Sign in to follow this  
azhuntnut

Need advice for GPS purchase

I am lookin to pick up a new GPS soon and would like to hear some feedback on some of the units you guys use. There are a few options I want on the unit that include touchscreen, great reception even in canyons or the vehicle, able to show terrain(elevation) and old and current roads in the area. I am sure there is more, so shoot me some ideas. David

If you decide you don't want the touchscreen, the Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx is a dang nice GPS. All of those features you mentioned, minus the touchscreen. It has more programs than I'll ever use, but being able to have topo maps, contour lines, old petered out roads and such is awesome. I couldn't believe some of the roads the thing has on it, not to mention tanks and springs. It picks up satellites with the WAAS capability indoors. I don't know how, but the thing picks up signals inside enclosed brick buildings. Pretty cool, glad I picked it up.

If you get a chance, make sure and read up on the reviews for the touchscreens. I was wanting one of those as well, but many folks had mentioned issues in being able to view the screen in certain types of situations i.e. sunlight or shade. But, they sure do look cool.

The 60csx/60cx have the best reception available because it has a small 1" external antenna and a high gain receiver chip. I get reception in heavy forest, canyons, my house, and industrial buildings. Like he said, more map programs and applications than you could ever use.

I would get the 60cx over the 60csx. The 60csx has an electronic compass and a baro altimeter. The GPS satellites provide good altitude, and as long as you are moving it has the compass/heading. The electronic compass is really only good for when you are not moving. The electronic compass drains the batteries very fast, and every time you change the batteries you have to recalibrate the electronic compass. The 60cx is cheaper too.

Mark

I have the 60CSx and really like it. Recieption is great. I've had it for about 6 months now and am still learning the functionality. Highly recommend it.

I like the availibility of an electronic compass. my current GPS (etrex vista hcx) has the compass and the previous one did not. I would agree that most of the time you just turn it off, but sometimes if you are just standing there and want to get your bearings and not wanting to move, it is a great feature. I have not played with touch screen GPS but I know they can be annoying on phones...read a lot of review's before purchasing would be my advice.

I also recommend the Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx. I have been wanting one for the last couple years. I teach some geocaching classes and whenever someone brings in one of those I realize how nice they are. The one this past weekend got reception inside a building when the Garmin Etrex's didn't.

The Rhinos are great too. Lots of people on this site love those if you want a radio built in.

Amanda

+1 on the electronic compas, its a big plus for me. If any of your buddies have the rino, buck up and buy one. They are nothing special with out a few of them. When your whole group has them they are indespensible. Pick ups drop off, tryng to catch up, or help packing out are a very few of the upsides. I have a really old (8years) etrex and 3 rinos. both will get me back home or find my salt or spring or camera. I would hate to loose the rinos though when im hunting with a few people. oh if you get the electronic compas learn how to reset it. They need to be calibrated every once in a while. For me i hit a button and do 2 circles. When they are off calibration they are dumber than a sack of rocks. I thought my rino was the stupidest machine ever built untill I learned you have to calibrate them every once in a while. let us know what you get and how you like it

When they are off calibration they are dumber than a sack of rocks. I thought my rino was the stupidest machine ever built untill I learned you have to calibrate them every once in a while. let us know what you get and how you like it

The electronic compass needs to be re-calibrated every time you change batteries, which is every 10 hours with the with the 60csx.

Mark

Another vote for the 60CSX. I'm kind of leary about the touchscreens as I think it would be more likely to get scratched up.

Ron

Thanks for the recommendations. I have seen the Garmin 60cx in action and was impressed. I had a fella hunting with me last year that had a touch screen that I really liked, but I can't remember who made it. I was able to see the terrain and roads in the area, plus just touch the screen and move it to the next area. David

My Garmin rino has bee great to me. I am not familiar with the 60csx so cant compare. I like that my other friends have it as well and you can poll each others location. Only problem with mine now is that after the years of abuse the antenna is starting to come loose from the body of the unit.

I love my Rhino 120 's , but I am having the same problem with my antenna , they are falling apart with the copper wire hanging out as the antenna.I wonder if you can send them back to Garmin and get them over hauled ? I also like the radio , but coverage is really bad , unless you are 200 yards away .

Just a heads up that REI will be having their anniversary sale May 21-31. and the Garmin 60CSx is on sale for $199.99 Great price, but leads on to wonder if Garmin is coming out with a new model.