Ernesto C

How will you make this shot?

Using your rifle of choice how will you take this shot? Please let us know what rifle you are using, caliber, type of bullet, grains and what type of scope, scope power, etc. The more information you put it the better. Will you hold over? will you aim dead center? Where will you aim to compensate for the wind? Or maybe you dont feel you can take that shoot and decide to pass, what ever you do please tell us why.

Here is the scenario:

Range: 450 yards

Wind: 25 mph from right to left.

Here is your trophy....and he's already looking at you:

DSCN0316.jpg

Thanks ....Ernesto C

Boy is he missing some horn. Are you sure there isn't anything not beat up in the unit? :ph34r:

Depends on if I get my new swaro scope!! Otherwise I would probably wait for a better shot....25 mph wind is pretty darn strong for that long a shot.

neat topic Ernesto...thanks for posting this

Yep to far and too windy for this cowboy. I'd risk giving him time to calm down and work on a better approach.

Besides, I'd probably hit him high on the horn and give him a matching flattop set.

cmc

Big Big difference between could and should. To far in that kind of wind for most anybody to make a clean and sure kill. I'd rather be patient than risk loosing a questionable opportunity than wounding and not killing clean, one of natures more majestic creatures. But as I've read on here to many times someone will most assuredly claim they could and should take the shot. :lol:

Either get myself to 300yds and I will take that shot compensate about 15 - 18" for wind Scope on 10x

I feel confident either in prone or standing using a tree at that distance

Or wait for the wind to die down and Crank up the turret using my cheat sheet on my scope cap. Scope on 14x

Prone only having rifle supported as much as possible forearm and buttstock, I usually have a bipod and use my pack to support the butt.

I would hold about 4" Under the left horn. 450 yds is a long shot so I am not going to rush it because he has me pegged

I shoot a .270 topped with a 4.5-14 VXIII, shooting 140gr Nosler Ballistic tip

I know there are those who shoot very accurate at that range and can probably compensate and make the shot under the ideal situation but I'm certainly not one of them. It amazes me to see how the technology has advanced over the years. These individuals are far and few between. I'm old school so I say it is unethical for anyone to pull the trigger in these conditions. If you say you can't get any closer then how are you going to get there to retrieve your animal if you luck one in? Just my opinion! :)

TJ

i could make that shot with my rifle over my shoulder lookin' through the scope with a mirror and only one eye open. 450 in the wind? i'd aim a little into the wind and shoot him in the lungs. part of hunting is shooting. practice a lot and tmost shots ain't that hard. that's a fair sized animal and has a bunch of kill zone. don't let lack of confidence keep you from shooting. practice until you're confident. Lark.

looks like the blow flies got into that guys sinus cavity already... I'd hold my stabilizer right on his back and throw 385 grains of broadhead and carbon arrow at him.

With a once in a lifetime sheep tag in my pocket I would

A: not take any marginal shot at that distance with that much crosswind on such a rare hunt.

B: I wouldn't shoot that ram. Sinuitis took too much off of him. Remember, there isn't a next season on this hunt. Find the big boy with a full head in the unit..

I will stick my neck out as the lone shooter so far. Sure I would try and get closer and/or wait for the wind to die down. However, if you have the best equipment and have practiced and reproduced in the elements then this shot is not only doable but every bit as ethical in that man's hands than possibly another unprepared man's hands in a relatively easier situation. Having said that, I would feel more excited about the shot with the wind blowing left to right vs. right to left in this case but still comfortable. Also, I would want to know if it was a steady wind and if it was a calibrated wind measurement. If you have these factors measured and confirmed with reproducible shooting equipment then it is just physics and physics is always right. If you are GUESSING the wind and GUESSING the windage hold then I agree with the previous........you have no business even contemplating this shot.

This almost exact situation played out for me when I harvested my Gemsbok in SA last June. http://forums.coueswhitetail.com/forums/in...showtopic=14352 I didn't hesitate on the shot. In fact it didn't even cross my mind not to shoot. It was target practice on any other day. I only say that because I am glad I was prepared (eliminating the ethical dilemma) for that so that I didn't have to watch my once in a lifetime trophy disappear in to the sunset. Great thread.