Sign in to follow this  
rclouse79

Theoretical Situation

You sold all of your firearms. Your nazi old lady wears the pants in your house and she tells you that you can only buy one hunting rifle to use for the rest of your life. You have $1500 to spend. You enjoy hunting Coues every year, but also like to put in for elk hunts. What setup would you go with knowing this would be the last rifle and scope you would ever lay your hands on?

Disclaimer: My wife is a sweetheart and this situation is purely theoretical.

You sold all of your firearms. Your nazi old lady wears the pants in your house and she tells you that you can only buy one hunting rifle to use for the rest of your life. You have $1500 to spend. You enjoy hunting Coues every year, but also like to put in for elk hunts. What setup would you go with knowing this would be the last rifle and scope you would ever lay your hands on?

Disclaimer: My wife is a sweetheart and this situation is purely theoretical.

I had the answer for ya but then I read your disclaimer. Sorry I even thought such a thing. :lol: :lol: jk

7mm would be my choice and the 270 second. You poor fellow! ;)

TJ

Here's what I'm doing. Browning BAR Shorttrac .270 WSM and Leupold VX-3L CDS 4.5-14x50mm. I'm just in under 1300 bucks so far. Scope gets here Friday. My wife wears my gym shorts and my nike shirts but not my work pants. :lol:

A T/C Encore Pro with 22 different barrels hidden in various locations around the house.

Here's what I'm doing. Browning BAR Shorttrac .270 WSM and Leupold VX-3L CDS 4.5-14x50mm. I'm just in under 1300 bucks so far. Scope gets here Friday. My wife wears my gym shorts and my nike shirts but not my work pants. :lol:

+1

or divorce her.

sps 700 in 300RUM w/ break and timney. either zeiss glass or the 1" Sawros w/ a BR reticle. Basicly what I have now except the 1" swaros are 4-500$ less

EDIT: I also have enough bullets, cases, powder, and primers to last me a LONG time.

DesertBull has the correct answer I'm afraid! The only other option I would consider would have to be the trusty 270 for its all around performance capabilities, popular ammunition which can be bought across the counter at your local WalMarts, sporting goods stores and even some drug stores! (Springerville- awesome drug store!) As for a scope, I would suggest the Zeiss Conquest 4.5x14x50 or the up and coming Vortex 6.5x20x50 BDC! I would have to say this question has come up many a time over a campfire with a few beers being consumed and a great conversational topic it is! ;)

I am a .308 man. When i'm not killing deer with it my brother borrows it and kills elk with it. Great gun proven gun, and ammo abounds.

A 7 mm Remington Magnum (any major maker) with a 3x9X Leupold scope with duplex reticle. With the money left over, I'd apply toward hunting something out of state, knowing I was ready for anything in the world except Africa's dangerous game..

Bill Quimby

308 rem 700 ( 850 dollars )

zeiss 4x14x50 (750 dollars)

telling your wife the extra 100 was for her flowers that you picked from the house down the block (priceless) :P :rolleyes: :lol:

I would have kept the two rifles you just sold.... Between the .243 and the 7mag you were geared up for anything in this state and beyond...... If you just want one I would look very closely at the .270 WSM. It is faster, flatter, and hits harder than the 270.... just saying... Any good scope with the BDC or turrets....

Good luck.

Whitey