So if I were in your shoes, I'd elect for something you can't do all too often. Spending some time with friends and family back east and harvesting a nice buck would be my choice. You'd have fun.

What a great problem to have on your hands :rolleyes:

DIY black bear/Sitka deer on POW island in AK. I think a trip with a outfitter like Homer Ocean on Kodiak might be above your penny jar limit. I think they are about $1800 http://www.homerocean.com/deer_hunting.htm

Antelope in WY, or a landowner tag in NM

Does NM require the fee for all species with the application now so you would have to send in the oryx fee and hope to be drawn? If so, the chance to be drawn as a NR may increase quite a bit.

Doug,

It's full fee when you apply this year.

"Full Fee Up Front

Anyone applying for any public draw deer, elk, pronghorn antelope, bighorn sheep, oryx, ibex, javelina or Barbary sheep license, MUST pay the full license and application fee when applying."

--Bill

Nm Barbary sheep permit is only about 1/4 the cost of Oryx or Ibex . Like Coues any Barbary sheep is a trophy but a big ram is pretty spectacular .

That trip to POW island is one I've always wanted to do , too .

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I have been checking the thread

and like most of the ideas but $.

I really want to do something this or next year

and then maybe I can win the lottery.

POW Island would be nice for a really big Sitka. I'm still trying to figure out how to get back up to Kodiak. :rolleyes:

--Bill

Since money is an issue perhaps you should just go Snipe hunting? Guides are usually free and always looking for a new sucker. If you buy your flashlight batteries at Walmart you'll get a free snipe hunting plastic sack to go with them. Then all you need to do is find a good sturdy stick to beat on a rock to call them in. Just think, these animals are so rare that your taxidermy and meat processing fees will be nothing because the chances are that you'll never catch one! ;)

No problem Mike, I'm always there for you!

If the snipe hunting plans don't work for you then I say go for that Oryx hunt in New Mexico. A uniquely beautiful animal that will likley be the center piece of your taxidermy collection along with some of the tastiest table fare around. Not to mention the fact that once you get drawn the chances are slim that you'll go home empty handed!

Good luck!!!