Ok the first one was a hard one because of the wind and for some the distance. Here is scenario # 2.

Again, this is based on the rifle and scope you own. Tell us caliber, scope bullet grain etc. Will you hold over? How many inches? How will you make this shot? Can you make it?

Last day of your hunt, the buck of your dreams, only one hour of daylight left you are coming back to your truck from 2 days of back pack hunting far away from the roads when you notice some movement on the oposite ridge only 300 yards from your truck! It is a Big Buck! The one you always wanted for your wall. You decide you want this buck but have no time to get closer..he is at:

400 yards

Wind: 5 to 10 mph from right to left ......Where will you aim?

MexicoJan06011.jpg

MexicoJan06010.jpg

Thanks......Ernesto C

I would aim about 3-4 in.above the back of the deer. if i was using my 30-06! B)

If'n I was gonna shoot that buck, I would dial in 1 1/2 MOA of windage and about 5 1/2 MOA of elevation, hold right where I wanted the bullet to land and whack him.

6.5x284 Win with a 130 grain Norma Diamond line.

I'm shooting my .270win with 130 gr round, I'm lining up about the top of the lungs with the vertical hair just on the inside of the right foreleg and squeezing. I sight my rifles in about 2.5 inches high at 100 yds, gives me about a 250 yd zero depending on the ammo, with a good sized kill zone like he presented he won't go far from that spot.

Range it.

Dial it.

Shoot it.

Aim where I wanted the bullet to strike.

I dream about seeing my dream buck within 880yrds and a 5-10mph wind.

7mmRM 162 Amax

300WM 208 Amax

I would cheat with my rapid z recticle. 270 with a 130 grain bullet.

for the record i would take him at legal sun rise opening morning. bone him out and help my tag mates fill there tags.

ruger m77 mkII 300wm 180g nosler accubond over 75g h1000, burris fulveiw II 3-9x40 bplex. i hold the 4th hash center mass and let the wind walk the bullet about 10in left through the lungs.

then i would do a back flip :D

I would aim about 3-4 in.above the back of the deer. if i was using my 30-06! B)

30-06 zero in at how many yards?? 3-4 inches your bullet will need to drop only 9 inches at 400 yards in order to hit the deer dead center on the lungs; otherwise you'll hit low.

Ernesto C

I'm shooting my .270win with 130 gr round, I'm lining up about the top of the lungs with the vertical hair just on the inside of the right foreleg and squeezing. I sight my rifles in about 2.5 inches high at 100 yds, gives me about a 250 yd zero depending on the ammo, with a good sized kill zone like he presented he won't go far from that spot.

Mmmm I'm afraid you will also hit low.

Elevation Turret: Click, Click, Click

Windgae Turret: Click, Click, Click

SQUEEEEEZZZZZEEEE... Hopefully bang flop.

If it had to be a fast shot, crank the scope to 10, bracket the deer between the first and second bowtie in the scope, hold back about 6" on the deer.

If I had time, twirl 3.5 elevation and 1.5 wind.

Either scenario, dead deer.

6.5-300 RCM 140 Bergers

I made almost the exact shot with my A bolt 270wsm 4 years ago. 150 gr Ballistic silver tip, zeroed at 300 yards. I held 4 inches over his back and about 5 inches back. Smack, both lungs and heart. It was at 420 with about the same wind.

Since then gone to dials, range it, dial it, smack it.

400yd crosshair, aim 3 inches right of the "back of the leg line". 5mph is puhshin my bullet 4" @ 400. I'd wait for a calm spell with no gusts if I could