Sign in to follow this  
coueschaser3

Upper lake Mary

Hit upper lake mary after work yesterday for an hour or so. First time fishing for pike.....wont be my last. Most people were using frozen anchovies, i stuck to spoons and spinner baits. Got two, a little dinky one and then a decent one on a terminator. Heres a pic of the larger. Gonna try ashurst next for some of the bigger boys.

post-2043-1273874489_thumb.jpg

Very Very cool!!!!! ;)

have not done that in years think I might have to get back up there, nice fish

It's been over 25yrs since I've fished there and congratulations on a nice fish. I hope to get some fishing in during the cwt outing. Thanks for sharing! :)

TJ

Congrats on a nice AZ pike!

I wish AZGFD would put length/bag limits on pike at Lake Mary. Most people in Az seem to have no love for these fish, but I think they are a great fish for sportfishing. They are a very agressive fish and they grow fast. I know they eat other sport fish, but we have plenty of other lakes for trout and other sport fish. If they managed it properly, the fish in the picture most likely be below minimum length. Where I used to fish back east the minimum length is 27" and it is not uncommon to catch 10 lb + fish. At times they will hit almost any lure you throw at them.

As it is now AZGFD encourages people to catch and keep all the pike they can. I think they should continue to do this at other lakes, but maintain just one as a trophy pike lake.

Back east Large pike are commonly foundin the same lakes as largmouth/smallmouth bass, walleye, perch, bluegill, and crappie and all have size/bag limits.

Does anyone else share my point of view about Northern Pike?

The problem with the pike is that they will not be limited to just one lake. The illegal bucket stockers that feel pike need to be in more lakes have transplanted pike to Ashurst, Marshall and Francis Short Pond. A recent netting of Ashurst produced just ONE trout. Ashurst and Lake Mary used to be great trout lakes.

Nice to see you are getting out and having fun Tim!

Thanks for the pick.

Hopefully we'll see you this weekend at the ADA banquet?

Cool!!!! Is there fishing going on in Lower Lake Mary??? Any little pike or rainbows down there this summer???? Just cuious... ;)

S.

:)

MattMan is right on, AZGFD is gill netting lots of the lakes up here to try and get them under control. They have pretty much taken over Rainbow, and I've heard of several over 20 lbs. caught in gill nets.

The only pike I've caught were from the McNary mill ponds, but last I heard, the tribe doesn't allow fisthing there anymore. Anyone know the scoop on that?

Amanda,

A neighbor came home with several pike a few weeks ago from Upper Lake Mary. He fried up the strip filets and it was excellent white meat, firm and not fishy tasting- much better than trout or bass. He pickled the bony section and it too was great. Stayed firm and the bones dissolved. I am sure we ate our lifetime mercury quota that evening.

Doug~RR

Pike taste great. We eat them when we go to Minnesota. You just have to cut off the Y-bones that they have. They are by far the most fun of any fish to catch though. The best fighters out there.

When I lived in Flag we used to hit stoneman in the am and Upper Lake Mary in the pm with top water lures for pike. Talk about Violent strikes, holy crap. They would hit so hard it would give you goose bumps the Zara spook and white rat were always the best for me. Brings back memories of life in Flag. thnx AG