AzHuntingAddict

Glassing setup

I have been working on a budget for the fall hunt. I want to have a way to spend alot of time glassing, and came up with this setup. It is a lightweight camera tripod with Coolidge-made mount. What are some other setups that people have been using that works?

post-4528-1280365012_thumb.jpg

post-4528-1280365038_thumb.jpg

i uses to use that exact tripod. untill i upgraded. it does the job and its lite. i modifyed a cheap pan head for it.

The plan is to strap the bino to the board with a velcro strap. oz31p, how did you go about a pan head for this tripod? The head on it is chintzy at best, but hopefuly will make the trip. Is it worth it to have a larger heavy duty tripod for the purpose of glassing?

The plan is to strap the bino to the board with a velcro strap. oz31p, how did you go about a pan head for this tripod? The head on it is chintzy at best, but hopefuly will make the trip. Is it worth it to have a larger heavy duty tripod for the purpose of glassing?

Yes very much worth it then i would upgrade your binos but you have agood start there.

Will the binocs you have accept a tripod mount (threaded hole in the front/center)? If they do, I would suggest the Jim White adapter like these:

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/bookstore/adaptors.htm

The adapter screws into the binocs and stays there without digging into your chest. The "female" portion is attached directly to your tripod head. You can then easily insert your binocs into the female adapter on your tripod without the bulk of your current setup. These are the lightest and most compact binocular/tripod adapters I have seen anywhere and they work extremely well. Simple but effective.

post-478-1280385167_thumb.jpg

post-478-1280385188_thumb.jpg

post-478-1280385231_thumb.jpg

As for heavy tripod, IMO, not needed. The Slik Sprint Pro is under 2 pounds, extends to over 64 inches and is more than strong enough to hold any binocs. I use mine with Swaro 10x42s and 15x56. In heavy wind, big binocs will shake even with 6 lb+ tripods. I've got a Bogen 3205GN legs and 3130GN pan head - what many considered "creamed corn" when I bought it. Weighs in at around 6 pounds and probably cost me over $350. These days, it gets used for the spotting scope at the gun range (gotta-have for a full-sized spotter), still shots with the big SLR, or a quick set of legs when driving and glassing. No way I'll carry that thing around with me to hold up a pair of binoculars. The Slick Sprint will more than handle a pair of binocs @ around the same wieight as a water bottle, and fully folded, 12-16" ???? really small, light and strong, compared to even cheap wally-world tripods with plastic head compontents.

Just my opinion.

Bottom line recommendation: Slik Sprint Pro tripod, Jim White Adapter (assuming your binocs can take an adapter). If your binocs don't take an adapter, look at the Vortex Diamondback or Fury lines (Viper if in your price range). This is IMO, the fastest way to have a very good glassing setup for minimal $$.

I second what coach is saying. I use Jim Whites adapter. I have alot of tripods but my main one is the Velbon EFL-4. My son uses the slik sprint pro............The slik and the Jim white adapter for you would be the best option. PLUS, ask yourselves this. WHO really glasses ALOT for coues deer in 50MPH winds? I have hunted alot and the velbon and slik have worked well..............Alllen........

I use the Jim White UNI-DAPTOR and the Slik Pro 330DX-B. Its a little heavy but works great for me. I can sit on my butt or my little swivle chair or i can stand up. I really like the set up

I used to use a Webster Sure-lok but I don't know if they are in business anymore. It is an aluminum billet that is tapped 1/4-20 on the bottom, has a piece of closed cell, high density foam bonded to the top and velcro straps that encircle the binocs. Not all of them have that threaded post in the front to screw the adapter too. I made some on my mill that were a little sturdier when I was running Fujinon 16x70s that worked well too. That block of wood is not going to be much fun I don't think. Tripod will work- far better than hand-holding.

The thing about sturdy tripods is that the steadier you hold, the easier it is to see movement; an ear flicker, a head turn an eye bat... just saying. I have an old pistol grip head that I hate that you can have if you want to try it. I think they are abominations, but some folks like them.

The bino is a starter set for me as $$ is a stretch in this economy. I choose a great time to start my gathering of hunt equipment. I will look into the pan heads that have been suggested. I saw a pic of a setup that had a plastic base like the block, and binoculars were strapped to the block. The bushnell set I have does accept an adapter and I probably will go that route. I wanted to see what I could come up with from around the house, and not having my wife chew me out for spending alot of cash.

Coach, I looked into the link you provided and saw the velcro set up I mentioned seeing before. Thank you for the link.

I use the same set up as Allen (coueshunter) uses. Light and it works great. Bought it at the ADA banquet a couple years ago in the silent auction at a great price. Allen, congrats on the tag by the way!

The bino is a starter set for me as $$ is a stretch in this economy. I choose a great time to start my gathering of hunt equipment. I will look into the pan heads that have been suggested. I saw a pic of a setup that had a plastic base like the block, and binoculars were strapped to the block. The bushnell set I have does accept an adapter and I probably will go that route. I wanted to see what I could come up with from around the house, and not having my wife chew me out for spending alot of cash.

Coach, I looked into the link you provided and saw the velcro set up I mentioned seeing before. Thank you for the link.

I saw an extra adapter lying around earlier this week. If I can find it, it's yours if you want it. Machined from a piece of 6061 to go on the front thread type binos like pictured.

Thanks Amanda. I need to look at getting better binoculars and tripod too. The tripod head you have fits the tripods that are offered on the site, but will it fit the small tripod I currently have? What size stud does it attach to?

Thanks Amanda. I need to look at getting better binoculars and tripod too. The tripod head you have fits the tripods that are offered on the site, but will it fit the small tripod I currently have? What size stud does it attach to?

Are you talking about the Jim White head? Or the velbon head?

Doesn't make too much difference, I always include whatever thread adapters are needed for whatever tripod the person is putting it on.